Eight muscle cramp remedies for Julius Randle

(AP Photo/James Crisp)

(AP Photo/James Crisp)

(AP Photo/James Crisp)

Not since living on an all-girls hall my freshman year at college have I heard so much talk about cramps.  Of course, Julius Randle’s cramps are of the muscle variety, but over the past few days, the BBN has become obsessed with helping its star player overcome his frequent spasms, to the point that we’ve heard some truly unusual home remedies.  I channeled my inner WebMD Monday afternoon and researched some of them.  Here are eight muscle cramp remedies for Julius and the UK training staff:

2014-01-13 16_13_30

Bananas:  The cramp remedy as old as time: B-AN-AN-AS!  Potassium deficiency, among other things, causes cramps, and bananas are high in both potassium and magnesium.  Plus, they’re delicious.  However, eating one banana when you get a cramp won’t do much because it takes the body a while to digest it, so perhaps Julius should have some over his cereal in the morning.  Or with some peanut butter like Elvis.

tumblr_ly3p3oHsy41qagosi

Saran wrap: My favorite remedy so far comes from Rose, one of our favorite callers on the radio show, who suggested that Julius wrap saran wrap around his thighs during halftime of the game to get rid of cramps. Rose said that the nurses at St. Claire’s hospital in Morehead saran wrapped her legs when she was having cramps during labor.  “I know it sounds crazy, but it works. I’ve done it ever since,” Rose told Matt and Ryan while rocking in her chair overlooking Caney Creek. “My husband laughed at me and laughed at me ’til he got cramps so bad one night. Well, I got the saran wrap out and wrapped his big legs up and he stopped cramping.”  Rose said you have to be thorough about it, and offered to wrap Julius’ legs herself if it would help the cause:  “It has to overlap, there can’t be no gaps in it. I mean, you’ve gotta wrap it round and round.” No word on the effect Rose’s magical moonshine has on cramps.

juice

Pickle juice:  This is probably the most popular modern remedy for muscle cramps, and by far the most disgusting to me. According to a study at BYU, pickle juice relieves cramps 37% faster than water and 45% faster than no fluids at all. Why? Experts believe the salt and fluids in pickle juice quickly rehydrate and replenish missing electrolytes.  In fact, studies show that pickle juice can relieve cramps in only 85 seconds.  That’s not even a TV timeout.

1012746182

Mustard: Bobby Bluegrass called into the show this morning and said that his wife made him eat yellow mustard the last time he had cramps.  After three minutes, the cramps disappeared.  It’s his go-to remedy now.  Apparently, the tumeric (which makes mustard yellow), the vinegar, and the salt replenish the body.  Bobby’s one of many to suggest this remedy, so perhaps Julius needs to tuck some mustard packets in his socks tomorrow night.

water-droplet1

Fluids: Duh. #TeamWater

apple-cider-vinegar

Vinegar: I was not surprised to see vinegar on a list of muscle cramp remedies since it’s a remedy for just about everything.  High in potassium, apple cider vinegar can quickly ail leg cramps, and tastes much better when mixed with a little bit of honey.  If that’s still too gross to consider, you can also rub the vinegar directly on your legs, which, combined with sweat, makes for a lovely smell.

1044753.large

A bar of soap under the sheets: I thought this was a joke when I first read it, but apparently if you sleep with a bar of soap under your fitted sheet, it will reduce leg cramps during the night.  No one knows why it works, but people swear by it.  Julius’ problems come during games, so this might not work, but it would still be hilarious to see him walking around before the game with a bar of soap strapped to his legs.

ACDC---Stiff-upper-lip

Pinching your upper lip:  Again, not a joke.  Some say that pinching the skin between your nose and upper lip, also known as an “acupinch,” is a quick and easy way to relieve cramps.  At the first sign of pain, pinch the area for 20-30 seconds, or until the cramps subside.

Got more?  Leave them in the comments section.  (And don’t say “Midol.” It’s beneath you.)

32 Comments for Eight muscle cramp remedies for Julius Randle

1. Steve
    8:14 pm January 13, 2014 Permalink

Green vegetables, most people, and athletes do not eat enough green vegetables which can lead to cramping. Also cocoanut oil can help allot faster than potassium.

2. fencepostpaul
    8:22 pm January 13, 2014 Permalink

From what i have seen the girl that he is dating he ain’t eating Bananas Maybe using Saran Wrap Just saying

3. Trevor from SC
    8:24 pm January 13, 2014 Permalink

Pedialite is the absolute best thing for cramps on the day of. Instant solution.

• Ryan
      8:28 pm January 13, 2014 Permalink

Also, it’s an incredible hangover cure. If you can remember to drink a glass before you go to bed after shrinking alcohol you will wake up feeling much better

4. BigBlueVein
    8:28 pm January 13, 2014 Permalink

They play better as a team when Randle is not in
    the game….just saying.

5. bosshogg24
    8:30 pm January 13, 2014 Permalink

The # 1 cure for muscle cramps wasn’t mentioned, it’s Magnesium Oil! I use it all the time!

6. Big Diesel
    8:31 pm January 13, 2014 Permalink

Very simple. Just watch Mr. Randle during warm ups. For some reason the medical staff is stuck in the 80s and encouraging our player to “static stretch.” This is an absolute no no. I can’t believe the staff has not gone to 100% Dynamic stretching. Yes, I am a doctor.

