EJ Floreal’s Wednesday Morning Wakeup

Screen Shot 2016-03-01 at 9.23.32 PM

Regardless of how this season ends, when people look back on this team, they’ll probably think of Tyler Ulis and Jamal Murray; however, I’d like to take the opportunity to shine a light on a very underrated member of this year’s team, last year’s team, and the team before that: EJ Floreal.

Floreal hasn’t scored a point this season, but I’d argue he’s had a bigger impact than most on this group, quietly pulling the strings behind the scenes. Floreal is the social director of the crew, which anyone who’s seen the team behind-the-scenes can attest. Also, anyone who’s seen his dunks at warmups will tell you that Floreal, son of UK Track & Field Coach Edrick Floreal, is an athletic freak who would get minutes at a mid-major program; yet, he’s contributing plenty at Kentucky by helping each crop of Wildcats gel. Also, he’s the star of UK’s pregame dance circles. A few examples to get you moving this morning:

Tyler Ulis should win MVP, but can we get a commemorative disco ball for my man EJ?

So, how about Skal last night?

After spending most of the season in obscurity, Skal emerged last night, scoring 11 points and grabbing 8 rebounds, and he may have gotten more if not for foul trouble. Was he the “tweak”? I doubt Calipari would ever admit it, but Cal was preaching the importance of building confidence in his bigs all week, and I can’t think of a better way than giving Skal his first start than the Ohio State game.

Skal’s performance was big, but, as always, I’ll really believe if he follows it up with another impressive performance on Saturday.

Jamal Murray’s bow and arrow is still awesome

We’re accustomed to three-pointer celebrations here at Kentucky, but the bow and arrow trumps Doron Lamb’s three-goggles and Devin Booker’s reload if you ask me.

The current SEC standings

9. Arkansas 8-8
10. Florida 8-9
11. Mississippi State 6-10
12. Tennessee 6-11
13. Auburn 5-12
14. Missouri* 3-14

That takes tiebreakers into account. For Kentucky to win the SEC Regular Season Championship outright and clinch the #1-seed in the SEC Tournament, they need to beat LSU and hope Vandy knocks off Texas A&M on Saturday.

Louisville gave Trey Lewis and Damion Lee Championship rings

…even though Louisville didn’t win a championship. Look, I like Lewis and Lee and, as the only members of the program who weren’t at Louisville during the sex scandal, they’re been dealt a bad hand in all this, but come on. To hammer home the martyrdom, they also played “One Shining Moment.”

Weren’t Louisville fans piling on Lewis and Lee just the other day?

College basketball on TV today

SEC

• 7 p.m.: Mississippi State at Ole Miss, SEC Network
  • 9 p.m.: Arkansas at Alabama, SEC Network

Top 25

• 7 p.m.: Texas Tech at #10 West Virginia, ESPNU
  • 7 p.m.: #7 Miami at Notre Dame, ESPN2
  • 7 p.m.: #2 Michigan State at Rutgers, BTN
  • 9 p.m.: #9 Oregon at UCLA, ESPN2

Today’s radio show may be one to remember

After all the drama that went down in Louisville yesterday, you’re going to want to tune in to hear Matt’s take. Get some work done, it starts in an hour.

32 Comments for EJ Floreal’s Wednesday Morning Wakeup

1. nybrasky
    9:17 am March 2, 2016 Permalink

Louisville is pathetic. Still no accountability on anyone’s part, just rhetoric and self-victimization. I hope both those rings are on eBay the second the final buzzer of their last game sounds.

Now that they’re not in any post-season tourney’s, Rick will also self-appointed them as “likely” ACC Champs, Final Four team & National Champ when in reality they’re a 2nd round loser, Sweet 16 at best. Maybe they’ll give out rings for those “titles” too.

2. CatFan26
    9:20 am March 2, 2016 Permalink

Isnt buying jewelry for players a violation? Yeah when teams win championships they earn rings but these were just bought for the players as a gift.

• ClutchCargo
      9:28 am March 2, 2016 Permalink

^ This would be friggin’ hilarious if it turned out that way.

• leon singleton
      9:36 am March 2, 2016 Permalink

Who pays for Kentucky players tattoos.

• TorpedoVegas
      9:45 am March 2, 2016 Permalink

I didn’t realize only UK players had tattoos. Weird.

• RealCatsFan
      9:48 am March 2, 2016 Permalink

Leon, who the hell pays for the tats of kids on nearly all the teams across the country? Yep, I wonder about that too, but you have always seen people, even those who are economically disadvantaged, sporting some big, gaudy tats. It’s just the ‘thing’ these days. Years ago it was gold inlays and crowns for some of the kids. That ain’t cheap either.

• UK Big Board Update
      9:55 am March 2, 2016 Permalink

Dumbass leon thinks all UK players (and more correctly, black players) are poor.

• RealCatsFan
      9:57 am March 2, 2016 Permalink

Yeah, I heard Derek Willis grew up in a Bullitt County trailer park and sold meth to get his tattoos, derp derp derp.

• ukkatzfan
      10:17 am March 2, 2016 Permalink

UK Big Board Update… Where did leon say anything about black players? or about anyone being poor? Leon only mentioned UK players. Trolls > Racists

• UK Big Board Update
      10:45 am March 2, 2016 Permalink

Don’t be an idiot. That’s exactly what he’s implying.

