Duke suspends Grayson Allen indefinitely

I’ll echo what Drew said in this morning’s wakeup and say thank you to Grayson Allen and Duke for stealing the headlines from Kentucky’s loss to Louisville. This morning, Duke suspended Allen indefinitely for tripping Elon’s Steven Santa Ana last night, the third time Allen’s been caught tripping an opponent.

“We have had the opportunity to thoroughly review the incident involving Grayson Allen from last night’s game against Elon,” coach Mike Krzyzewski said in a statement. “As I stated last night, the incident was unacceptable and inexcusable. He took an important step last night by apologizing in person to Steven Santa Ana and Coach Matt Matheny. As a program, we needed to take further steps regarding his actions that do not meet the standards of Duke Basketball. To that end, we have determined that Grayson will be suspended from competition for an indefinite amount of time.”

If you haven’t checked the news, social media, or this very website yet today, here’s the trip and Allen’s bizarre tantrum after getting a technical for it:

The ACC is expected to review the matter this morning. Meanwhile, if you ask Luke Kennard, Duke has bigger problems to worry about, like team chemistry.

“Everybody, they’re not bought in,” Kennard said. “They’re not all the way consumed in winning. Everybody’s not consumed in just being one.”

That superteam tag can be hard to handle, right?

22 Comments for Duke suspends Grayson Allen indefinitely

1. Sentient Third Eye
    10:11 am December 22, 2016 Permalink

So we’re talking about, realistically, something that will end up being a three-game suspension, since Duke doesn’t play anyone good until Florida State on January 10th. A few days before that game, Coach K will announce that Allen has “learned his lesson” and “received counseling”, and all is forgiven.

2. Booby Petrino
    10:25 am December 22, 2016 Permalink

I wonder if coach K’s definition of “indefinitely” is different than Pitino’s.

• ClutchCargo
      12:14 pm December 22, 2016 Permalink

I’d say it’s identical to Pitino’s: he will sit until needed.

3. Wildfelinebeeline
    10:32 am December 22, 2016 Permalink

Lukie the Dukie has a lot of nerve to talk about team chemistry! He was all about UK until he found out he wasn’t going to be the center of attention! I REALLY hope we play them in the tourney! Go Cayts!

• Luether
      7:43 pm December 22, 2016 Permalink

Kennard’s idea of team chemistry is that the Dook team (and world) should revolve around him…

4. Sentient Third Eye
    10:36 am December 22, 2016 Permalink

Certainly, between Giles extending the games he didn’t play because he wanted to be “extra sure” he didn’t damage his NBA earning potential with too many low-scoring games and now the Allen meltdown, this year’s Duke team is turning into their version of “Team Turmoil”.

5. runningunnin.454
    10:36 am December 22, 2016 Permalink

Indefinitely, until the first tough game.

• Ridge Runner
      10:50 am December 22, 2016 Permalink

Looking now when they play at UNC

6. J-Dub421
    10:41 am December 22, 2016 Permalink

K only suspended Allen because he was shamed into it by the media.

• runningunnin.454
      10:49 am December 22, 2016 Permalink

Absolutely, when you have two Dukies calling our game going off on rants about the prissy little Dorothy, K had to do something….which probably won’t amount to much. Needs to call in a good psychiatrist.

• J-Dub421
      10:54 am December 22, 2016 Permalink

K played him in the second half. If he really had a problem with Allen’s tripping, he wouldn’t have played him n the second half.

• @BRadfromtheBoo
      11:04 am December 22, 2016 Permalink

If you think about it, K didn’t really do anything. If any player gets their 2nd foul in the 1st half, they’re probably sitting for the rest of the half anyway.
      So all he did was not start him in the 2nd half. But he was back in after the 1st TV TO of the 2nd half.

7. meeksfor3
    10:47 am December 22, 2016 Permalink

I have said all along there would be chemistry problems with this team. Tatum is the black hole of basketball, Grayson is very temperamental…part temper and part mental and Kennard is going to get his shots too. Throw Giles on top of that if he is able to come back and you have a recipe for turmoil.

