Duke and Indiana Lost, What a Shame

@CBSSportsCBB

Most Mondays are not good.  Today is not one of those Mondays, thanks to college basketball.

The upstart Indiana Hoosiers played an absolute barn-burner at Assembly Hall.  Hosting perennial powerhouse Nebraska, Bobby Knight Dan Dakich Mike Davis Tom Crean Archie Miller’s top 25 team fought till the finish, but never led in a 66-51 loss to the Cornhuskers.

That was only the beginning of the fun.  At Cameron Indoor, the mojo was all on Syracuse’s side.  Duke began the game without Cam Reddish, lost Tre Jones a few minutes into the action and watched this Syracuse prayer get answered.

ESPN’s traveling Zion Williamson show put the star in the middle of the spotlight with a chance to give Duke the lead with 18.5 seconds to play.  He made the first free throw to tie the game, then missed the second.  Once the game got to overtime, Syracuse cruised to finish with a 95-91 victory.

The perfect cherry on top of the wild game — Jim Boeheim may or may not have gotten too excited on the sideline in the final minutes.

[mobile_ad]

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

61 Comments for Duke and Indiana Lost, What a Shame

1. bigbluebanana
    9:50 pm January 14, 2019 Permalink

Syracuse lost to Georgia tech. GT lost to Gardner Webb. Gardner Webb > dook

• StillBP
      9:55 pm January 14, 2019 Permalink

Would be funny if we hadn’t lost to Duke.

• mashburnfan1
      10:01 pm January 14, 2019 Permalink

Well said BP. Love how people think this is good. First dUKe was down 2 starters {basically}. We played dUKe at full strength {both teams} and it looked like jv against varsity. Now they lose without 2 starters and we try to make fun of them. Next game lets take away Hagans and Quickley or Hagans and Herro and see how we do against a horrible UGA team. We don’t want to know that answer.

• bigbluebanana
      10:13 pm January 14, 2019 Permalink

It’s funny to me any time dook loses. And if you think my comment in any way is saying we didn’t deserve the loss against dook, or that I legit thing GW is better, I just feel bad for you. It’s a sad, sad time in UK b-ball if #1 dook loses, and our fans can’t wait to jump on here and remind everyone that they beat us. Do you people enjoy anything?

• Smyrna_Cat
      10:29 pm January 14, 2019 Permalink

Any time Duke loses that is good. Stop your whining.

• StillBP
      6:49 am January 15, 2019 Permalink

I love a Duke loss but the original comment was just dumb and not funny since we lost to them too. Maybe you’ll make an actually funny joke next time.

• meeksfor3
      8:28 am January 15, 2019 Permalink

I thought it was a funny joke but some people have no sense of humor.

2. a21CATSfan
    9:54 pm January 14, 2019 Permalink

The only bad thing about Indiana losing is that UofL may be ranked by next week. CATS

• StillBP
      9:57 pm January 14, 2019 Permalink

I would rather a team we beat be in the rankings than one we don’t even play if that team is Indiana.

3. 4everUKblue
    9:55 pm January 14, 2019 Permalink

It’s definitely time to celebrate. I wonder if dUKe has a Bigolblue/combatmedic/slater among their fanbase. Even the number one team with the best talent loses. Fire K!

• mashburnfan1
      10:03 pm January 14, 2019 Permalink

alot of teams would lose to Cuse missing 2 starters. We were full strength and lost to bad Bama team. Take away 2 starters {any 2} and we lose to horrible A&M and Vandy.

• bigbluebanana
      10:16 pm January 14, 2019 Permalink

Mash, seriously, why are you on here defending dook in both your comments? This is something we’d expect from bigolblue, but I’m honestly a bit surprised to see this level of “that guy” from you.

• katmandue2you
      10:18 pm January 14, 2019 Permalink

Mashburn it says here you need to lighten up big guy. Hell, if it’s not ok for UK fans to enjoy any Duke loss then what gives. Look we lost to Duke by 30 something in the season opener. I can’t think of a less meaningless outcome in the big scheme of things. It’s certainly not indicative of where we will be relative to Duke or anyone else at years end. At this point we’ve lost 3 and they’ve lost 2. Chill

• 4everUKblue
      10:07 pm January 14, 2019 Permalink

Looks like you should join the dUKe fanbase, I personally hate them and their coach and I don’t give a damn how they lost. If not for pure luck the would’ve lost to FSU at full strength last weekend.

• 4everUKblue
      10:10 pm January 14, 2019 Permalink

Not to mention dUKe had the most talent top to bottom the last two seasons and how did that turn out, what kind of excuses you gonna make for those epic failures?

