Did Marcus Lee turn down guaranteed NBA deal?

The Marcus Lee situation is becoming more and more puzzling, especially with these recent comments from Jeff Goodman to a Louisville radio station.

Goodman told Jason Anderson of ESPN680 that Lee had guaranteed NBA money when he made his decision to return to school and transfer out of Kentucky. It’s unlikely Lee would’ve actually been on an NBA roster next season, but he would’ve been looking at around $500,000 and a spot in the D-League, if what Goodman is saying is correct.

“I was told there were some teams at the end, at the 11th hour, that before he decided to pull back, that were going to guarantee him a guaranteed contract,” Goodman said. “Maybe not multi-year, but certainly a guaranteed one-year deal on the table from an NBA team, and he turned that down.”

Goodman also said he thinks Lee made a mistake by going to Kentucky in the first place, knowing he would be recruited over.

As for returning to school and transferring, Goodman has no idea why Lee turned down guaranteed money, but understands the transfer is to get touches within an offense, which Lee didn’t believe would happen back in Lexington.

Hear it all here.

No one is closer to the Lee situation than Goodman, for some reason.

Article written by Drew Franklin

12 Comments for Did Marcus Lee turn down guaranteed NBA deal?

1. Booby Petrino
    8:29 pm June 2, 2016 Permalink

This can’t be true. We all know he left UK because Cal pushed him out because he wasn’t good enough to go to the NBA. That’s what all the Louisville trolls kept saying, so I’m sure they were correct. *sarcasm *

• lexfan
      10:10 pm June 2, 2016 Permalink

He wasn’t pushed out. He was just not made a better player than when he arrived. He gave 3 years to Cal and regressed. Before you all get defensive, tell me what this former top 20 player did better before his arrival to Cal. 3 years under Cal and he is called “the worst player at the combine”. No post up moves. No jump shot. No nothing. Where did Cal help or make him better?

• Ricky
      11:04 pm June 2, 2016 Permalink

Marcus is the exception to the rule. Nearly every other big man to come through the program has maintained their high ranking or improved significantly. You can’t pin Lee’s failures on Cal without also giving him credit for Harrelson, Stein, and the 10+ other big men that got drafted. You can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make him drink.

2. Catlogic15
    8:44 pm June 2, 2016 Permalink

And we started trusting Goodman when?…………………

3. david8577
    8:50 pm June 2, 2016 Permalink

Goodman, time to find a new story. Goodman’s boss has to be wondering how he has milked a month’s salary out of a guy whose ceiling is the D league.

4. E Cat
    9:03 pm June 2, 2016 Permalink

Who was recruited ahead of him on this year’s team? Marcus could have averaged 35 minutes a game if he could have stayed out of foul trouble and produced. Not ripping him as he gave effort and a great teammate, he just didn’t have a breakout season. Thought he played well early in year, and then things went south later in season.

Yes, Lyles and Towns were better talents, but at UK, pretty much everyone can be “recruited over” unless you are Anthony Davis or John Wall.

• lexfan
      10:29 pm June 2, 2016 Permalink

Marcus was “turrible” and Lyles and Towns were not on last years team. Skal was “turrible too early”, and Lee still showed nothing.

5. ukbradstith
    10:15 pm June 2, 2016 Permalink

Absolutely no way this is true.

6. inside info2
    10:38 pm June 2, 2016 Permalink

This can’t be true. More than likely Lee’s family or handlers trying to save face. It he was going to be drafted he was going to go. I can’t believe Goodman printed this.

• Al B. Frank
      10:34 am June 3, 2016 Permalink

I don’t think he printed it. According to this article, he just said it on the radio. Maybe he posted it online somewhere, but as for print… probably not.

7. StuckinLville
    11:25 pm June 2, 2016 Permalink

If true, I cant say that I blame Lee. You go hoping to play several years, not a one year contract. And it’s not a matter of Lee being recruited over, it’s a matter of little progression because the same can be said for WCS, but he got better and better.

8. DHoward
    11:26 am June 3, 2016 Permalink

I don’t believe what Goodman is saying either, especially in light of how adamant Lee was about going to the NBA and possibly playing in the NBA’s Development League if necessary. I am somewhat perplexed though why Lee didn’t improve any better than he did. Knowing that a high caliber class would be coming in each year and having decided to stick around for as long as he did, it appears he needed extra work to improve and develop. What do players do in the off season to help themselves improve their game? Are the players able to work with a strength coach to add bulk if needed (Lee needs a little more), and are they able to work with a position coach to help with low post moves plus add an addition of a mid range jumper? Yes, I do believe it is the responsibility of the coach to develop his players; however, I also believe the player has culpability in his development as well. Lee decided in his senior year to do something about his situation when I believe he should have done something sooner. Don’t get me wrong here, I believe Lee is a wonderful young man, and am grateful for what he has done at and for UK. I think more strength, workouts for better post moves, and more aggressive play would have helped his game more. I wish him much success in his future.