ESPN Reporting Tubby Smith is Near a Deal with High Point

Justin Ford | USA TODAY Sports

Justin Ford-USA TODAY Sports

It’s looking like Tubby Smith will finish his coaching career at the school he played at.

The former Kentucky coach was fired by Memphis eleven days ago but according to ESPN he’s already negotiating terms to become the head man at his former school, High Point University.

This will be Smith’s seventh college coaching job after stops at Tulsa, Georgia, Kentucky, Minnesota, Texas Tech, and Memphis.

High Point finished seventh in the Big South with a record of 14-16 last season.

Good luck to Tubby in what will likely be the final stop in a memorable career.

@EMitchKSR

Article written by Eli Mitchell

University of Kentucky Class of 2020

53 Comments for ESPN Reporting Tubby Smith is Near a Deal with High Point

1. JohnnyCheeseSticks
    4:53 pm March 25, 2018 Permalink

I wish nothing but the best for Tubby. But if I was him, I’d just retire with all my money. What’s he coaching for?

• Look Out Fireworks
      4:55 pm March 25, 2018 Permalink

Maybe… and this is just a thought… but maybe he loves coaching.

2. Look Out Fireworks
    4:54 pm March 25, 2018 Permalink

He’ll take this program from a 14 win season to a couple 22 win seasons and then everyone at High Point will complain about his style of play and that they are only winning 20-25 games a year.

Best of luck to a great man!

3. futrelljr
    5:02 pm March 25, 2018 Permalink

He will retire at High Point. All he has to do there is coach. Expect them to be in the tournament soon.

• catdaddyd
      5:54 pm March 25, 2018 Permalink

High Point can’t afford to buy him out, so he will probably retire there.

• VinDatuk
      6:57 pm March 25, 2018 Permalink

Might want to check out the amount of money High Point has before you make such ill-informed comments.

4. bosch8184
    5:14 pm March 25, 2018 Permalink

Remember when the bad fans were told to shut up and root for Louisville for complaining about Tubby not being good enough to get us over the hump? Good times. Guy’s been fired at progressively worse jobs ever since he left UK.

5. Catcasey1
    5:24 pm March 25, 2018 Permalink

Just retire and enjoy ur family

6. sincitycat
    5:24 pm March 25, 2018 Permalink

Good luck Coach Smith and thank you.

7. Jiminy Crickets
    5:26 pm March 25, 2018 Permalink

I love how everyone just says “good guy”. There is a reason that his name is not in Rupp rafters, but why he was basically fired from every position he’s been out since leaving UK, and had negotiated a contract with Minnesota while still coaching UK in the SEC tournament. You guys believe that he such a good guy,and I guess that’s OK. But I’m guessing this coaching job won’t last the full contract either

• henderblue
      5:44 pm March 25, 2018 Permalink

Tubby won a national championship at UK while he was here and that’s good enough reason for his name to be in the rafters. But what most impressed me about Tubby was that he made a phone call to my dad in the hospital, on the day he died and dad perked up, if for just a few minutes, and for that he’ll always be a good man in my eyes. Good luck Tubby and congratulations on an excellent career

• Blue Bill
      6:14 pm March 25, 2018 Permalink

Go suck a big greasy one Jimney Dumb Ass.

8. jim tom
    5:38 pm March 25, 2018 Permalink

No appreciation for what he did at UK. In the famous words of dan dakichh BBN my ass you KSR fanboys

• BBNDan7
      6:10 pm March 25, 2018 Permalink

I see they gave you your phone in the nursing home today

• Blue Bill
      6:15 pm March 25, 2018 Permalink

Jim Tim quit kissing his sister long enough to post another hate message.

• jim tom
      9:33 pm March 25, 2018 Permalink

Would you like my address blue bill ?

• catsarerunnin
      7:53 am March 26, 2018 Permalink

I would like to have it JT so I can donate money to the mental institution you call home.

9. catdaddyd
    5:51 pm March 25, 2018 Permalink

He’s had more jobs than Pitino.

10. Natureboy42
    6:11 pm March 25, 2018 Permalink

He is a class act no matter what some might say. He left here because he was loyal to his assistance and wouldn’t fire them. He and Donna did a lot in the city and Tubby’s Clubhouse still give underprivileged kids a chance to stay off the streets. Never a hint of anything untoward in any of his programs or personal life. He brought us a banner and as far as I’m concerned he’s BBN for life.