• bigblue2284
      10:20 pm January 14, 2019 Permalink

I’m sure the multiple. Hips helps ease Dukes pain. I would point out teams with super talent losing…

• henderblue
      10:45 pm January 14, 2019 Permalink

Mashburnfan wants to make excuses for Duke. Seriously? What kind of UK fan wants to make excuses for Duke? Must be a Duke troll. He’s definitely not a UK fan and in my opinion should be banned from this site. Has he ever had anything good to say about UK? I don’t remember anything.

• henderblue
      10:53 pm January 14, 2019 Permalink

And I love the fact that they got beat. What a great Monday..

• BigolBlue
      10:56 pm January 14, 2019 Permalink

Coach K owns cal lately….in everything

• henderblue
      11:04 pm January 14, 2019 Permalink

He should be fired. They lost…

• bigbluebanana
      11:21 pm January 14, 2019 Permalink

Why not just admit K turns you on bigolblue? Can’t you just enjoy a dook loss? Oh that’s right, you can’t because you’ve got to show up here and remind everyone Kentucky didn’t win by 50 last game. Guarantee, bet my life on it, that if Cal has dook’s talent this year, we wouldn’t lose at home to Syracuse. I can’t believe how you only ever have negative things to say. I hope you didn’t trick someone into reproducing with you, I’d hate to be your kid man, nothing is ever good enough. We could win it all this year, eating every team we play from this point on by an average of 100 points and you’d still show up and bitch because it wasn’t 150 points.

• BigolBlue
      12:25 pm January 15, 2019 Permalink

Thanks for making it personal again banana. Id also hate to be your kid because they prob are brought up to be a soft little cookie being taught that the world is perfect. Im sure your wife is the ultimate boss of the family also. You also roll over to everyone. You live a scared life as an accountant or computer salesman or programmer. Your wife is 30 lbs overweight but you tell her she is pretty while she eats double the calories she needs.

• catsarerunnin
      7:30 am January 15, 2019 Permalink

You own massive amounts of stupidity BigolBuffoon.

• Especially cheating BigolBlue.

I still in no way believe you are actually a UK fan, but I’ll consider the miniscule chance you are: if Cal won 3 more titles you’d complain because he only tied UCLA and didn’t pass them.

Now finally tell us: are you a UL fan or a Dookie?

4. friendsofcoal
    10:05 pm January 14, 2019 Permalink

Boeheim really pissed his pants!!??

• KYjellyRoll
      7:03 am January 15, 2019 Permalink

I’m not sure…I’d hope it wouldn’t be publicized if he did. That’s embarrassing man. I’m hoping he merely spilled his drink…

5. friendsofcoal
    10:08 pm January 14, 2019 Permalink

I wonder if that pic was taken when Zion came out of the locker room before the game started?

6. KentuckyCommenter
    10:19 pm January 14, 2019 Permalink

JUST IN: Coach K coached with mild back spasms this game. Truly remarkable he was even on the sideline. He might have to miss a few games just to get it checked out.

• BluemanGreen
      9:58 am January 15, 2019 Permalink

who cares?! I feel so sorry for his multi million dollar ass let me tell ya! Way to go Cuse! Duck Fuke!

7. bigbluebanana
    10:25 pm January 14, 2019 Permalink

Next week: Syracuse moves to #11 in the polls, dook stays at #1 because they’ll get a pass for a quality loss.

8. Smyrna_Cat
    10:28 pm January 14, 2019 Permalink

I have a sniffle. lol

9. CoachCat
    10:49 pm January 14, 2019 Permalink

Lol. What is wrong with this guy???? A Duke loss, starters or not, is like Christmas all over again.

10. BigolBlue
    10:55 pm January 14, 2019 Permalink

Lemme guess. This means uk can still win it all. Cant wait for ksr thats the first thing theyll say.

• bigbluebanana
      11:30 pm January 14, 2019 Permalink

There’s like 10 teams that COULD win it all. If you weren’t such a short-sighted endomorph, you’d understand that when KSR, or any of us say uk could win it all, that’s not the same as saying they will win it all. In no way do I think uk is the best team in college, none of us do. However, if they reach their potential, they could beat anyone in the country on a given night. Difference between you and most of the rest of us is we can’t wait until Kentucky wins anything so we can cheer and live our team, you can’t wait until they lose just so you can come on here and gloat about how we suck. Fans absolutely should vent their frustrations, but you’re no fan. Fans at least notice whatever good is happening, even if it’s just a little. Guarantee too that you wouldn’t say any of your crap to any player or coach’s face. As long as you e got your keyboard to hide behind, you see it as carte blanche to rip on the team.

• BigolBlue
      12:27 pm January 15, 2019 Permalink

Atleast I dont defend cal like hes my daughter. Thats why you arw cals daughter.

• 4everUKblue
      10:45 am January 15, 2019 Permalink

Banana you can’t reason with a plum stomp idiot and that’s what Bigoldumbass is.

