ESPN says Aaron Harrison vs. Devin Booker is a position battle to watch

aarondevin

When the Harrison Twins announced they were returning for their sophomore year, it was widely assumed they’d assume their spots in the starting lineup. However, ESPN’s Eamonn Brennan says Aaron will have a big contender for the shooting guard spot in Devin Booker, listing it as one of the position battles to watch next season:

Kentucky: Aaron Harrison versus Devin Booker

Kentucky’s most fascinating positional intrigue will come from the frontcourt, where John Calipari has approximately 754 NBA-prospect forwards to parse into some recognizable rotation. It’s harder to imagine him shaking things up in the backcourt after March’s runner-up run, especially now that the Harrisons seem to have figured things out. But Booker is absolutely a player to watch, especially if one or both of the Harrisons regress.

It’s hard to imagine Cal splitting up the Twins in the starting lineup, especially after Aaron’s dazzling tournament run, but stranger things have happened. Could Devin Booker eventually earn a spot in the starting five over Aaron?

41 Comments for ESPN says Aaron Harrison vs. Devin Booker is a position battle to watch

1. Steve
    2:02 pm May 15, 2014 Permalink

Uhhh, no.

• Luther
      7:30 pm May 15, 2014 Permalink

Uhhh, no – and it’s not even close…

Must be a slow news day…

2. truBLU
    2:04 pm May 15, 2014 Permalink

“Could Devin Booker eventually earn a spot in the starting five over Aaron?” No…unless Cal wants Aaron to learn some pg skills to bolster his resume for the NBA, a la Patterson and his perimeter game a few years ago.

• truBLU
      2:12 pm May 15, 2014 Permalink

But I don’t see that with Ulis in the fold.

3. Elwood Blues
    2:05 pm May 15, 2014 Permalink

4. j rock
    2:05 pm May 15, 2014 Permalink

why not have two great shooters in at the same time? Instead of against each other, put them on opposite sides and put 2 of our 7 footers in to rebound! 3 guards who can score and 2 bigs to clean up the rest!

5. Johnny Foosball
    2:06 pm May 15, 2014 Permalink

No way. If Booker starts, it will be at the three spot. Aaron has a great shot at being our leading scorer next year.

6. stoops poops icecream
    2:18 pm May 15, 2014 Permalink

I would venture to guess if Booker shows enough to get on the floor, he and Aaron Harrison would play together just as James Young and Aaron Harrison played together. That seems more natural than trying to force Alex Poythress or Trey Lyles to play the 3.

7. UKgrad'13
    2:19 pm May 15, 2014 Permalink

Nope, not gonna happen. Booker comes off the bench this year, probably starts next year.

8. Twitter Account Denied
    2:20 pm May 15, 2014 Permalink

What a great problem to have!

9. Musehobo
    2:20 pm May 15, 2014 Permalink

Thought this was posted a day or two ago. Anyway, Booker won’t start over Aaron unless he can match Aaron’s offensive contributions and pass his defensive contributions.

10. Sam Jones
    2:22 pm May 15, 2014 Permalink

No. For this to happen I think It would have to be Aaron not giving his A game in which case he would have only himself to blame, and I would like to think that won’t happen. Agree with others that a run for starting job would be at 3 not 2.

11. DayDay
    2:24 pm May 15, 2014 Permalink

Breakdown of Harrison Vs. Booker from CBS Sports. Good overview.

• don't fall for it
      2:50 pm May 15, 2014 Permalink

Without even clicking, I can see that this is some bogus link, probably to download a virus or something.

• Grammar King
      2:53 pm May 15, 2014 Permalink

Your first clue was probably the fact that the link isn’t even to cbssports.com, right?

• ukbradstith
      3:30 pm May 15, 2014 Permalink

I always know it’s coming, I just don’t have the will power not to touch the link.

12. Susan
    2:26 pm May 15, 2014 Permalink

The real battle will occur between Andrew Harrison and Tyler Ulis, especially after Cal realizes Ulis can run the team better. I still believe Ulis will play more minutes than Andrew Harrison by the the start of SEC play. Ulis has PG skills you can’t teach and is a much better passer with incredible floor vision. Andrew has size but he is slow with very limited floor vision and not the greatest passer. He is a poor defender as well. Ulis has shown that he can stop the ball in transition.

• Troy
      2:34 pm May 15, 2014 Permalink

Couldn’t be more accurate !