7. NKY_UK_fan
    8:38 pm January 13, 2014 Permalink

Why is UK playing AT Arkansas in back to back seasons?

• Duh
      8:48 pm January 13, 2014 Permalink

They also come to Rupp this year. I thought the same thing and then I checked the schedule and saw that we play them twice.

8. brandon
    8:46 pm January 13, 2014 Permalink

go to a horse racetrack and get some horse liminet it is the cure for all muscle and bone pain my grand father taught me this as he lived in louisville and would get it from church hill downs it is used to limber up the horses and prevent cramps b4 the race so y not try it on our prized thoroughbred

9. Duh
    8:49 pm January 13, 2014 Permalink

The number 1 cure for the cramps would be for TT to get in the kitchen and make Julius a sandwich…NOW!!

10. hangin#9
    8:51 pm January 13, 2014 Permalink

I wondered the same thing NKY, we get em at home on Feb 27th. 2 games against Ark in a year?

11. Hal
    8:56 pm January 13, 2014 Permalink

take some stretching lessons from jarnell stokes. heard that kid had to learn to stretch during the season bc he didnt know how. look at him now….

12. Daniel
    9:01 pm January 13, 2014 Permalink

my knees cramp up sometimes but when i wear tight cloth braces you get at Rite Aid and places like that all day they cure right up

13. Micki DeMoss's Mustache
    9:06 pm January 13, 2014 Permalink

As the original suggester of the yellow mustard, I will repeat that my father still swears by it, and I still think he is completely nuts.

14. Dan the UK fan
    9:13 pm January 13, 2014 Permalink

Seriously why don’t they use Pedialyte??? We use it in Milsim events and the military uses it for the troops to prevent dehydration in the desert. We use it to hydrate before an event in extreme heat. It works better than anything else I’ve tried.

15. Dan the UK fan
    9:16 pm January 13, 2014 Permalink

Pedialyte!

16. kes
    9:24 pm January 13, 2014 Permalink

I think we have another ryan harrow type head case here

• UK/Ark
      9:42 am January 14, 2014 Permalink

Did you really just compare JR to RH??

17. Cov
    9:24 pm January 13, 2014 Permalink

Simple !!!! Ted Hose !!!

18. Peanut Butter Jelly Time!
    9:25 pm January 13, 2014 Permalink

Peanut butter jelly time!!

19. Captain Obvious
    9:28 pm January 13, 2014 Permalink

OR! Cal can learn how to sub. We have 3 guys that can get him rest in the first half. Poythress, Dakari and Lee. I’d bring Poythress in between 6 and 8 minutes. Any form of anxiety or nervousness is going to be at the start of the game so subbing him early will alleviate that. Although I don’t think that is it. He’s getting triple teamed and has to work his arse off the whole game. So yea, which brings us back to Cal learning how to sub. Cal even acknowledged it yesterday. He’s the King of after-the-fact coaching knowledge. He only needs it to happen 3 or 4 times then he gets it.

20. Franny Clifton
    9:48 pm January 13, 2014 Permalink

In response to the lady calling about Saran Wrap for the legs, I found the below comment on the http://www.whatexpect.com website for expecting mothers. This was a remedy for leg cramps during pregnancy. Thought it was interesting. The Saran Wrap would just be like applying a heating pad to the affected area.

“When you go to bed at night, put bio freeze on your calves and then wrap them in Saran Wrap. I use an old tube sock that I cut the foot off to cover the Saran Wrap. I’ve had to do this for years because if a terrible leg injury. It helps so much.”

• twocoach
      10:54 am January 14, 2014 Permalink

It’s called COMPRESSION. It has nothing to do with Saran Wrap. Anything could be used. Long distance bikers use comression tights to aid in the rapid recovery of their legs. They are also used by many people who fly a lot. wearing them during long flights under your clothes helps with blood flow and reduces swelling in the legs and reduces jetlag.

21. MollyB
    9:53 pm January 13, 2014 Permalink

Coconut Water! It works miracles.

22. Kevin C.
    1:24 am January 14, 2014 Permalink

The pickle juice and vinegar are pretty much the same thing…..so it’s really only 7 “remedies”.

23. Kingscuba89
    3:36 am January 14, 2014 Permalink

Mustard, no joke. I’ve seen it work within about 1 minuet.

24. Nurse
    3:50 am January 14, 2014 Permalink

Go to your MD and get electrolytes checked (sodium, potassium, chloride, CO2), magnesium.. it could be a medical problem.

25. JJeff
    5:59 am January 14, 2014 Permalink

If pinching your upper lip works, that might explain that weird pucker-face Randle makes.

26. NoelGallagher
    7:33 am January 14, 2014 Permalink

Seriously enough with the old fashioned stuff. I participate in cycling, the sport that creates the most cramping due to long duration of race & cardio intensity. There are a couple products developed for Grand Tour riders, if these don’t help nothing will. Osmo Nutrition Pre Hydration take as soon as you wake up to top off electrolytes & balance PH in body. Then during the game ditch the Gatorade, use Infinit Jet Fuel. Your Welcome

27. zach
    8:05 am January 14, 2014 Permalink

+100000 for pedialyte

28. twocoach
    10:50 am January 14, 2014 Permalink

Hwo about “Get your fat a$$ on a treadmill and get in shape?”