• henderblue
      6:51 pm March 25, 2018 Permalink

Well said Natureboy

• RealCatsFan
      8:19 pm March 25, 2018 Permalink

Agree. Very nice man, and his jersey deserves to be hanging in the rafters.

11. Rabbi Li
    6:32 pm March 25, 2018 Permalink

Finally Tubby is back to where he belongs… his natural ‘High Point.’

12. Rabbi Li
    6:50 pm March 25, 2018 Permalink

Tubby Smith is the classic example of why hiring a black guy as an affirmative action (guilty liberal policy) not only doesn’t pan out… but it ends up backfiring when true sports fans see the body of work pan out.

A sports program is only as good as the calibur of the people who hold it’s reins. In basketball, and a program like Kentucky (especially coming off back to back NCAA Championship games), there is a select group of coaches to pick from. Tubby would never be on that list (based on his resume).

This was the 2nd middle finger Pitino gave to the program (the first being leaving for Boston). His ego prevented himself from naming a successor who could potentially improve on his legacy.

Tubby was not qualified for the UK job. He got it anyway. It doesn’t take a brain surgeon to understand why (see above).

It showed once the Pitino (recruited, coached) players were gone.

Anyone remember a Tubby Smith call in show? Go shoot yourself if you cared about the program then.

• henderblue
      6:58 pm March 25, 2018 Permalink

You are quite the idiot Rabbi.

• Rabbi Li
      7:34 pm March 25, 2018 Permalink

henderblue – If you can’t understand that (or it makes your brain hurt) then don’t take it out on anyone else.

Tubby was a mid level SEC coach (back when the SEC was garbage)… they don’t get opportunities to coach at UK.

• RealCatsFan
      8:22 pm March 25, 2018 Permalink

I wish there was a “dislike” button to go along with the “like” button. Tubby was a sprained ankle and an uncalled foul on a 3-point shot from returning to the Final Four at least two more times. True, he wasn’t a great fit for the program because he didn’t really like the limelight, and by the last two years of his time he was basically mailing it in, but there has not been a coach at UK who is a better person.

• henderblue
      8:42 pm March 25, 2018 Permalink

Agreed RCF

• RealCatsFan
      8:27 pm March 25, 2018 Permalink

And I will go on record to say that I really wanted UK to hire Donovan when Pitino left, but I still stand by what I have said about Tubby.

• Irwin R. Fletcher
      8:57 am March 26, 2018 Permalink

WTF does the color of Tubby’s skin have to do with anything at all?

This is why being a UK fan is a double edge sword….

13. Rabbi Li
    7:07 pm March 25, 2018 Permalink

Much of the dislike Tubby gets from the UK fans base could have been prevented had Mitch Barnfart not bungled the firing (more white guilt) and keep giving the guy more time.

Any distaste Kentucky fans have for Tubby should be aimed strictly at the people who hired him (Rick Pitino, Larry Ivy), hung on to him too long (Mitch Barnfart), and eventually created an additional mess in the faux firing/resigning. Add to that the Billy Clyde Gillipsie hiring by Mitch and you can see who the fan base should have been pissed off at.

• henderblue
      7:34 pm March 25, 2018 Permalink

No. They going home

• 4everUKblue
      7:36 pm March 25, 2018 Permalink

But how is that possible with a coach like K and by far the most talent in the country????

• 4everUKblue
      7:36 pm March 25, 2018 Permalink

Click the link henderblue for a good laugh.

• 4everUKblue
      7:42 pm March 25, 2018 Permalink

But didn’t Slater say dUKe was going to win it all? No way Slater could be wrong. LOL

• henderblue
      7:53 pm March 25, 2018 Permalink

I clicked the link. Lol. A lot of theories going by the wayside about how much better K could do with one and done than Cal. (Pay attention you dirt bag doubters).

• 4everUKblue
      7:45 pm March 25, 2018 Permalink

Bagley didn’t have even one foul called against him.

• henderblue
      7:55 pm March 25, 2018 Permalink

Where are you syrin23? You and Slater on a Duke website crying?

• henderblue
      7:57 pm March 25, 2018 Permalink

They wanted to give the ball back to Duke on that out of bounds play so bad, but even Ray Charles could have seen it went out on Duke. And so after much discussion, they gave it back to KU. Too bad

• RealCatsFan
      8:07 pm March 25, 2018 Permalink

Looks like one of them might be on ESPN commenting about dook:

“Coach K is an idiot. Keep throwing the ball around the perimeter. Forget Bagley. Forget Carter. Forget Allen is in a slump. Forget Duval is a second rate point guard. Duval needs another year before he should start.

