Don’t count on seeing Jemarl Baker this season

You know what Kentucky could use right now? A three-point shooter. Unfortunately, it sounds like Jemarl Baker won’t see the floor this season. After the game, John Calipari was asked about Baker, who has been recovering from knee surgery, and gave this discouraging update.

“I don’t think he’s close. So, I don’t think there’s — he hasn’t even — I haven’t even seen him jump at all yet, so I don’t think he’s close. Tai [Wynyard], I think his back is still bothering him.”

At the very least, Jarred Vanderbilt and Quade Green were able to play tonight, giving Kentucky its most complete roster in weeks.

“The good news right now, I’ve got a full roster. So if you are really not giving it this game, I can play somebody else. So there’s not arguments on the bench, no back and forth. You don’t have to. Out? Next. We had a full roster.”

Well, at least there is that.

[mobile_ad]

12 Comments for Don’t count on seeing Jemarl Baker this season

1. RealCatsFan
    11:25 pm January 20, 2018 Permalink

Just all kinds of cheery news tonight, isn’t there?

2. kbo24
    11:36 pm January 20, 2018 Permalink

Who?

3. Catlogic15
    11:49 pm January 20, 2018 Permalink

Nice that Quade came back just in time to brick a three that hit behind the backboard when the game was on the line.

4. mrknowitall1981
    11:59 pm January 20, 2018 Permalink

We take such good shots. I count 3 shots that hit the side of the backboard tonight. Lol

5. mrknowitall1981
    12:02 am January 21, 2018 Permalink

Love Vanderbilt’s versatility but his lack of efficiency on the offensive end doesn’t really help this team. This team can’t score the basketball on a consistent basis.

6. Lip Man 1
    12:13 am January 21, 2018 Permalink

The entire handling of Baker’s situation has been shrouded in mystery and bizarreness. I understand the HEPA laws but UK was acting like the CIA guarding a national secret. Same with Vanderbilt.

That I don’t understand. There can be a balance here and educate the media / fan base on an injured player’s status. Saying nothing, shroud it in secrecy and you get rumors and more misinformation.

You need to stay ahead of these things. Just poor judgment in this regard in my opinion.

• RealCatsFan
      12:20 am January 21, 2018 Permalink

For the record, it’s HIPAA. HEPA refers to filtration, not medical records. I do agree that more information would help cut down on rumors and misinformation, but they probably have their reasons for not releasing more. You covered one of them, and there may be reasons related to the coaching staff and family wishes.

• Rembrandt
      3:50 am January 21, 2018 Permalink

There is no mystery. Baker has a knee injury and hasn’t practiced. What more does anyone need to know? Hat off to Cal for leaving him out of it.

• jrdh13
      10:47 am January 21, 2018 Permalink

Or is it the fact we keep injuries close to the vest to protect players and their nba dreams

7. 3 fan
    9:00 am January 21, 2018 Permalink

Baker will never play at UK. Three guards coming in and probably 2 left over from this year. He will transfer

8. classof68
    10:21 am January 21, 2018 Permalink

This falls under the “so what category.” Another useless post to fill space on the website. As one poster said: “who?”