Ed Davender suffers heart attack, in serious condition (UPDATED)

Some unfortunate news to pass along: former UK great Ed Davender suffered a heart attack yesterday and is currently in serious condition at UK Hospital.

Davender, 49, played for UK from 1984-1988 and ranks 11th on the all-time scoring list, with 1,637 points. In 2010, he was sentenced to eight years in prison for a UK Basketball ticket scam in which victims lost tens of thousands of dollars.

Our thoughts are with Davender and his family in this critical time.

UPDATE: According to the Herald-Leader, Davender is now on life support. His friends and former teammates are holding a vigil by his bedside.

20 Comments for Ed Davender suffers heart attack, in serious condition (UPDATED)

1. Chaz
    2:42 pm April 27, 2016 Permalink

from the Chicago Tribune 1988.

“If it weren`t for Chapman, an All-Southeastern Conference first-team choice, Davender would be the brightest star in Kentucky`s basketball galaxy. He`s not only a fearless competitor, often successfully driving against tall inside players guarding baskets, but has accepted the fact Chapman gets the spotlight.”

Don’t judge the man by what he did wrong, we all sin. I hope he survives this.

• Duuuuuude
      6:10 pm April 27, 2016 Permalink

Its true. He was a steal machine. Chapman was a rock star though and stole the spotlight.

• Yep, I love to watch players like him who can shut down the opponent’s best player (like Deandre Liggins more recently). I remember him doing that to Litterial Green of UGA.

• WeareBBN
      12:43 am April 28, 2016 Permalink

Duuuuuude…and they both kept stealing way after their playing days.

2. Sentient Third Eye
    2:45 pm April 27, 2016 Permalink

At one time, Davender was my favorite UK player of all time. Here’s hoping that he recovers.

• catdaddyd
      10:43 am April 28, 2016 Permalink

Didn’t like him as a player at all. But don’t wish him dead. These guys an education and throw it away.

3. inside info2
    3:01 pm April 27, 2016 Permalink

Great player. I hope he recovers quickly and easily.

4. inside info2
    5:10 pm April 27, 2016 Permalink

I still hate the Harrison’s, though.

• Sarahvah
      5:37 pm April 27, 2016 Permalink

Harrison’s as opposed to Harrisons?

5. chimichanga
    6:14 pm April 27, 2016 Permalink

Hate to hear this kind of news. My thoughts and prayers are with Davender and his family.

6. keiths
    6:19 pm April 27, 2016 Permalink

I always liked Ed. He was a gamer and hated to lose

7. Oh no, that’s awful news. Prayers going up for Ed and his family.

8. Jhayden0069
    8:01 pm April 27, 2016 Permalink

I personally watched this man scam myself, 2 of my friends, and multiple other people for season basketball tickets. He is a piece of sh** and got what was coming.

• inside info2
      10:28 pm April 27, 2016 Permalink

Don’t be stupid and buy them the correct way. Like everyone else.

• WeareBBN
      12:38 am April 28, 2016 Permalink

8 years for a scam, people murder and get less than that. Of course since that was in 2010 and this is 2016 he did not spend 8 years. Hard to feel sorry for him, I forgive people who make mistakes but his was not a mistake. He plotted to scam people, to make others have harder lives for his own greed. Sorry Ed, loved you as a player but no respect for you as a person. Same for Rex, funny to see him saying what type of man Ed is, you are worthless and to think I once proudly said Rexington, Ky.

• WeareBBN
      12:41 am April 28, 2016 Permalink

As for inside info….no matter how stupid people are for buying tix {buying to go see your team is never stupid}, does not give anyone the right to commit fraud, shows the kind of so called man Ed is. No feelings for others, just his own greed. Especially coming from someone that UK and BBN gave so much to and would have continued to do so.

9. BoogieDMC
    11:48 pm April 27, 2016 Permalink

Ed Davender is one of my favorites of all time and I hope he pulls through. Mr. Inside info2, screw yourself! Some of us can’t get ticket the “correct way” and we do what we do. We don’t deserve to get taken.

10. Megan
    12:36 am April 28, 2016 Permalink

He’s way too young for this. And it doesn’t sound good. I hope he makes it.

11. rexchapmanforpres
    8:02 pm April 28, 2016 Permalink

I hope Ed pulls through, my prayers and thoughts are with him and his family. Side note: Ed is my wife’s favorite UK player!

12. mlw333
    4:21 pm April 29, 2016 Permalink

When I was a little boy my cousin in Owensboro went to senior prom with Rex Chapman, so the next year they both ended at UK. Before Christmas break she took up to Lexington to meet the team and get some autographs. For some reason i was infatuated with Davender and Richard “Master Blaster” Madison. They were both so kind and generous to me. That program I have with the teams autographs still ranks as one of my favorite gifts I’ve ever received.