ESPN names song that defines Kentucky basketball

The college basketball writing staff over at ESPN named the song that defines each of the 25 teams in its top 25 for next season, and Kentucky’s is from Beyonce’s visual album, Lemonade, released earlier this year.

C.L. Brown assigned Beyonce’s “Sorry” to the 2016-17 Kentucky Wildcats.

He explains why:

3. Kentucky Wildcats: “Sorry,” Beyoncé (2016)

Two reasons to pick this song. First, the Kentucky fan base, also known as Big Blue Nation, swarms after naysayers just like Beyonce’s legion of fans known as the Beyhive. Just try to say something bad about BBN. We dare you. Second, John Calipari has an unapologetic style, and he’s not changing anytime soon. If any team personifies the line, “middle fingers up, put them hands high,” it would be the Wildcats. — C.L. Brown

The video, which features Serena Williams, can be seen/heard below. The lyrics can get a little NSFW in the beginning:

Article written by Drew Franklin

13 Comments for ESPN names song that defines Kentucky basketball

1. Sentient Third Eye
    10:37 am June 29, 2016 Permalink

The song they chose for the Cards is perfect: “Let’s Talk About Sex”. LOL!

2. me101
    11:07 am June 29, 2016 Permalink

Matt is always bringing politics into things well since her Super Bowl performance I’ll never listen to another Beyonce song.

• DelrayCat
      11:33 am June 29, 2016 Permalink

So will you never watch TV again once Madame President Hillary R. Clinton crushes the Drumpf?
      Boy, I bet all you poor butt-hurt Republicans will be whining then for sure.

• theWilkman
      11:34 am June 29, 2016 Permalink

I’m sure you were her target demographic

• Kentuckyhomegrown
      12:30 pm June 29, 2016 Permalink

@thewilkman there shouldnt have been a target demographic thats the whole point of a “halftime show” and @delraycat are you butthurt that your vote for Bernie did not count? On your subaru? You gonna be ok pal? Also how many more people is Hilary gonna kill…yikes

• wildcat827
      12:33 pm June 29, 2016 Permalink

I’m gonna go ahead and assume that if you got so butthurt by a Super Bowl halftime show you probably never listened to her music before either…

• wildcat827
      12:35 pm June 29, 2016 Permalink

“Matt is always bringing politics into things” -me101 (aka the only person who brought up politics…)

• Billy Hill
      6:13 pm June 29, 2016 Permalink

Hilary has a lot of catching up to Gee Dubya…. Roadside bombs on young American soldiers in Iraq when we were supposed to just be in Afghanistan? Yikes…

3. snarkster
    12:20 pm June 29, 2016 Permalink

Any fanbase (especially one as large & passionate as the BBN) that will lash out at anything negative said about the program. I think a large percentage will be fair, but the people slingin’ the sh!t better be able to back it up. What sets the Nation off are dickweeds like Travis last week who are clueless, looking for attention or both as with Travis and this one.

4. trujustin
    2:09 pm June 29, 2016 Permalink

This song is unlistenable. I tried.

• CatManDo
      4:57 pm June 29, 2016 Permalink

Agree. Not to sound like “back in my day guy” but back in my day there were things like guitars and drums in bands.

• Billy Hill
      6:11 pm June 29, 2016 Permalink

And your parents hated it because it wasn’t a swing band performing it like back in their day. And I’m sure you thought they were old and uncool, too.