EJ Montgomery will test the NBA Draft waters

EJ Montgomery is going to test the NBA Draft waters.

The Kentucky freshman just announced that he will take advantage of the pre-draft evaluation process with the goal of being a first round pick; if he hears that will happen this year, he will stay in the draft.

“First of all, I want to thank God because none of this would be possible without Him,” Montgomery said. “Thank you to my family for their love and support. Thank you to Coach Cal and the coaching staff for challenging me to be the best player and young man I can be.

“With that being said, I have sat down with Coach Cal and my family and decided to take full advantage of the rules that are in place and enter my name in the draft process. My goal is to be a first-rounder. If the information I receive supports that, my plan is to stay in the draft and pursue my dreams of playing in the NBA. Thank you BBN for your love and support through this important time in my life.”

Montgomery averaged 3.8 points and 4.1 rebounds in 15.1 minutes per game last season and tallied 38 total blocks, 16 steals, and 15 assists.

“EJ improved so much during the year,” John Calipari said in a release. “He helped us win games and made a difference in so many other games. I think it is smart for him and his family to explore what his options truly are. I have no doubt in mind that EJ has a bright future. Whether the information says EJ should stay in the draft or come back for another year to prepare for the rest of his life, I’ll support his decision.”

EJ has until May 29 to decide whether or not to return to Kentucky for a sophomore season.

[mobile_ad]

91 Comments for EJ Montgomery will test the NBA Draft waters

1. Cannon717
    10:15 am April 19, 2019 Permalink

Here come the overreactions in 3…2…1…

• BBNnCLE
      10:21 am April 19, 2019 Permalink

Yep

• 4everUKblue
      10:45 am April 19, 2019 Permalink

Nailed it!

• Buffalo Cat
      11:56 am April 19, 2019 Permalink

I do not know if I would have been public about the whole, “I am staying in the draft if I will go in the first round.” Is there anyone out there who thinks that is a possibility? He should have just said he was testing the waters and getting familiar with the process.

• 4everUKblue
      5:25 pm April 19, 2019 Permalink

Sounds like he’s being up front and honest about his intentions to me, I see nothing wrong with what he said.

2. peaches76
    10:18 am April 19, 2019 Permalink

3.8 points and 4 rebounds a game surely means 1st round draft pick. Right?

• Cokely53
      10:34 am April 19, 2019 Permalink

Did for Orton

• UKantstopus
      10:49 am April 19, 2019 Permalink

Exactly what I was thinking!!

• Bluebloodtoo
      6:47 pm April 19, 2019 Permalink

And how’d that work out for Orton?

• dave1964
      11:52 am April 19, 2019 Permalink

Dream on you couldn’t even make a G league team.

• IndianaSucks
      12:14 pm April 19, 2019 Permalink

For the record, G League teams would beat most, if not all, D1 schools.

3. Carcrook
    10:18 am April 19, 2019 Permalink

Adios!

4. Pensacola_Cat_Fan
    10:18 am April 19, 2019 Permalink

Hope he hears what he wants to hear but would love to have him back next year.

5. nickobeazo
    10:18 am April 19, 2019 Permalink

Bruh…

6. StuckinLville
    10:19 am April 19, 2019 Permalink

Well he will most certainly be back. Just needs to learn what he needs to improve on.

7. joepike16
    10:21 am April 19, 2019 Permalink

Thinking that he could be a first round pick seems to be a little (or a lot) divorced from reality, don’t you think?

• Pensacola_Cat_Fan
      10:24 am April 19, 2019 Permalink

He never said he thought he was a number 1 pick. He said he would come back if he wasn’t and he probably realizes there is a good chance he’s coming back.

• Pensacola_Cat_Fan
      10:24 am April 19, 2019 Permalink

First round pick I should have said.