Poor coaching. Work the one and dones next year. Fail again. Then retire, coach K. The game has passed you by.

This from a Duke alum that attended Duke when he used to coach. Just a lack of coaching. It gets worse every year, with a bench of assistant coaches that know nothing but what Coach K has taught them. They bring nothing to the table.”

LMAO!!

• 4everUKblue
      8:10 pm March 25, 2018 Permalink

LOL it’s totally them.

• ClutchCargo
      9:08 pm March 25, 2018 Permalink

I’m not so sure syrin23 and BBND aren’t the same idiot. They occasionally use the same phrases and insults. Or one of them will blow up a comment section and you won’t hear from the other one for long stretches.

• jim tom
      9:40 pm March 25, 2018 Permalink

Kansas won because they have experienced 3 and 4 year players you one and done 5 star burger boys worshipers.

• 4everUKblue
      10:14 pm March 25, 2018 Permalink

That Jim Bob is a mental heavy weight for sure LMAO! Clutch you may be right about Slater and Syrin being the same person.

• jim tom
      10:18 pm March 25, 2018 Permalink

You all are laughable. Enjoy your McDonald’s hamburger

14. sincitycat
    7:38 pm March 25, 2018 Permalink

Natureboy, You are so right about why Coach Smith left UK…not too many know this.

15. Lip Man 1
    8:18 pm March 25, 2018 Permalink

Two things. First off THANK GOD Duke lost! Villanova now looks like the clear favorite (and that’s OK with me)

Now for my Tubby Smith story. A few years ago Idaho State played Texas Tech in women’s basketball. While practice was going on I asked the sports info folks if Tubby was around. They said he was in his office go on up and talk with his secretary.

So I did (Saul was his assistant and in the office). I explained to his secretary that I went to UK and just wanted to say hello. While I was doing this Tubby must have heard me because he came out of his office, extended his hand and invited me to come back into the office for a few minutes. I did, introduced myself and we talked. Tubby was welcoming and a total gentleman. As I was leaving I asked for an autograph on some notebook paper I had and Tubby said ‘No, I’ll sign something on my note cards for you.” He did, I still have it.

I know Tubby had his shortcoming at UK (primarily because he was so loyal to his staff which wasn’t carrying their weight) but you have to respect a man who treats people well despite their standings and where they come from.

• henderblue
      8:44 pm March 25, 2018 Permalink

Thanks for that story Lip Man. He’s a gentleman no doubt

• Natureboy42
      8:49 pm March 25, 2018 Permalink

That story speaks volumes about the kind of man Tubby is.

16. bluecrowe
    10:09 pm March 25, 2018 Permalink

I admire Tubby. AAU Basketball, the summer leagues are a cesspool of pimps and hangers on. He did not want to deal with that culture. The brass at UK had to know that is how he did things so it is not Tubby’s fault. He refused to talk to AAU coaches and I am fine with that. I am happy Cal takes another approach, but when something was wrong in a game you knew Tubby was going to fix it. He always did. As was stated above Tubby had them inches from 2 other incredible seasons. He was an amazing coach.

17. jim tom
    10:16 pm March 25, 2018 Permalink

Further proof the one and done does not work to win a title,
    Villanova
    Michigan
    Kansas
    Loyola
    All experienced teams with juniors and seniors who can play. 2012 was an anamoly
    Duke u gone
    UK u gone
    ??

18. jim tom
    10:30 pm March 25, 2018 Permalink

There serving burgers at every 5 star McDonald’s all day every day. Keep eatin em up ksr fan boys there is plenty to go around for all you one and done worshipers

19. bluecrowe
    10:46 pm March 25, 2018 Permalink

Even Cal knows this system does not work anymore, but he is trapped in a monster of his own making. He needs to just say, look, you guys are all going to be paid too much money to play basketball eventually, but you need to stay 2 to 4 years. Period. Game Over. Sadly he will not because he would have to admit he was not entirely correct. We would all have trouble doing this in a one on one situation, but he would be doing it in front of the whole world. The in the old days Davis would have won 3 titles and then gone to the NBA. There is nothing wrong with that.