EJ Montgomery working out for the Spurs

With one week until the NBA Draft underclassmen withdrawal deadline, EJ Montgomery is still exploring his options. According to his Instagram story, the rising sophomore is in San Antonio to work out for the Spurs this afternoon:

The Spurs have the No. 19, No. 29, and No. 49 picks in next month’s draft. Last season, EJ averaged 3.8 points and 4.1 rebounds per game, while totaling 38 total blocks, 16 steals and 15 assists. He’s not currently projected to be picked in any major mock drafts, but, as we’ve seen in the past, some teams will make promises to second round prospects.

Thankfully, we’ll know for sure in a week and nine hours.

[mobile_ad]

10 Comments for EJ Montgomery working out for the Spurs

1. 4everUKblue
    3:10 pm May 22, 2019 Permalink

Come on back home EJ, BBN needs you.

• dave1964
      3:41 pm May 22, 2019 Permalink

Maybe the kid should talk to D. Orton whatever his name is…

2. a21CATSfan
    3:55 pm May 22, 2019 Permalink

Let’s say you have been hired as an intern. That internship is 4 separate 6-month sessions with all expenses paid. But, they give you the option to be hired out after each session, based on potential. After each session you are allowed 30 job interviews. Wouldn’t you want to at least give them all a shot? CATS

• KYFAN4LYFE
      10:22 pm May 22, 2019 Permalink

The difference is, if you have a serious injury during that internship, and end up gimped the rest of your life because of it, chances are your degree and experience will allow you to continue to work. A min. contract…or no guaranteed contract at all, in this case…means if that happens, you’re pretty much screwed AND you don’t have the free degree.

3. SanDiegoCats
    4:35 pm May 22, 2019 Permalink

I would have thought my boss would have said your internship was decent and thank goodness you still hHa internship time left to prove you’re good enough to be hired.

4. UKCatAttack
    5:30 pm May 22, 2019 Permalink

He wasn’t very good last season and I’m not sure he ever will be. Nick Richards is about the same for me. Neither of them have displayed a competitive spirit. I hope they both prove me wrong but I’ve seen big men like them too many times before… Randolph Morris, Poythress, Skal, Orton and the list goes on and on. Just because you are 7 feet tall and good at basketball doesn’t make you Elite at basketball. You have to have competitive spirit like DeMarcus Cousins, Karl Towns, and AD.

• JT55
      5:41 pm May 22, 2019 Permalink

I wouldn’t write him off after one season. Most players aren’t ready for the NBA after 1 season. He needs to get stronger.

5. JT55
    5:40 pm May 22, 2019 Permalink

I’m hoping they can find another big man or more than likely two. That’s the only real chance they have to contend for a FF.

6. 4everUKblue
    5:40 pm May 22, 2019 Permalink

Personally I think EJ and Nick both need a big boost in self confidence, amazing how much that helps a player.

7. shelbycat
    7:39 pm May 22, 2019 Permalink

Will it look bad for Cal if a kid that couldn’t muster more than 5 minutes without getting yanked or put up more than 3.8 points per game gets drafted?