ESPN: Sexual abuse at Michigan State extends to basketball, football programs

The fallout from the Larry Nassar scandal just got even worse for Michigan State. Yesterday, Nassar, the Spartans’ team doctor and USA Gymnastics physician, was sentenced to 40-175 years in prison for sexually abusing his patients. Earlier this week, Michigan State president Lou Anna Simon stepped down, and this morning, athletic director Mark Hollis did the same, right after he was shown a report from ESPN that just went public.

Outside the Lines is reporting that the culture of sexual abuse at Michigan State extends BEYOND Nassar and into the men’s basketball and football programs. Yes, the same basketball program headed by Tom Izzo, considered by most to be the patron saint of college basketball.

Outside the Lines also has obtained never-before-publicized reports of sexual or violent incidents involving members of Izzo’s storied basketball program, including one report made against a former undergraduate student-assistant coach who was allowed to continue coaching after he had been criminally charged for punching a female MSU student in the face at a bar in 2010. A few months later, after the Spartans qualified for the 2010 Final Four, the same assistant coach was accused of sexually assaulting a different female student.

The report details the various sexual assault charges brought against Michigan State football and basketball players over the years and ESPN’s four-year fight with the university to get unredacted copies of the police reports. The list of charges is sickening, but the lengths to which Hollis and other university officials went to cover the crimes up is just as awful. Former Spartan Travis Walton is the former player/assistant coach mentioned above, and the report also details rape allegations against Adreian Payne and Keith Appling that never resulted in any kind of punishment.

Read the entire report over at ESPN. Brace yourself; it ain’t pretty.

[ESPN]

[mobile_ad]

10 Comments for ESPN: Sexual abuse at Michigan State extends to basketball, football programs

1. Kevin C
    2:29 pm January 26, 2018 Permalink

This is getting ugly fast. I wish this was Duke instead of MSU…actually kinda like Izzo, and he’s also a close friend of Cal’s.

• Bull Filmer
      6:31 pm January 26, 2018 Permalink

Father Karras: Did you do that? [Regan murmurs; Fr. Karras pushes the drawer closed] Do it again.

Regan: In time.

Father Karras: No, now.

Regan: In time. Mirabile dictu (Wonderful to relate), don’t you agree?

• Bull Filmer
      6:33 pm January 26, 2018 Permalink

Kevin – my bad. Meant to reply to KYcats11 as I too wish dook was under the microscope.

• Kevin C
      7:37 pm January 26, 2018 Permalink

Thanks for the followup reply, Bull…I was seriously like “WTF is this guy talking abou??? 0_o “

2. ukbradstith
    2:38 pm January 26, 2018 Permalink

Hope Izzo really didn’t have anything to do with this. I like living under the illusion that there is some decency left.

3. KYcats11
    2:42 pm January 26, 2018 Permalink

I selfishly wish this was happening to Duke. But, this is a horrible situation overall. Grown men, who do not know respect, and selfishly act on their desires.

4. ClutchCargo
    2:51 pm January 26, 2018 Permalink

This stuff is getting to the point that I don’t even feel the slightest bit of joy in seeing the guilty parties brought to justice. When the Penn St. thing blew up, I was happy they finally threw that creep in prison and severely punished the university. Now it’s like waiting for the other shoe to drop.

• ClutchCargo
      2:53 pm January 26, 2018 Permalink

I guess what I’m saying is the sick feeling I have for the victims completely overshadows any joy I would have previously felt in seeing somebody go to prison.

5. Han
    3:03 pm January 26, 2018 Permalink

Feel bad for the victims but hopefully they find some solace in this stuff coming to light (and hopefully those who just want to be left alone will be). Izzo would’ve been aware of allegations and of cover-ups–there’s no way he wouldn’t (just as Rick knew everything going on at Louisville). It’s a shame another great of coaching has these kinds of skeletons in his closet.

That said, it’s still interesting to me that we have this and UConn, and the ongoing stuff with Louisville, and yet where are the investigations into Kansas after what’s-his-name’s car accident and departure? Where are the investigations into the academics of the freshmen Duke brought in this season? And we all know how the NCAA screwed the pooch with UNC.

The inconsistent application of their wrath simply lessens everything about these cases. Meanwhile, rival fans and sportswriters continue to bash Cal and our program.

6. Realme
    3:03 pm January 26, 2018 Permalink

Well I could use some bad news for Louisville to cheer me up after reading that stuff. Adreian Payne was being treated as an epic hero for his close relationship with that little girl who died from cancer. Izzo is looked at as one of the best guys in coaching. This is all very disappointing.