• Mad Max
      10:31 am April 19, 2019 Permalink

Read his comments again…

• CoachCat
      11:35 am April 19, 2019 Permalink

He knows if the VA Tech transfer pulls through his playing time is limited

• joepike16
      10:38 am April 19, 2019 Permalink

“If the information I recieve supports that, my plan is to stay in the draft.” My point is, does he really think that receiving that information is a possibility? I think in a couple years, he could be a really good draft pick. I just hope that he is recieving good information from those around him. Taking advantage of the draft process isn’t a bad thing, but thinking that he is even in consideration as a first round pick is almost crazy.

• nocode96
      12:44 pm April 19, 2019 Permalink

No, and he never once said he thought that. God, some of y’all overreact like crazy and only read what you want. He said IF he’s a 1st rounder, he will stay in the draft. Not “when I hear 1st round I’m staying”, or “I’m sure I’ll hear that I’m a 1st rounder”. This kid is doing what he should, taking advantage of this process. All of y’all saying he’s delusional, or “bye Felicia”, or anything else derogatory towards him for doing this are the worst thing about our fan base.

• dballrb
      11:10 am April 20, 2019 Permalink

Agreed.

8. Larkin123
    10:21 am April 19, 2019 Permalink

Lol

9. BigJohnC
    10:24 am April 19, 2019 Permalink

Going to be a big loss…dang I thought he’d return too. Oh well. Best of luck ej! Thanks for playing for UK!

• Pensacola_Cat_Fan
      10:25 am April 19, 2019 Permalink

Over reaction

• BigJohnC
      11:20 am April 19, 2019 Permalink

Overreaction based on what? Your useless opinion? Like assholes, everyone has one and they’re all full of shit. Lol. I clearly said I hope he comes back, but if he goes then best of luck to him! Lol

• JoeMoney333
      11:30 am April 19, 2019 Permalink

An overreaction to an overreaction comment. Impressive.

• Cats4lyfe
      12:47 pm April 19, 2019 Permalink

That’s funny!

• ibescootch
      11:37 am April 19, 2019 Permalink

You didn’t ‘clearly’ say that! You said you thought he would. And the rest of your comment makes it seem like it’s a foregone conclusion that he’s leaving. That’s called an overreaction.

• BigJohnC
      12:37 pm April 19, 2019 Permalink

Mhmm…so glad to have all you guys to correct me!

• Luether
      3:35 pm April 19, 2019 Permalink

Over reaction…

• 4everUKblue
      5:27 pm April 19, 2019 Permalink

Saying Luether is a dumbass is not an over reaction…

10. 8 god
    10:26 am April 19, 2019 Permalink

This is stupid, he’s not even going to be ready next year so he should’ve saved his evaluation. These kids. Man.

• Pensacola_Cat_Fan
      10:33 am April 19, 2019 Permalink

I don’t think it’s that unreasonable that he would jump to the NBA after year two so I don’t see how this decision is so “stupid”. Find out what the NBA folks want from you and come back and do it next year and get drafted next summer.

11. bigbluenationmbb
    10:27 am April 19, 2019 Permalink

This is good for us the scouts can give him advice to improve his offensive game which that’s what he needs to improve smart move he will be back don’t worry

12. Mad Max
    10:31 am April 19, 2019 Permalink

Amazing how many people don’t know how this process works. Declare, work out, get feedback, make decision. It reeeaaaaallly isn’t that hard. PJ did the same thing last year and the same people were making the same arguments…smh

13. roachey45011
    10:33 am April 19, 2019 Permalink

Nothing wrong with getting some advice on what he needs to do for next season. It will give him some motivation I think to hear “ you’re just not ready EJ “ and maybe he will come out and this summer work on improving his over all game.

14. jytruebluefan
    10:35 am April 19, 2019 Permalink

Definitely should be back. No way he should be a first round pick.

• KYFAN4LYFE
      10:45 am April 19, 2019 Permalink

Of course not….but neither should Skal, Daniel Orton or Archie Goodwin. You really can’t guess what some of these desperate NBA teams will do, when it comes to draft day. With the new rules allowing players more options, Cal should really just tell all of his players “If you have any desire at all to play at the next level, you WILL go through the process, if only for the experience”. They don’t have to hire an agent, and as long as they don’t do anything stupid….like accept “gifts”….they’d be free to come back.