• ukkatzfan
      11:19 am March 2, 2016 Permalink

If you think you know what someone is implying on here, then the idiot is you. I think what he is implying is that UK players get money under the table. But I may be wrong. That is why I didn’t reply about his comment. To imply something from a written word is to read intentions into what thinks. UK insults come from UK enemies not so much from racists.

• Chip Chipperson
      11:39 am March 2, 2016 Permalink

YAY PUDDING!! Leon is a silly boy.Leon I bet you’re a Joey Brackets kind of guy aren’t you…..

• UK Big Board Update
      11:54 am March 2, 2016 Permalink

Here, ukkatzfan, let me help you out:

click the link, and then read his comments on WKYT’s site, and enjoy.

Don’t say I didn’t warn ya.

• ukkatzfan
      12:24 pm March 2, 2016 Permalink

UK Big Board Update, I’d like to apologize to you for calling you a racist. Leon clearly makes racist remarks toward Mexicans in the comments and seems to be a angry hate filled person. He seems to make negative comments about a variety of subjects. I hope he has a change of heart in the future. I will say most comments written can be taken in both positive and negative ways in other circumstances. I have been on both sides of that…so I try not to imply anything in reading comments. I had no idea of his other comments elsewhere.

• UK Big Board Update
      5:11 pm March 2, 2016 Permalink

No worries, mate. I’m just trying to bring to light the impostors and trolls that continually linger around here.

Trust me, I know who they all are. 😉

3. kentuckyrld
    9:25 am March 2, 2016 Permalink

I am sorry, well not really, that I am so unsympathetic, but the ul players knew that the scandal was hanging over the program when they transferred in. The problems they now face should be no surprise. When you make a deal with the devil you have to expect consequences.

• BobKYCats
      9:28 am March 2, 2016 Permalink

In their defense they transferred in well before anyone outside of Katina Powell knew about Katina Powell’s writing career.

4. ukcamel
    9:48 am March 2, 2016 Permalink

I was under the impression that if the teams have the same record they share the regular season championship and that the tie-breaker is only for seeding in the SEC tourney (where honestly 1 v. 2 doesn’t matter).

• BobKYCats
      9:53 am March 2, 2016 Permalink

That’s the case here, as well; it was just poorly worded.

• Mrs. Tyler Thompson
      9:58 am March 2, 2016 Permalink

You’re poorly worded.

• BobKYCats
      9:59 am March 2, 2016 Permalink

lol.

luv ya, Tyler. 🙂

• plumloopy
      10:52 am March 2, 2016 Permalink

Thanks – I’ve asked this before here but probably not followed up on my posts to see if it was answered. The difference between a 1 or 2 seed in the SEC tournament amounts to an extra 2 hours of rest given how even the rest of the field is in the top half of the conference.

We would still be co-champs and that’s way more important.

5. RealCatsFan
    9:55 am March 2, 2016 Permalink

Listening to Tom Leach, and he was talking about the light crowd at the O-Dome. Even in a down year, however, they still bring a much larger crowd against the Cats. For comparison, look at the crowd that showed up at A&M for the Auburn game. Couldn’t have been more than a few thousand people, and that’s probably a generous estimate.

Along those lines, did anyone hear them talking about the renovations coming to the O-Dome? They said they will finally move the seats and scorers’ tables back more than 18 inches from the sidelines. This is way overdue. I think the tight quarters, along with the goal supports being barely 4 feet back from the endlines, present a major hazard. I think this contributed to Nerlens’ injury in 2013. If he had more room, he probably wouldn’t have run into the goal support after hustling to make that block. Could have been the difference between a berth in the NCAA tourney and a first round NIT loss.

• J-Dub421
      9:59 am March 2, 2016 Permalink

I can’t believe that with all the stupid rules the NCAA has, that there isn’t some kind of standard for this sort of thing.

• Mathlete
      12:36 pm March 2, 2016 Permalink

If the league standardized courts, Vandy would have to remodel too since they’re the only team with benches under the goals.

6. vegascatfan
    10:37 am March 2, 2016 Permalink

One and Done.

7. binarysolo
    10:51 am March 2, 2016 Permalink

On the ring where it says “I’ve Got Your Back” … who exactly is “I” and what does it mean really? Great point by CatFan26, it would be hilarious if it was construed as a gift — especially since it only went to Lewis and Lee.

What it should say is “Reach The Ceiling”.

8. kyle heavy
    11:20 am March 2, 2016 Permalink

How is this legal? Giving rings to two players for a phantom championship. This is absolutely hilarious and only something UL would do.

9. Chip Chipperson
    11:30 am March 2, 2016 Permalink

“one shining moment” are you serious can we get video of what might be the saddest funniest thing ever witnessed. Poor kids, but the University has lost its mind.

10. mobile2
    11:44 am March 2, 2016 Permalink

UK has Rupp’s Runts & The Unforgettables…UL has Pitino’s Squirts.

11. papasnapper
    12:18 pm March 2, 2016 Permalink

I think that the rings were a nice gesture, but…
    1. As already mentioned, wouldn’t giving jewelry to athletes an NCAA violation?
    2. Reeks of Indiana celebrating when no reason for celebration exists.

12. kvltclassic
    4:48 pm March 2, 2016 Permalink

Bylaw 16.1.4.1 Participation Awards. Awards for participation in intercollegiate athletics may be presented each year, limited in value and number as specified in Figure 16-1.

It’s up to $425 in value.