Emmanuel Mudiay releases a statement

Emmanuel_Mudiay_838_-_adidas_Nations_600_399

About an hour ago, news broke that Emmanuel Mudiay, an SMU commit who was at one time Calipari’s biggest target in the 2014 recruiting class, has decided to forgo college and play a year overseas before going to the NBA. Adrian Wojnarowski first reported the news, and said Mudiay and his family made the decision based on concerns he wouldn’t be eligible due to academics, but later reports have refuted that.

Sports Illustrated’s Luke Winn spoke with Mudiay’s brother, Stephane, who passed along the following statement:

“I was excited about going to SMU and playing college basketball for coach Brown and his staff and preparing for the NBA. But I was tired of seeing my mom struggle. And after sitting down with coach Brown and my family, we decided that the best way for me to provide for my mom was to forgo college and pursue professional basketball opportunities. I am grateful for Prime Prep coach [Ray] Forsett for developing me into the player and man that I am and I am also grateful for coach Brown’s guidance and his support. This has nothing to do with my eligibility in any way.”

CBS Sports is reporting that Mudiay has a lucrative contract offer to play in Asia. After a year overseas, he will presumably return to enter the 2015 NBA Draft, a route also taken by Brandon Jennings in 2008.

When Mudiay committed to SMU last August, it was one of the first times Cal missed on an elite recruit he really wanted. Tyler Ulis committed to UK the following month, and then in April, the Harrison Twins decided to return to school, a move that would seem even less likely had Mudiay committed to UK. Suddenly, losing him doesn’t sting so much, does it?

27 Comments for Emmanuel Mudiay releases a statement

1. blueinbardstown
    2:23 pm July 14, 2014 Permalink

“See my mom struggle” ok.. I understand that -so which is however, that or the fact your grades would only permit you into North Carolina?

2. TDog
    2:28 pm July 14, 2014 Permalink

Kentucky misses out on him and gets Tyler Ulis and the Twins returning while SMU get’s nothing in return. As Charlie Sheen would say: “Winning”

3. Brandon
    2:28 pm July 14, 2014 Permalink

No doubt coach wanted this guy but as someone below mentioned, did Cal find out how hard it would be to get him eligible and then backed off at the last minute? Always more than meets the eye even his statement is not what is being given as the reason by other media outlets.

4. Scott
    2:43 pm July 14, 2014 Permalink

SMU would easily take the chance on him. ‘If they get him great if not oh well it’s just another day at SMU.

5. Commando
    2:44 pm July 14, 2014 Permalink

Shouldn’t a ‘mom’ be able to provide for herself?

• gordonm
      3:28 pm July 14, 2014 Permalink

If she raised a child [not an EASY task] and the child provided her with monetary gain (legal wise), I’d say she provided for her child, herself and her family.

Good Mom!

6. Costa Rica
    2:45 pm July 14, 2014 Permalink

Evan Daniels- “Emmanuel Mudiay’s decision to pursue professional opportunities have nothing to do with academics.”

Jeff Goodman- “… it’s due to amateurism concerns, not academics.”

ESPN article- “‘The NCAA is on him,” the source said. “And he’s worried.'”

In other words, the NCAA caught the kid taking money and he won’t be eligible to play in the NCAA. Has nothing to do with making a decision to help mommy financially. He’s got no choice but to go overseas.

UK dodged a huge bullet on this one. All the more reason to be happy we got Tyler Ulis.

• The Loco Pollo
      3:13 pm July 14, 2014 Permalink

More likely in this instance, he and his camp made the decision to seek a professional career overseas and forego amateurism and both ESPN & the NCAA are slow as usual but trying to make themselves look investigative.

7. Jordan
    3:12 pm July 14, 2014 Permalink

Why go overseas? Couldn’t he have just played in the D-League? As a dad, I don’t know what i would want for my kids, either make a good living for playing overseas and not see them in a year? Or make a decent amount playing in the NBDL, knowing I could come see a game or at least watch on NBATV. It would be their decision and I would support it, but I would selfishly want them to stay in the good ole USofA

• Nichvegas
      3:15 pm July 14, 2014 Permalink

Do we all really think Ulis will be a four year guy? He’s getting a lot of hype right now. I know he’s small, but besides his stature what makes everyone think he’ll be around for 4 years?

• The Loco Pollo
      3:38 pm July 14, 2014 Permalink

Because he’ll likely get paid WAY more to play overseas. The TOP paid players in the D-League make $25k per season. They get housing/insurance paid for and a $40 food per diem, but after taxes they’re not really bringing much home. So, D-League isn’t going to be putting him or his family in any better situation. I’d say the benefits of D1 b’ball are of greater monetary value to players than the D-League.

8. Patrick
    3:21 pm July 14, 2014 Permalink

This pathway that Mudiay is taking will probably be one that will start to trend with elite high school players in the near future, especially if the 2 year rule happens. College coaches will definetly have to adjust their recruiting strategies. Maybe a rule or restriction should be in place to give these players a certain deadline so it will not hurt colleges like this has affected SMU. They were probably going to be a top 10 or 15 team, so who knows now.

• ukbradstith
      3:52 pm July 14, 2014 Permalink

You can’t give players a deadline, how would you enforce it? A player can leave 2 games into the season if they want, it’s a free country. You just have to try to forsee things the best you can in recruiting.

9. Random Oddity ...
    3:30 pm July 14, 2014 Permalink

Any word on Jai Lucas?

10. gordonm
    3:33 pm July 14, 2014 Permalink

To the ROOT: No momma, NO YOU!

• gordonm
      3:43 pm July 14, 2014 Permalink

Should have said: To The Flower

11. arlo
    3:34 pm July 14, 2014 Permalink

i never understood why more of these 5star nba locks don’t go overseas for a year, make some big $$, then return to nba for bigger $$, instead of acting like a student athlete and doing without many of the things real students do without. if enough of them did it, colleges would cease to be the nba’s farm system, thereby phasing out the “one and done”.

• ukbradstith
      3:56 pm July 14, 2014 Permalink

You are really better off playing at a big time school and getting your “brand” going. John wall doesn’t sign the endorsement deals right off the bat if he is coming from Iran or Iceland, at least not at the same level.

12. Real Talk
    6:36 pm July 14, 2014 Permalink

Look how many comments were erased! Dayum!

13. njCat
    8:13 pm July 14, 2014 Permalink

So, if Mudiay commits to KY it most likely resulting in the Ullis NOT signing and the twins LEAVING for the NBA. Then 6 weeks later Mudiay drops out. Boy, would that have been fun.

Hope they go to the two year rule so kids like this have an easier decision. If you desperately need the money – go to Europe or Asia and take care of mom. You don’t, go to college for a couple years and build your brand. Best solution for everyone all around. The college game survived when kids went straight to the pros and will survive if a few elite players go overseas – particularly because the best players will be around for a couple years.

14. ukbradstith
    10:59 pm July 14, 2014 Permalink

I was enjoying the conversations on this post. Too bad they erased most of them. Very disappointing. I expect more of this site.