• StuckinLville
      11:13 am April 19, 2019 Permalink

Yeah but those guys you named where all first round picks. EJ wont be.

• IndianaSucks
      12:10 pm April 19, 2019 Permalink

EJ has more upside than any of those guys too

• dcforuk
      12:33 pm April 19, 2019 Permalink

Agreed IUS. Ton of potential

15. Duuuuuude
    10:39 am April 19, 2019 Permalink

Washington was in a similar place a year ago. Went through the process. Took the feedback he received and polished his game. Will probably be a lottery pick. Montgomery probably on the same path. Wish him the best what ever he decides.

16. Urincatland
    10:43 am April 19, 2019 Permalink

People get on here and rip these kids for doing what they think is best for them is absurd! If it was your kid and they could make millions you would do the same whether they’re ready or not. If you say you wouldn’t you’re kidding yourself. Keep the negativity to yourself!!

17. DerBaron
    10:44 am April 19, 2019 Permalink

I’ve become “comfortable numb” to this all.

18. Mad Hatter1201
    10:47 am April 19, 2019 Permalink

I don’t blame him for testing the waters. Let them tell him what he needs to work on and develop and come back strong for next season.

19. JDizzle14
    10:53 am April 19, 2019 Permalink

3.8 pts a game=test the NBA waters…..welcome to sports in 2019…..

• peaches76
      3:19 pm April 19, 2019 Permalink

My point exactly. Potential and production 2 different things. If he can get the money I’m all for it. However, I’d hope he’d want a 2nd NBA contract.

20. Realme
    10:53 am April 19, 2019 Permalink

It has been TEN YEARS. People still bitching about players considering going or going to the draft should be expecting this by now.

21. DerBaron
    10:54 am April 19, 2019 Permalink

We might as well go into the G League. Is there an entry fee?

22. Rod Crandler
    11:06 am April 19, 2019 Permalink

Problem is i’m afraid most of these players are listening to agents. Agents are going to say just about anything to lock these guys into a contract with them and offer them advances.

• Soylentbeans
      3:54 pm April 19, 2019 Permalink

Agents need them to get big money and second contracts as well.

23. zoupman
    11:08 am April 19, 2019 Permalink

Is this a joke? Maybe he should also apply to medical school. Sounds to me like someone needing attention.

• 4everUKblue
      5:29 pm April 19, 2019 Permalink

Funny, that’s what I thought when I read your comment!

• Glock
      3:20 pm April 21, 2019 Permalink

Why would he not do this? Nothing to lose and millions to gain. Hes a 6-10 athlete. NBA teams could project him as a solid player in 3 years or so…not like hes a 6-2 guard as far as size .

24. makeitstop
    11:09 am April 19, 2019 Permalink

U know he’s not listed in any mock drafts, right? At all. He’ll get valuable feedback and get to work out for teams and know how the process works. It’s like going for job interviews. He’ll be starting next year at Rupp, just as we always predicted.

• dcforuk
      8:35 pm April 19, 2019 Permalink

I hope you are right. I hope that his circumstances and his thinking are different than Isaac H’s after the 2017 season!

25. bleedblue365
    11:10 am April 19, 2019 Permalink

Hope they tell him everything he needs to improve on. He’s gonna be a beast for us next season

26. sj
    11:12 am April 19, 2019 Permalink

He’s not going to stay in the draft, as other people have mentioned, it’s simply for feedback. I think two years ago the whole team declared for the draft, including the walk ons. Obviously people don’t understand how it works

