Dorothy the Dude’s Tuesday Morning Wakeup

The guys are somewhere in New Mexico, but before we move on to their next adventure, we have to give credit where credit is due. During their stop at Dorothy’s house from “The Wizard of Oz” in Liberal, Kansas, Shannon the Dude proved he was the ultimate sport, putting on a Dorothy costume under immense peer pressure.

Shannon didn’t just wear the costume, he rocked it, gamely going out to the street and waving at locals in his wig, dress, and ruby red shoes:

See, a great pair of heels can make anyone a little sassy. Or slutty. Also, is it wrong that I’m jealous of Shannon’s legs?

Meanwhile, back in the Bluegrass, there’s plenty happening. Let’s go over the agenda.

The team leaves for California

It’s a quick turn around for the Cats, who will leave for Los Angeles today to prepare for Thursday’s matchup against UCLA at Pauley Pavilion. The biggest question for anyone who watched last night’s game is “Will Tyler Ulis play?”. Cal held Ulis out of last night’s game to make sure he’s 100% for UCLA, and after the game, gave this update.

“I doubt if he practices tomorrow. We’re going to travel and practice out in L.A. But I would tell you, he probably needs to practice the next day, Wednesday, before we play on Thursday to see if he can go. If he can’t go, we’ll go as is. We’ll play with what we have.”

Here’s hoping Ulis is able to play Thursday, because when he’s not on the floor, I look like this:

grumpysantacat

Don’t expect a blowout like last year

I doubt many of us expect Kentucky to take UCLA to the woodshed like last season, when the Cats famously held the Bruins to seven points at the half. John Calipari said don’t count on that happening this time around.

“Last year was an outlier. I had a ridiculous team. And they would go into a game like that to smoke somebody, like they did Kansas. They would go in with that mentality. This team is, we don’t have that mentality.”

If Tyler plays, I’ll settle for a Duke-esque beatdown.

Meanwhile, the football coaches are recruiting

Mark Stoops, Vince Marrow, DJ Eliot, and Shannon Dawson made the rounds yesterday to check in on their 2016 commits to make sure they’re still all in after a disappointing season. Stoops, Dawson, and Marrow saw QB commit Gunnar Hoak:

And Dakota Holtzclaw:

…while Eliot and Derrick Ansley stayed in Lexington to see Davonte Robinson:

@davonterealdeal

Does this mean Eliot and Dawson are here to stay? Maybe. Maybe not. Hopefully we’ll find out more soon.

We tape the final KSR Football Podcast tonight

And man, it’s going to be a doozy. After the train wreck that was this season, we’ve all got some things to get off our chests, and nothing will be off limits. Tweet us your questions and we’ll attempt to answer them. I’ll be Skyping in from Nashville, but I’m prepared to use the Adele CD if things get too tense. It worked wonderfully at Thanksgiving.

Kyvin Goodin-Rogers is transferring

Lost in the pregame shuffle last night was the news that Kyvin Goodin-Rogers will leave the UK Hoops program, the fourth player in six weeks to do so. Matthew Mitchell’s squad is currently 6-0 and ranked 11th in the nation, so the trend is baffling. With Ryan on the road trip, Coach Mitchell stepped in to handle the halftime entertainment at Rupp Arena last night and brought his team with him, so at least they’re presenting an united front. Still, what in the world is happening with UK Hoops?

Today’s show will be live from Tucumcari, New Mexico

Which will probably be the only time we’ll ever say that. Get some work done over the next hour so you can give Matt, Ryan, Drew, and Shannon your full attention.

15 Comments for Dorothy the Dude’s Tuesday Morning Wakeup

1. bigbluefaithful
    9:14 am December 1, 2015 Permalink

I am totally fine if Ulis doesn’t play Thursday. UCLA is not worth the risk of furthering his injury.

• @BallBlog_Chad
      9:51 am December 1, 2015 Permalink

just need our bigs to be ready for Tony Parker, that is a big, strong dude and he’s a 22 year old senior … I can’t stand our big guys getting 2 quick fouls because they can’t get position

2. dean winchester
    9:35 am December 1, 2015 Permalink

I really can’t unsee that pic….my eyes are in pain….not picking on “dude”, just saying….

3. RealCatsFan
    9:36 am December 1, 2015 Permalink

Tyler, that picture is disturbing on so many different levels…

4. J-Dub421
    10:00 am December 1, 2015 Permalink

It would have been funnier if it had been Drew and his beard in the Dorothy costume.

• RealCatsFan
      10:21 am December 1, 2015 Permalink

His legs are probably too hairy.

5. Catsby80
    10:04 am December 1, 2015 Permalink

I really hope Stoops can keep this recruiting class together. It would be a shame to lose some of those guys after the way the season ended… Also, I hope Ulis can play Thursday. Last night was a serious reminder of how important Tyler is to the team’s success. Looking forward to that game big time!

• @BallBlog_Chad
      10:25 am December 1, 2015 Permalink

I think just as much as keeping this 2016 class together (which sounds promising) we need to worry about more transfers (appear to be more rumblings there)

6. Mathlete
    10:05 am December 1, 2015 Permalink

Is it me, or is the Dorothy costume the only time Shannon has smiled in a picture since the road trip started?

7. RealCatsFan
    10:20 am December 1, 2015 Permalink

I am expecting an extremely hostile environment at UCLA. They are probably still pretty butt hurt over the ass-whoopin we laid on them last year, and wanting revenge. This will be a good test for a young team, with or without Ulis.

• J-Dub421
      10:28 am December 1, 2015 Permalink

All of us UK fans who were in the Yum Center for the early rounds on the NCAA tournament last season, didn’t exactly cheer for UCLA. Their fans were not super happy we were cheering for their opponents…

• symphonist41169
      11:14 am December 1, 2015 Permalink

I was there also and actually had a UCLA fan ask me why I was cheering for the other team, to which I replied their coach was as big a punk at IU back in the day as his son appears to be now. He didn’t disagree…

8. 2thepoint
    11:57 am December 1, 2015 Permalink

That brings back memories. I remember the initial article about Alford saying he was a ‘hot dog’. That was certainly true.

9. LeitchfieldAlex
    12:03 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

Shannon looks a lot like a young Peter Fonda not Dorothy.

10. Ken Grizzle
    5:06 pm December 1, 2015 Permalink

I hope on your journey to Tucumcari, by way of Kansas, you made a stop at Adolph Rupp’s hometown– Halstad, Ks.