By the way since they are not doing anything until after Christmas my guess is that is when Grayson’s suspension from basketball activities will be lifted.

8. henderblue
    10:49 am December 22, 2016 Permalink

#6 you may be on to something there. Kennard probably right about the chemistry thing. Great teams have to buy into the unselfishness. Our team will have to buy in to it as well. To be great

9. Ridge Runner
    10:49 am December 22, 2016 Permalink

This psycho didn’t start revealing itself in college. It’s on a national stage now but if kid gets treatment, ya know the background will show tantrums earlier that went excused.

10. jsh2001
    10:55 am December 22, 2016 Permalink

Has there been a guy who was so widely picked in the preseason as POY that fell out of the discussion quicker without an injury? Also, I’m still waiting for Duke to impress me. Obviously, they have all the pieces and could come together by March but they have been pretty lackluster every time I have watched them play. It will be interesting how they progress as Giles continues to get more minutes.

11. @BRadfromtheBoo
    10:59 am December 22, 2016 Permalink

Over/Under on games this spoiled brat actually misses? I set it at 2. I’ll take the under.
    The ACC called Coach K and said if you don’t suspend him we will. I seriously doubt he misses more than 2 games.
    But really, it wouldn’t surprise me if Duke starts playing better now. Less players demanding the ball.
    You know these talented freshmen were tired of Allen’s elitist attitude. They’re all more talented than him, and they know it. But Coach K still hasn’t really embraced the one&done philosophy on a day-to-day basis. I guarantee he still shows favoritism to his upperclassmen, whether they’re the better player or not. So of course there is chemistry issues.
    This just shows that just because K is getting the recruits like Cal, doesn’t mean he knows how to coach them.

12. lexfan
    11:54 am December 22, 2016 Permalink

He should have been reprimanded last year when he showed his true colors. I love it that Coach K has to suspend him. You could tell by his interview he didn’t want to. For the record, don’t sleep on Va. Tech. Buzz has made this team pretty good. 10-1 and ranked #27.

13. RealCatsFan
    12:06 pm December 22, 2016 Permalink

Bolden really should have come to UK instead of Duke. He could learn what a real TEAM is all about. Then again, maybe he wasn’t interested in that.

14. Clyde X
    5:16 pm December 22, 2016 Permalink

Like everyone else, I have seen Allen pull this crap three times. The question nobody is asking is how many times has he tripped someone away from the ball when nobody is looking. If the little bitch will pull this sh*t in broad daylight in the middle of the floor you can bet you a$$ he is doing far worse when everyone’s attention is directed elsewhere. I can’t believe he hasn’t caught an elbow to the nose. And, what was K’s hissy fit all about after the ref teed Allen up? Your guy just tripped another player and you want to BMW over the foul call. I think K puts up with Allen because they are exactly alike – two little punk-a$$ bitches. I don’t mean that in bad way. Just saying.

15. 2thepoint
    5:41 pm December 22, 2016 Permalink

You can bet allen will be dressed for every game regardless of how long the suspension is.

What made me so angry about the trip is because he is practiced at it. The trip happened as he was immediately swinging his arms around trying to fool the ref one more time. Then after the swinging was done he opened up his hands as if he was the one being fouled. I don’t watch many duke games, but I bet that ruse happens a lot. I would love to see someone trip him when he is running full tilt. The fall and ‘fall-out’ would be news worthy.

I can’t believe the ACC was the one telling rat face to suspend him, because it happened fast. I think the president of the university made a one-sided telephone call that ended with, “yes sir”. Hopefully the ACC and NCAA will do something about k condoning such actions over the years.

• symphonist41169
      9:54 am December 23, 2016 Permalink

The only person saying “yes sir” in that conversation would be the Dook president saying it to Kryskiwzxjviwekjloski.