• JDizzle14
      11:27 am April 19, 2019 Permalink

Exactly, thats the whole point, how much it has changed just from 4 or 5 yrs ago. The one guy was sayin 10 yrs of this u should be used to it–no it hasnt been 10 yrs. Back then, it was ONLY the superstar types u knew would go (Wall, Cousins, Davis, MKG, Towns)….Lamb, Jones, Darius, the Harrisons, WCS, Poythress, guys who all came back for multiple yrs….if any of them were playin college ball today, they’d all be doing this same thing without even blinking. Even as recent as the ’14, ’15 teams, there was some pride still left in coming back, now its considered a failure if u either dont test after a year or get highly drafted as a McAllAmer….its all the things that r in these kids’ ears from agents to scouts to the NBA. and of course Cal, he continues to promote the culture and keep it goin. Like the guy said, the whole roster declared that one year. The point is its not abt UK anymore, and ppl can dislike that all they want to, but its true. The NBA has depleted the college game and Cal helps to keep that goin.

27. CahillsCrossingNT
    11:21 am April 19, 2019 Permalink

Don’t see how he’s back. Even second tier five star recruits think they’re better than they really are. Heck, if Calipari brought in consensus three-star recruits some of them would do the same thing.

• Soylentbeans
      3:55 pm April 19, 2019 Permalink

Yeah because it makes sense to find out what the nba scouts want you.to work on to try and get drafted.

28. addyjaxlarkin
    11:22 am April 19, 2019 Permalink

Hahaha

29. secrick
    11:30 am April 19, 2019 Permalink

Did Nick test the NBA last year. Can’t remember if he did or not.

30. W1ldCats4Life
    12:06 pm April 19, 2019 Permalink

Here is my concern. There is nothing that says he’s ready. Why Cal and the staff don’t straight tell him is beyond me. Next season, maybe he improves, THEN go test the NBA waters. Now he’s lost that opportunity. What if he ends up not being ready after next season and needs a third ala Willy?

Maybe I’m too much the blunt coach, but I’m not sure why he is in belief that his game has an ability to earn time in an.

• dcforuk
      12:23 pm April 19, 2019 Permalink

See #33 below. Many would kill to be a second rounder

31. IndianaSucks
    12:08 pm April 19, 2019 Permalink

This is only slightly concerning because the NBA draft is almost purely based on potential and EJ has a ton of it.

32. Kerosenerag
    12:12 pm April 19, 2019 Permalink

EJ is doing what he needs to do to see were he’s at as a player. Nick needs to do the same thing! There’s nothing wrong with exploring all your options… you’d be crazy not to. Some of these BBN fans need to take a chill pill.

33. dcforuk
    12:20 pm April 19, 2019 Permalink

Could the following be possible:

1. Information has been shared with EJ regarding the likelihood of KB VaTech xfer and/or JMcD coming.

2. EJ sees writing on wall playing time wise.

3. Makes this formal announcement regarding stay in if first rounder.

4. If KB VaTech xfer and/or commit, then say that 2nd rounder option is now on the table given playing time possibilities.

34. dcforuk
    12:27 pm April 19, 2019 Permalink

Remember, too, that my greatest strength‘s carried to extremes becomes a weakness and the same can be said for each of you in the same can be said for the type of player that coach recruits. He recruits players with a lot of ability that have a strong belief and confidence in their ability. Based on that, you could argue that EJ should have the confidence not to worry about his playing time next year. However, you could also argue that he has the confidence that if he can get his foot in the door even in the second round (see number 33 above) that he can make it in the league

35. ukcats1776.90
    12:31 pm April 19, 2019 Permalink

these players really need better people in their ear. if ej gets picked up at the end of 1st rnd, he will get one contract with about 1.5 million over 2 years. if he is like most late 1st rounders he will be lucky to get resigned at the league minimum and last for 4 more years. thatd be total career earnings of like 2-3 million. assuming he doesnt spend it all on Audi’s, Porsche, or Maserati, he will be lucky to have 500k in the bank when he is out of the league at 25. what will he do then? he cant even get a 35k a year drop as a college dropout. he will be broke by 30. so, he finishes his degree – in what? engineering? lol. hed be lucky to get one in some dumb lib arts and be left selling insurance for 50k.

if he just stays another year or two and gets good enough to go in the lottery he’ll get more money with one contract than a player taken #30 will make in his entire life

• IndianaSucks
      12:48 pm April 19, 2019 Permalink

I would’ve left college after one year if I was guaranteed 1.5 mil for two years of work and a lifetime scholarship from UK that I could return to at any time if I didn’t develop at all, like you’re assuming, and I couldn’t go overseas and make several hundred thousands of dollars a year either. I’m not saying it’s the right decision for him but money talks.

