Did Mike Anderson trip Kevin Knox?

Jim Brown-USA TODAY Sports

Around the 10:20 mark in the first half of last night’s game, Kevin Knox got his feet tangled up with Arkansas head coach Mike Anderson on a fast break. It tripped Knox up, but was it intentional?

It’s hard to tell looking at the film.

I lean unintentional, but it’s close.

Article written by Drew Franklin

29 Comments for Did Mike Anderson trip Kevin Knox?

1. Shagaris Sock Puppet
    10:33 am February 21, 2018 Permalink

That was unintentional. You could see him take a step back before Knox tripped so he was trying to back up last second.

2. UKLugo
    10:36 am February 21, 2018 Permalink

Not on purpose. No.

3. david8577
    10:37 am February 21, 2018 Permalink

Mike Anderson seems like the type of guy who would do that intentionally. Regardless, it should have been a technical.

4. LouisaCatFan
    10:37 am February 21, 2018 Permalink

Doesn’t matter what his mind set was Anderson shouldn’t have been on the court period. Knox is clearly in bounds something should have been called.

• LouisaCatFan
      10:40 am February 21, 2018 Permalink

If that wasn’t bad enough how about the elbow under PJ chin by number 5.

• ukjaybrat
      11:02 am February 21, 2018 Permalink

This !

he shouldn’t have been on the court anyway. What if Knox got hurt on that play? That’s a player safety issue and you can’t blame Knox for running too close to the sideline. that’s not a thing. It was absolutely Anderson’s fault the contact happened and it happened because he was breaking a rule : don’t be on the court. should have been a foul whether it was intentional or not. plain and simple

5. Duff86
    10:38 am February 21, 2018 Permalink

Mike’s a crafty guy. He wants you to think it’s unintentional by making it look unintentional. Don’t be fooled by his antics. It was on purpose.

6. Buffalo Cat
    10:46 am February 21, 2018 Permalink

Intentional or not, that has to be a technical foul. He is clearly on the floor, and coming in contact with a player.

7. ClutchCargo
    10:49 am February 21, 2018 Permalink

Not intentional. But the fact that he was on the floor should matter just as much. No different than when Mike Tomlin “unintentionally” interfered with a play when he was on the field a few years ago.

8. struggler
    10:55 am February 21, 2018 Permalink

Regardless – Get off the floor – these coaches – including Cal – are getting worse and worse about it. Someone is going to get smashed soon and I just don’t want to see a player snap a leg doing it. The sideline is too tight in many of these places anyway – intentionally – especially for the size that these guys are. Personally I think the players should get a bit more space to play in – and this just illustrates it.

• Aar
      2:47 pm February 21, 2018 Permalink

Generally agree but coaches today are nothing. Look at tape from almost any late 1980s-early 1990s game. To name a few Massimino or Carlesimo. I wish I could hold myself back because I don’t want to bring up sore topics but also look at Pitino while at UK or Bobby Knight.

9. davis2319
    10:59 am February 21, 2018 Permalink

Did not look intentional, but needs to be called a technical foul regardless of intent.

10. KYjellyRoll
    11:00 am February 21, 2018 Permalink

Should not have been on court period.

11. J-Dub421
    11:02 am February 21, 2018 Permalink

I think it was unintentional, but regardless he was out on the floor too far and came into contact with an opposing player. Anderson should have gotten a warning from the refs at minimum, and probably should have gotten a technical.

12. Smyrna_Cat
    11:14 am February 21, 2018 Permalink

Is there a way to turn off the videos that automatically play?

• ukbradstith
      11:18 am February 21, 2018 Permalink

Adblock is its on your desktop…otherwise keep your phone/computer on silent unless you need to hear something.

13. 96ChampionBestTeamEver
    11:16 am February 21, 2018 Permalink

It pains me to say it but it looks unintentional. Anderson is the only coach in the SEC I don’t care for, I think he plays dirty. But in this case he at least made it look unintentional.

14. PkP_UofK89
    11:24 am February 21, 2018 Permalink

Probably not, but considering some of the crap he and his players have pulled over the years it’s certainly not out of the question.

15. Booby Petrino
    11:32 am February 21, 2018 Permalink

someone should reach out to an expert tripper like Grayson Allen and see what he thinks.

16. Alleykat16
    11:42 am February 21, 2018 Permalink

Unintentional but they got to make that call but the way they were calling the game last night I wouldn’t have thought they make the call. Not saying they were making calls against us but they made some bad call against us and them too

17. BluemanGreen
    11:50 am February 21, 2018 Permalink

How was this not called a T? The refs last night were absolutely atrocious. No wonder the hawgs were 14-1 at home going into that. LOVE how we played through all the adversity of crazy bs 3s falling & refs letting players slam us to the ground…and STILL KICKED THEIR ASSES. Arkansas was ready to go hide in the locker room with 3 mins left! BEAUTIFUL performance by our young team. Way to go boys!

18. JMFATZ47
    11:52 am February 21, 2018 Permalink

Wouldn’t surprise me. He pulled some nasty stunts last year vs. UK as well. On top of that, he is a racist

• Mathlete
      12:05 pm February 21, 2018 Permalink

“it’s just the Cats and the Hawgs!”

19. jonthes
    12:04 pm February 21, 2018 Permalink

Actually it was obvious. Should have been a technical.

20. runningunnin.454
    12:45 pm February 21, 2018 Permalink

That should have been a T. Reminded me of Tom Crean in that little arena in Bloomington. Many times, players and refs actually stepped around Crean when he was out on the floor. They should have to move some seats behind the bench out of there.
    This is just one of those things refs call randomly…like against Cal and Massiello.

21. GeorgiaBlue
    2:19 pm February 21, 2018 Permalink

Be glad it was a no-call. If that officiating crew called anything it would have been a technical on Kevin for kicking the coach.

22. Aar
    3:02 pm February 21, 2018 Permalink

I will never be confused with a member of the Mike Anderson Fan Cluib. Quite the opposite. I don’t like coaches who intentionally “junk up” the game because they know it is the only way to give their lesser talented team a chance (for example, my opinion of Frank Martin took a shot this year). I also don’t like coaches who disrespect themselves and their programs to the point that they will not pause to say “hi” during the post-game handshake. I also suspect that the dirty crap that Arkansas players did to Monk, Fox and Hawkins last season was on him. I’m not saying in any way that he called those shots but I think he got them in a mindset that at least allowed those things to happen.

Anyway, all of the above is to say that I wouldn’t put it past him to trip a player. This clip, however, looks completely unintentional to me. Even if if it happened on the road I doubt it would have been called a technical. By the books, it could have been a T but any contact was just incidental and Knox stumbled, he didn’t fall on his chin and it didn’t impact the possession.