11. I don’t care if all 5 starters are out. Any day Duke loses is a good day.

PS: I seriously hope “Boe-heme”, as Jim Rome calls him, spilled a drink there.

12. Wade
    12:02 am January 15, 2019 Permalink

If I was zion I’d hang up my nikes for the season. Coach k and duke ain’t worth it!

13. jahanc2uky
    12:34 am January 15, 2019 Permalink

WAIT A SECOND…. That picture of Jim is a fake right? If no, he should announce retirement. I mean urinating yourself in public, means it is time for retirement. NEVER ACCEPTABLE!

• Real George Clooney
      12:47 pm January 15, 2019 Permalink

So I’m not a fan of Boeheim but the dude is a prostate cancer survivor (incontinence is fairly common from this). I wouldn’t be surprised if it did actually happen.

14. jakew60
    6:07 am January 15, 2019 Permalink

Cam reddish is the best player on that team, not the most talented, not the best scorer but the best because he is vital to their success, and this loss proves that, I do believe that it will show again later in the year if he has bad games

15. Headhurts
    6:09 am January 15, 2019 Permalink

The dukie named jack white was at least 0-10 for three pointers and keeps shooting, had Cal coached that same game all haters would say he can’t coach, well with all that talent at home versus the cuse even with 2 guys out, unacceptable, FIRE COACH K NOW! Look familiar Cal haters?

16. Headhurts
    6:25 am January 15, 2019 Permalink

O yeah and should have lost to Florida st. With all their players,

17. CahillsCrossingNT
    6:41 am January 15, 2019 Permalink

This victory would feel hollow if I were a Syracuse fan since Reddish didn’t play and Jones for all practical purposes didn’t. If Duke beats Virginia on Saturday, and I think they will, they will be ranked number 1 again next week.

• StillBP
      6:53 am January 15, 2019 Permalink

Oh please, no victory is hollow, esp when you’re unranked and you beat the #1 team. Duke scraped by Saturday, then got beat at home, they don’t deserve to be #1.

• henderblue
      7:35 am January 15, 2019 Permalink

BP that is spot on!!

18. WatchutalkinboutWillis
    7:20 am January 15, 2019 Permalink

Duke lost being down starters is kinda the point! There team is only as good as Zion, Barrett, and Reddish are. If they lose any of them for any amount of time they are hurting. That will probably be their downfall this season. They are not a deep team.

• DukeFan1
      10:25 am January 15, 2019 Permalink

While that is true to an extent, I think there’s a HUGE difference between losing two starters and losing them last minute (in Tre’s case after the game started). They didn’t have time to game plan with the lineup that was playing.

19. Sentient Third Eye
    8:21 am January 15, 2019 Permalink

What this does is expose Duke’s weakness: lack of depth. Two guys hurt and they struggle with a bad opponent. What happens in a tourney game that’s officiated tightly? All it takes is one uptight official calling every contact to defeat them.

20. KYjellyRoll
    8:56 am January 15, 2019 Permalink

And FSU which played duke to the end lost to Pitt

21. KYjellyRoll
    8:59 am January 15, 2019 Permalink

Get jones in foul trouble. They don’t have a star backup PG like we do

22. W F Reserve
    9:31 am January 15, 2019 Permalink

Ron Groover, the box headed ref, made up for at least one of the Duke players being out. He tried to give the game to them.

23. DukeFan1
    10:21 am January 15, 2019 Permalink

Probably not the ideal place to post this but I am curious. Where do you guys think Duke should rank if they beat UVA Sat?

• CaliparisCats
      10:45 am January 15, 2019 Permalink

Probably around the three spot even with a win against UVA. Losing at home against a unranked team is just inexcusable no matter who is out.

• DukeFan1
      10:47 am January 15, 2019 Permalink

Yeah, I don’t necessarily disagree.

24. 4everUKblue
    10:42 am January 15, 2019 Permalink

dUKe lost on it’s home court to an unranked team with hands down the two best players in the country and they couldn’t get the W. Yes they were down two starters, sh!t happens. We lost WCS when we played against UConn and Poythress in 2015. Did you make excuses for us then Mashburn? The very idea of a UK fan using Mashburn’s name making excuses for dUKe is unforgivable.

25. Jiminy Crickets
    11:20 am January 15, 2019 Permalink

Beating teams or losing, Ive been noticing a real trend with Duke. They do not rebound well, and defensively they break down. To beat Duke you have to outscore them, because they’re gonna score points, but they allow teams to score easily too. I think the ball hog, highlight, I’m getting mine, is starting to show.

26. Kentuckybbnfan01
    11:50 am January 15, 2019 Permalink

Duke didn’t miss a shot against good for cuse