• ukcats1776.90
      1:36 pm April 19, 2019 Permalink

u are ignoring the fact that ur chances of making tens of million of dollars likely go up a TON if u would just stay in school another year

• dcforuk
      2:59 pm April 19, 2019 Permalink

Perhaps he has some concern that a pursuit and commitment of KB may hinder playing time and a chance to develop into that sure fire early first rounder……that average minutes of playing time may not increase stock that much?

36. GoBigBlue03
    1:09 pm April 19, 2019 Permalink

I loved watching EJ play this season. I was said, UK goes as far as EJ goes. Now the debate if Cal should of put him in and take out Reid, that’s another topic l. The kid has a TON of talent. If we didn’t have RT this year, them EJ might have been a lottery pick. So it doesn’t surprise me if he does stay in the draft. Maybe he goes and works out and showcases the scouts what Cal didn’t let him showcase, the ability to stay in front of guards and shoot the ball. If he comes back next year, no doubt, he’s a top 10 pick, has the potential to become top 5.

37. chrislarkey
    1:09 pm April 19, 2019 Permalink

Say he is offered 2 million a year. That is good but the players better learn money management skills and not live beyond their means and learn they can’t just go buy lots of stuff and then have nothing left

Good luck

38. JPGott2
    2:22 pm April 19, 2019 Permalink

He is getting an evaluation from NBA execs. Why would he not????

I am quite confident he is coming back. He will then work on his game and on what those execs tell him.

Remember when the entire team declared, including the walk-on’s from a few years ago.

39. Fitz
    3:15 pm April 19, 2019 Permalink

If I only logged 4 minutes and then sat the entire second half in a huge NCAA tournament game I’d seriously consider how important I was to a team and explore all options for next season. Perhaps E.J. Is of a similar mindset.

• TheMaxCat
      3:53 pm April 19, 2019 Permalink

He’s testing the waters and getting feedback which is good, and he may just be wanting to have another option as well. His minutes were lessened last year because he had experienced guys in front of him and if Cal is able to get KB or another grad transfer it could play into his decision. Two points to remember is the NBA drafts on potential (as has been stated) and its a weak draft this year.

40. J. Did
    4:42 pm April 19, 2019 Permalink

Dude is fooling himself.

What he needs to ask himself is the following:
    Why did I not play more; especially in the important games down the stretch?
    What can I do to improve myself – and the team?
    What skills can I develop to help myself – and others – to get to the next level long term?

He has not been able to address the deficiencies.

Is that on him? Or the staff?

It’s a two way street. He needs to get his license.

• 4everUKblue
      5:34 pm April 19, 2019 Permalink

You need to ask yourself the following:

What would I do if I were in his shoes?
      Would I take a shot at being a millionaire after one year?
      Would I give a shit what some dumbass troll thinks?

You need to get a fuking life and stop worrying about what he does.

41. dcforuk
    4:46 pm April 19, 2019 Permalink

NBA does draft on potential but when you take a look at some of these names on the bubble (Happ, Lawson etc), then even a second round pick seems very iffy…..

42. Brad
    6:13 pm April 19, 2019 Permalink

Ej played well in his 4 minutes vs Auburn. Thought he should have got some run in the 2nd half. His length bothered their tiny guards

43. JT55
    10:26 pm April 19, 2019 Permalink

This site is starting to remove certain comments now? Turning into CNN or what