Diallo is Done Talking Back to Coach Cal

After spending the 2017 spring semester with the Kentucky basketball team, Hamidou Diallo was supposed to be this team’s vocal leader.  He’s been vocal on the bench, but not to his teammates.

Last week at South Carolina, Diallo voiced his displeasure to Coach Cal on the sideline after he was subbed out of the game.  After going back and forth, Calipari and Diallo have reached an understanding.

“That’s just something that can’t happen. That’s something that’s been addressed,” Diallo said today. “Coming from me as a leader, I just gotta do better at that and I gotta know that coming into every game I can’t be talking back to my coach on the bench.”

“These guys, this is all new for all of them. It’s all new, and it’s hard to accept responsibility,” said Calipari.  “We’ve got a young team that’s learning. They’re trying to figure this out and figure out who they are. It’s all part of it.”

Calipari has never gotten his feelings hurt when a player felt froggy on the bench. Diallo is not the first, nor will he be the last.  Now that it’s happened, Diallo must use this lesson to mature as a basketball player and a team leader.

“It’s a growing process,” Diallo said.  “I’m trying to do what the team needs me to do to get wins every night and that takes sacrifices on my game, but that’s what I did when I committed to come here. So I know that’s what I’m going to have to do. I’m going to have to keep digging in and keep getting better each and every day and just keep trying to play hard.”

[mobile_ad]

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

26 Comments for Diallo is Done Talking Back to Coach Cal

1. 502CodeRed
    4:56 pm January 26, 2018 Permalink

Maybe Cal cant understand him? He is a one and done who has been rushed through school to get to the league. Just saying.

• 4everUKblue
      5:24 pm January 26, 2018 Permalink

UofLittlebrothel players weren’t hard for Rick, they knew hooker, booty and $100K. Pretty simple.

• BBNDan7
      6:44 pm January 26, 2018 Permalink

Yeah that made sense

2. 502CodeRed
    5:00 pm January 26, 2018 Permalink

I also wish the PC edited “quotes” would stop. Interview the kid in person and see if that’s the exact words he says. Just stop with this BS.

• 4everUKblue
      5:31 pm January 26, 2018 Permalink

Hear that? That’s the sound of the UofLittleBrother chumpionship banner coming down.

• runningunnin.454
      5:44 pm January 26, 2018 Permalink

They will forever be CHUMPIONS.

• 502CodeRed
      7:40 pm January 26, 2018 Permalink

4ever – OMG How will I ever sleep tonight? LOL

• cats646
      10:08 pm January 26, 2018 Permalink

Code red said stop the BS?! Can anyone else see the irony here? No one talks more BS than you code

• 4everUKblue
      3:35 pm January 27, 2018 Permalink

CodeRedNeck….Probably in the fetal position while singing hold me closer tiny dancer…

3. Han
    5:02 pm January 26, 2018 Permalink

FYI, twitter reports about Izzo and Dantonio to retire/resign soon.

4. Ridge Runner
    5:05 pm January 26, 2018 Permalink

Mature statement, Hami

5. tree_gardener
    5:26 pm January 26, 2018 Permalink

The tweak is hami not talking back to cal. Just sayin.

• Rabbi Li
      2:00 am January 27, 2018 Permalink

It could make the difference of us seeing the Final Four. There is no doubt about it.

It would be sad to see such talent remain uncoachable.

6. UKfan4TwoDecades
    5:36 pm January 26, 2018 Permalink

This will be the first away game I have been able to travel to and watch live. Man, it’s going to be a hard game but I have confidence BBN will be out in force. I hope that Kentucky players step it up in every aspect of the game (i.e. lack of turnovers, defense, rebounding, 3 point shooting, etc,). If they do that, individually and collectively, then the chips can fall where they may.
    Prior to reading this story, kudos to everyone @ KSR, I wasn’ t aware of Hami talking back to Coach Cal which is unacceptable. The kid has talent and I’m sure he has questioned why he returned to UK as he probably would have been taken in the NBA first round last year and signed for millions. However, watching him this year I think another year at UK would benefit him greatly. Probably never going to happen.
    Looking forward to reading the comments tomorrow, on this site, after I return from the game. So many of you make good points – state your opinions – are passionate about UK – and some of the comments/replies are hilarious. Keep it up.
    Take care.

• UKfan4TwoDecades
      5:39 pm January 26, 2018 Permalink

*** Grammatical error alert – I meant to say watch live in a few years NOT watch live

7. Bull Filmer
    5:44 pm January 26, 2018 Permalink

I don’t know why I love BALL like I do
    All the changes you put me through
    Take my money, my cigarettes
    I haven’t seen the worst of it yet
    I want to know that you’ll tell me
    I love to stay
    Take me to the Woodshed, drop me on the bench
    Take me to the Woodshed, set me by the water boy
    Squashing me down, squashing me down

I don’t know why you treat me so bad
    Think of all the things we could have had
    Ball is an ocean that I can’t forget
    We go beyond sweet sixteen you won’t regret.

I want to know that you’ll tell me
    I love to stay
    Take me to the Woodshed, drop me on the bench
    Push me in the Woodshed, set me by the water boy
    Quashing me down, quashing me

Hug me, berate me, push me, “great me”
    Till I can’t, till I can’t, till I can’t take no more of it
    Take me to the woodshed, set me on the bench
    Push me into the woodshed, set me by water boy
    Quashing me down, quashing me down

I don’t know why I love CAL like I do
    All the troubles he put me through
    Sixteen teams – there on my wall
    And here am I the biggest fool of them all

I want to know that you’ll tell me
    I love to stay
    Take me to the woodshed and drop me on the bench
    Take me to the woodshed – douse me with holy water
    Washing me down, washing me down.

Under the influence of Talking Heads

• 502CodeRed
      7:48 pm January 26, 2018 Permalink

Only an idiot would take the time to compose this nonsense. Get a life,dude.

• Bobbum Man
      8:08 pm January 26, 2018 Permalink

Says the guy who spends every day trolling a UK site as a UL fan lolol

• UKfan4TwoDecades
      8:57 pm January 26, 2018 Permalink

This episode of ABSOLUTELY RANDOM is brought to you by Bull Filmer

• cats646
      10:13 pm January 26, 2018 Permalink

Code red says get a life. More irony??. You can’t make this stuff up. Well unless your a Louisville fan maybe. They seem to make stuff up in there head all of the time. Louisville athletics ?

8. Rabbi Li
    2:03 am January 27, 2018 Permalink

Good awareness Hamidou… regardless of how it came to be.

Let Calipari get in there, into your heart, mind, & soul. He’ll help you be the best version of yourself, for this team, & for the future.