• raccoon
      3:15 pm May 15, 2014 Permalink

Very much doubt this. You are looking at Ulis with the same unrealistic expectations we had for Andrew last year. Undersized PGs basically never start as freshmen and have to work to transition to the college game where players are much bigger. Ulis will get pushed around a little next year. I see him as a Scottie Wilbeken type. Great shooter that doesn’t shoot too much and good floor general. But he will have to bulk up a little and learn to take the hits. Just like Scottie did and why he started off with only limited minutes at Florida.

• ukbradstith
      3:32 pm May 15, 2014 Permalink

No way. Player that small has a lot to learn, he’s looking at 15 minutes max next year.

• jus sayin
      4:29 pm May 15, 2014 Permalink

Ulis is basically the same player as Kasey Hill only not as good. Remember Jai Lucas? These short PGs always have an adjustment period.

• RealUKFan
      4:41 pm May 15, 2014 Permalink

Andrew carried this team to the championship game. No way is Ulis going to be any more than his backup next year.

• Jerry
      6:22 pm May 15, 2014 Permalink

I think Susan’s assessment is 100% accurate. Ulis is a better PG than Kasey Hill and Wilbeken is much better than Andrew Harrison. Ulis will win the PG position.

13. Hope
    2:28 pm May 15, 2014 Permalink

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him. And power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with hunger, and with death, and with the beasts of the earth.

14. Hope
    2:28 pm May 15, 2014 Permalink

Although they fast, I will not listen to their cry; though they offer burnt offerings and grain offerings, I will not accept them. Instead, I will destroy them with the sword, famine and plague.”

• Grammar King
      2:49 pm May 15, 2014 Permalink

At first glance, I thought you were full of bologna; however, now that I’ve reread it and thought about it, your analysis is spot-on. This is what the sports media has been lacking for so long: hardnosed, unbiased sports analysis with true knowledge of the game. You should submit this work to ESPN and see if they might offer you a job on the spot.

15. Doron4Three
    2:42 pm May 15, 2014 Permalink

Considering Aaron Harrison is the clutchest player in my lifetime of being a Cat fan I would have to say no. Booker will get plenty of run but all that matters is who’s in at the end of the game. No coach ever set down Robert Horry, just saying.

16. Well
    2:43 pm May 15, 2014 Permalink

Not sure how old they are but Ice looks like a grown man compared to Booker in these photos.

17. KSR overindulgist
    3:00 pm May 15, 2014 Permalink

Maybe posting it a third time tomorrow will work too?

• ukbradstith
      3:34 pm May 15, 2014 Permalink

This link is for a different story. This story is from Espn. Sorta seems like I really should have to explain that to you.

• BlueFan
      4:52 pm May 15, 2014 Permalink

No, it’s actually the exact same article they linked to in both posts. Slow times for the BBN and KSR.

18. Jim 1
    3:01 pm May 15, 2014 Permalink

KY fans should be amused at how the sports media brews up a little controversy around UK basketball just to get a story line. Why not. because it is the most followed basketball program in the world?

Aaron Harrison, PERIOD.

19. shooter
    3:09 pm May 15, 2014 Permalink

Did these guys watch the tournament? Aaron is a beast. Booker will get his shot in time.

20. Atlas
    3:09 pm May 15, 2014 Permalink

“You people are crazy,” neither Ullis nor Booker will start over the Harrison’s. Once again projecting HS play to college BB. No wonder the Harrison’s wanted to leave.

21. Rick Oliphe
    3:26 pm May 15, 2014 Permalink

Not going to be a battle at all, but rather a compliment of each other. Booker can play some two and Aaron can move to the three at times and play that James Young scoring role: http://straighthoops.com/one_and_not_done.html just watch

22. Alec
    3:30 pm May 15, 2014 Permalink

maybe if Aaron slides over to the three. That would work I think having three or four legitimate three point threats on the floor at once! GO CATS!!!

23. Jimbob
    3:34 pm May 15, 2014 Permalink

Whoa, what’s up with Aaron’s left hand in the picture? Great, consistent shooters don’t put their off-hand on top of the ball. Don’t get me wrong, I think Aaron is a fantastic shooter, but it looks like a flaw to me…

24. Patrick Quinn
    10:11 pm May 15, 2014 Permalink

I know…Let’s try to create controversy where there is none…Jaysus H !!

25. Sam Jones
    11:47 am May 16, 2014 Permalink

I am more I intrugied by Ulis and Andrew as others have pointed out. Small quick guards with shooting touch can do real damage depending on mashups. Take the UCONN game for example. A seasoned Ulis could have made a real difference. I am by no means suggesting that Andrew is at risk of losing the starting gig, but there may be times that Ulis gets the nod and I do expect him to see a lot of minutes.