Duke is cancelling ticket orders 11 days before the Champions Classic

We could have seen this coming. Just 11 days before No. 2 Kentucky takes on No. 4 Duke in the Champions Classic at Bankers Life Fieldhouse, Duke is notifying select fans that their orders would NOT be fulfilled and they will be refunded.

The email looks a little something like this:

I called Duke to get the details. I was told that Duke (in all ticketing situations) will take as many orders they can to make sure their allotment is full, and if the allotment is met and there’s a surplus they go to Iron Duke priority points (K Fund points, basically). Obviously Kentucky fans aren’t going to have Iron Duke priority points, so the tickets purchased by non-Iron Duke priority members were refunded. I was told that fans that had their orders cancelled would be put on a waiting list and could potentially end up with tickets in the Duke section, but they wouldn’t find out until Tuesday, a WEEK before the game. The woman I spoke with basically said those on the waitlist shouldn’t hold their breath as they likely won’t be getting tickets. I did find it funny that before asking for a name for the order they asked for the mailing address. I asked if the Kentucky address had anything to do with orders being cancelled and she said that it didn’t and that’s how they organize their orders. Maybe, but it seems like a lot of Kentuckians are receiving those emails today.

The entire Champions Classic ticketing system is broken and needs to be fixed. Schools have separate release dates. You buy through a school and they clearly aren’t guaranteed. I understand Kansas, MSU and Duke won’t want hoards of UK fans in their sections, but the non-guaranteed ticketing model isn’t fair for fans regardless of who they root for or where they’re from.

But my biggest issue is with the Champions Classic, not Duke or the schools. Tickets to the general public didn’t go on sale until 29 days before the event. Hotel rooms in Indy were nearly all booked by the time tickets went on sale. How is someone supposed to plan a trip to a game when they’re unsure if they will have tickets? Once the tickets are on sale they sellout in 5-10 minutes, which tells me they aren’t putting too many tickets on sale to the general public. Assuming each school is given around 2,000 or 3,000 tickets that doesn’t leave too many for the general public. Then you take into consideration all the tickets that go to corporate sponsors and you realize odds are you won’t be able to buy a ticket for face value.

I’m being told that Michigan State did uphold their end of the deal and they have already mailed out their tickets. Good. I know a lot of UK fans went through MSU for tickets, too.

Meanwhile, CBS Sports Classic tickets for the game in late December vs. UNC have already been mailed out to fans. The Champions Classic could learn a thing or two from the ticketing system of the CBS Sports Classic.

[mobile_ad]

Article written by TJ Walker

18 Comments for Duke is cancelling ticket orders 11 days before the Champions Classic

1. eyebleedblue
    2:37 pm October 26, 2018 Permalink

1. Watching game at a bar.
    2. Watching a game at home.
    3. Watching at someone else’s home.
    4. Watching in person.

• Memphis UK Cat
      4:06 pm October 26, 2018 Permalink

I totally hate their system and pay high prices through brokers. I do have a hotel and have four us going to the game. It is totally worth it if you want to spend 500 a ticket.

2. Realme
    2:38 pm October 26, 2018 Permalink

That’s BS. They’re not an airline overbooking on purpose. They know exactly how many tickets they have to sell and exactly how many they have sold at any given time. If they want to guarantee their tickets go to their fans, they need to figure out a way to do that before they sell them.

3. Papaw
    2:47 pm October 26, 2018 Permalink

BBN always finds a way

4. Cokely53
    2:53 pm October 26, 2018 Permalink

MSU was the same way. It was a REQUEST for tickets people. I was telling people when Matt posted the site. Everyone kept saying they bought tickets but it was always just a request for tickets. No guarantees for anything.

5. ZRZynda
    2:57 pm October 26, 2018 Permalink

I got my tickets through the Duke Alumni program ????

6. You Can Call Me Cal
    2:58 pm October 26, 2018 Permalink

Look I hate Duke as much as the next guy, but y’all did something dishonest by trying to buy all the tickets from another school with a code you shouldn’t have had. And now it’s coming to bite you in the butt. Karma’s a b.

• Memphis UK Cat
      4:07 pm October 26, 2018 Permalink

I did it last year. Boo hoo. I love me some mrs TT for the post

• ukcamel
      5:57 pm October 26, 2018 Permalink

I wouldn’t call it dishonest, but agree that it’s pretty weak to complain that Duke did exactly what they said they would do (use Iron Duke priority). If you don’t want the uncertainty, buy a ticket instead of making a “request.”

What they really need to do for these games is find a way to sell a certain number of tickets for specific games. I’d much rather pay $250 to just see the Kentucky game than $500 to see both. They do this with student tickets for tournaments so it’s possible.

7. Skooms
    3:08 pm October 26, 2018 Permalink

Dishonesty? Karma’s a B? That’s what you’re coming with? LMAO, tell that to 90% of our politicians. Karma must turn a blind eye to them I guess, huh?

• You Can Call Me Cal
      3:43 pm October 26, 2018 Permalink

Why are you bringing politics into this? What a random comment!

• Bluebloodtoo
      4:15 pm October 26, 2018 Permalink

It’s true though….

8. Swizzle
    3:13 pm October 26, 2018 Permalink

Deal with douchebags and this is what happens.

9. kfarr788
    3:25 pm October 26, 2018 Permalink

I got my tickets through MSU the issue was tickets went on sale to public and you still didn’t know if you had tickets because it was just a request, but come on you know when you’ve reached your allotment it’s bs to cancel orders. When uk sold out of their allotment of away game tickets they took them off the site it’s not that hard. The address has a big factor let’s face it.

10. kfarr788
    3:27 pm October 26, 2018 Permalink

Btw my hotel is 10 miles from downtown I know for a fact you can still get a hotel within a 20 minute drive through ihg

11. bballdoc
    9:27 pm October 26, 2018 Permalink

I think a Kentucky return address on the ticket request does too make a difference. I’m a Duke grad and that wasn’t good enough to get tickets.

12. Alleykat16