Duke, Kentucky early favorites to win 2019 national championship

The 2017-18 college basketball season is now over, which means it’s time to look ahead to next year. With NBA Draft decisions looming, Duke is the early favorite to take home the 2019 national championship, but Kentucky isn’t far behind.

The odds are out at the Westgate SuperBook in Vegas and Duke leads at 5-1, followed by Kentucky, Kansas, and current champs Villanova at 8-1. The next closest SEC team is Auburn at 30-1, followed by Florida at 40-1.

Team Odds
Maryland 60/1
Ohio State 60/1
Clemson 60/1
Miami (FL) 60/1
N.C. State 60/1
Vanderbilt 60/1

Looking at this just makes me bitter about the 50-1 odds I snagged for this season. Grumble, grumble.

[mobile_ad]

13 Comments for Duke, Kentucky early favorites to win 2019 national championship

1. UKLugo
    12:12 pm April 3, 2018 Permalink

Look, I hate Duke as much as the next person; but I can admite when the Dookies have a team I am afraid of, like this year and last. I am not afraid of next year’s team. No doubt, their 4 incoming frosh are relatively good players, although I feel Williamson is vastly overrated. I say relatively because it’s well-known that this class is a weak one. Unless they add in the spring, which, I’m sure they will (but what?), as they stand, this team has no bigs worth a shit and no real outside shooting except Reddish( and O’Connell and Goldwire. umm…who???). I fully expect them to add either Montgomery or a grad transfer (or both). But if not, they will be a major disappointment.

2. I know they do this because everyone has to get clicks to pay the bills and salaries, but man, it’s ridiculous when teams are still chasing players and don’t know who’s coming back.

• N-UR-i
      12:45 pm April 3, 2018 Permalink

So many of you readers have an unhealthy love/hate relationship with KSR.

3. kjd
    12:43 pm April 3, 2018 Permalink

Hilarious.

4. Underdog
    12:45 pm April 3, 2018 Permalink

Click on this!

5. KYFAN4LYFE
    12:46 pm April 3, 2018 Permalink

Vanderbilt finally gets their 1st McD’s AA, and suddenly they make the list, LOL. Dead last, and 60-1, but still…

6. Biglaw Dawgin'
    12:47 pm April 3, 2018 Permalink

Wow, Tyler when did you get it at 50/1? I feel like it rarely works in our fan’s favor to get pre-season odds since it’s always something like 5/1 or 8/1. I got it one pre-season at 5/1 and then, just before the tournament when we were like a 1 or 2 seed, it was better odds, at 6/1! Meaning, even after all the regular season games were played and we were proved to be legit, I still got better odds than before we even knew who was on the team. I find that it’s best to get it during a losing streak mid-season, which I’m guessing is what you did.

• Mrs. Tyler Thompson
      12:55 pm April 3, 2018 Permalink

Pretty sure it was during the four-game losing streak. Yes, I’m still bitter about it.

• ukcamel
      4:03 pm April 3, 2018 Permalink

I did the same, actually, on Bovada in mid-February.

7. Cmart0907
    2:17 pm April 3, 2018 Permalink

When will they learn top rated recruiting classes don’t win championships?

• UK Big Board Update
      3:20 pm April 3, 2018 Permalink

When will Louisville beat UK again…?

8. ukcamel
    4:07 pm April 3, 2018 Permalink

5-1 is what a crazy-talented team that has lots of guys returning should get. Think UK in 2014-15 or maybe Ohio St. in 2010-11. Even then it usually doesn’t work out.

Considering that even going into the tournament the best team only wins about 20-25% of the time, getting those odds based on the hype of high school kids before they play one game is ridiculous (as we learned in 2012-13).