Photo: Leon Bennett/Getty Images

During Kentucky’s loss to Texas A&M on Saturday afternoon, Aggie guard Duane Wilson fell to the ground in tears, and eventually had to be helped off the floor.

Wilson had been playing a few weeks with a partially-torn ACL, and when he grabbed that left knee during the game, it didn’t look good.

Today, the Aggie guard announced that his collegiate career is over.

Aggie guard JJ Caldwell was dismissed from the team and fellow backup guard Jay Jay Chandler was also suspended indefinitely, meaning A&M will be down three scholarship players likely for the remainder of the season.

Wilson’s status became a topic of debate following the injury by both commentators and fans. His toughness was on full display, and it was certainly admirable to see someone put it all on the line for his team. Our Kentucky team has seen some major issues on the effort end, especially as of late, so Wilson’s passion for the game certainly gave John Calipari some pregame speech material going forward.

That being said, playing on a partially torn ACL had to have been horrible for his long-term health, and that only worsened when he suffered the further injury on Saturday. How did team doctors pass him and allow him to risk maximum damage? How did the coaching staff see him struggling and in pain and still let him play? I know college sports are important, especially for a five-year senior like Wilson, but there’s now a chance he walks with significant pain for the rest of his life.

I know Wilson said his “college” career is over and said he’d be back, but there’s now a chance he is never able to make money by playing professionally overseas. Were the few extra games worth it?

What do you guys think? Admirable passion by Wilson or stupidity by the Texas A&M staff?

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

15 Comments for Duane Wilson, player with partially torn ACL for Texas A&M, announces end of college career

1. jbrockman50
    10:17 pm February 12, 2018 Permalink

Extremely stupid for A&M to allow him to play, especially when they were up on us by 20 points when he re-aggravated his injury even more.

2. Peas and Carrots
    10:28 pm February 12, 2018 Permalink

I admire his toughness and desire to be on the court, but it was stupid on the coaching staff and team doctors to let him play. I hope he had some kind of insurance as its likely he’s never able to play professionally, even over seas.

3. ukbradstith
    10:49 pm February 12, 2018 Permalink

Partially torn isn’t torn. I have a partially torn rotator cuff and I’m no more likely to suffer an injury than anyone else. They’ll do surgery and he’ll be good as new, just like they would have done in the off season anyway.

4. Swizzle
    10:55 pm February 12, 2018 Permalink

Why can’t he have surgery and play over seas

• BBNDan7
      1:17 pm February 13, 2018 Permalink

I don’t think you understand the human body

• ready4nineNOW
      2:45 pm February 13, 2018 Permalink

BBNDan, i don’t think YOU understand medicine. He will have surgery. If he is good enough he can play anywhere. Players come back all the time from a torn ACL.

5. bigbluenation90
    11:34 pm February 12, 2018 Permalink

I admire his toughness as a player. But as a Kentucky fan this guy played valuable minutes against us and they still won! Next a team might roll Patches O’Houlihan out therecand beat us smh

6. mikeintn
    12:29 am February 13, 2018 Permalink

I was watching it and could not believe that they was letting him play. I just went through about the same thing, I was told my acl was partially torn and kept playing, after about three times of hitting the floor after it give out, I had to have acl replaced and meniscus repaired last March. I’m back to playing now but it sure don’t feel like new. I’m sure I done more damage after the last time I went down [ couldn’t walk on it ]. It just made my knee hurt watching him lol. Just from my experience I would suggest having one replaced before you do more damage, wish I did anyway.

7. Kevin C
    5:42 am February 13, 2018 Permalink

If Cal did this, he’d be crucified by the media and the fans.

8. jduff32
    7:49 am February 13, 2018 Permalink

The guy wanted to play. He might, and emphasize the word MIGHT, regret it someday. 5th year senior, against Kentucky at home, and they win. He knew the risk, so did everyone. Pretty bad ass for him to do that. He’s not going pro, so why not play? His life is definitely not over.

9. UK Fan In Nashville
    2:11 pm February 13, 2018 Permalink

Sure are a lot of Doctors in the comments. Might as well play on it as long as the doctors say it’s ok. What I’ve always been told is you cannot do anything to fix a partially torn ligament. It will be that way forever or until you fully tear it. You can’t even do surgery on it until it’s fully torn.