Diallo backed out of his Wednesday workout with the Knicks

SOUND THE HAMIDOU DIALLO UPDATE ALARM!

According to Ian Begley of ESPN NY fame, Hamidou Diallo pulled out of his workout with the New York Knicks today. He was scheduled to participate in a workout with several other NBA hopefuls, including Bam Adebayo, but decided the workout was unnecessary, for whatever reason.

So is that good news for Kentucky? To me, it sounds like good news for Kentucky. Debate amongst yourselves what it means, but we’ll know one way or another before the clock strikes midnight.

By the way, I’ve been meaning to ask you… Is this the most exhausting story ever?

Article written by Drew Franklin

71 Comments for Diallo backed out of his Wednesday workout with the Knicks

1. bakju keha
    5:14 pm May 24, 2017 Permalink

yes, yes it is.

2. justaguyinthebackrow
    5:15 pm May 24, 2017 Permalink

If he knows, then what is the wait? Is there anything still in the mix that he’s waiting on? Maybe it’s just not that urgent to him to let everyone else know.

I wish him luck either way, I just want to know!

3. Wilfred Smith
    5:17 pm May 24, 2017 Permalink

Patterson recruitment lasted 30 years.

We watched a door in Memphis for how long?

This is nothing.

4. BBNDan7
    5:18 pm May 24, 2017 Permalink

Marques Bolden was worse

5. stl_cat
    5:18 pm May 24, 2017 Permalink

I’d say the Wiggins recruitment was still more exhausting than this…but it’s close

6. Bluebloodtoo
    5:19 pm May 24, 2017 Permalink

The only thing exhausting about this story is dealing with the people who took offense to his decision to test the NBA waters. I never really knew Diallo as a UK player because he never took the floor. I didn’t have much invested in his decision.

7. JTHinton
    5:19 pm May 24, 2017 Permalink

Ya just hope that this guy is worth it. I know he’s extremely talented but he’s still a knee injury away from not being the lottery pick that he should be…

• ukkatzfan
      7:30 pm May 24, 2017 Permalink

Wouldn’t that be every player that ever played for anybody?

8. Kyreds
    5:20 pm May 24, 2017 Permalink

I think he comes back! Give anybody a chance for 1million and they would have to take a look! I think he should comeback he owes UK that much.

• 4everblue
      5:22 pm May 24, 2017 Permalink

I don’t think he owes UK anything, he is making an important life decision. I do think coming back is in his best interest and most likely make him top 5 to 10 in the draft next year.

• 72uksprinter
      6:24 pm May 24, 2017 Permalink

What 4ever said.
      He and Cal have been dead straight with everyone from Day One.
      This is exactly what he should have done.
      I think the decision is harder due to his measurables causing understandable hype.
      I would love to see those measurables and his motor on the court for UK, though.

9. RealCatsFan
    5:24 pm May 24, 2017 Permalink

Of course, on the other hand it could mean that he received some kind of affirmation from another team that they are taking him in the first round. We’ll know soon!

10. thenamerobdigity
    5:25 pm May 24, 2017 Permalink

Brett Favre retirement was the most exhausting

• BBNDan7
      6:33 pm May 24, 2017 Permalink

Oh god, maybe the most exhausting thing to ever happen in sports decisions

11. 4everblue
    5:27 pm May 24, 2017 Permalink

I really would like to see him in a UK uniform. Come on back HD!

12. Chacosrule
    5:28 pm May 24, 2017 Permalink

No way. I’m excited for the kid. He’ll be financially well off either this year or next.

13. Ukgrad2006
    5:28 pm May 24, 2017 Permalink

I have a feeling he will be playing overseas next season

14. Catlogic15
    5:28 pm May 24, 2017 Permalink

There have been 20 recruiting dramas like this. So, perhaps Nets came through with guarantee 27. He’d take it even though Cal said “21 or 22”, or he’d advise him to return. Hmmmm.

15. hdr
    5:29 pm May 24, 2017 Permalink

We’ll know for sure in 6 hrs. 22 minutes.

• hdr
      5:30 pm May 24, 2017 Permalink

Actually 6 hrs and 32 mins.

16. Dave from Owsley County
    5:35 pm May 24, 2017 Permalink

I don’t know what to think about Diollo. He either is really a pre – Madonna or he just plain doesn’t care about Kentucky at all. He is a good player but the way hes acting I don’t know…

• lexslamman
      5:41 pm May 24, 2017 Permalink

Instead of nitpicking that it’s spelled prima donna, I’d like to petition that we change the term to pre-Madonna.

Ps: prima donna is latin or Italian for “first lady”

• CatsfaninFL
      5:42 pm May 24, 2017 Permalink

LoL! *sigh*

• Dave from Owsley County
      5:53 pm May 24, 2017 Permalink

lexislamman – Lol I didn’t know it was prima donna. I always thought that word was weird. I will sign that petition though!

• chief_cat
      6:00 pm May 24, 2017 Permalink

I disagree. I don’t feel he is acting like a primadonna or that his thoroughly vetting his situation indicates he doesn’t care about Kentucky. I think it indicates that he is taking all the time he is allotted to make the best decision he can based upon all of the data he has received during this process. This decision could literally make him millions or lose him millions. There are so many factors to consider: what he has been told by team representatives, what he has read, what he is being told by Coach Cal and staff, any “guarantees” he has been given by teams, the likelihood of getting a lottery spot if he stays in college a year, the risk of injury or exposing weaknesses by staying in college a year, his family financial situation, and the list goes on and on.
      On the one hand, it is a luxury to be in this kid’s shoes. He has talent that will surely net him more money than most of us will see in a lifetime. One the other hand, it is very tough to make that decision with so many sources of information and so much information to weigh. It would be tough for me to decide and I am over 50! I can’t imagine how tough it is for an 18 year old to make this choice.
      I don’t get the whole “he owes Kentucky” or “he owes BBN” mentality. He accepted an open scholarship last year that was unused. He helped himself by coming and gaining experience practicing against Fox, Monk and others, but he also helped our team by providing a tough adversary in practice during that time. He didn’t take anything away from the school or the team by attending. If he leaves this summer, he crushes our dreams of watching him suit up for us, but otherwise, there is no cost to us and certainly no cost to the school or program.
      I don’t believe we can say he is selfish or uncaring if he decides to take a chance on the draft. Part of growing up is learning how to make the best life decisions possible after weighing all the evidence. This kid is getting an early lesson on the difficulties of making such a decision. To be fair he probably isn’t thinking much about how BBN will feel right now. But that can’t affect a decision that will affect his financial future. It certainly wouldn’t for me. Instead I would hope BBN fans were gracious enough to understand and to support me, regardless whether I decided to go or stay.

• Dave from Owsley County
      6:28 pm May 24, 2017 Permalink

ChiefCat- He doesn’t care about Kentucky but that’s okay. I just don’t want to kept getting strung along. If he wants to go to the NBA that’s ok but it’s just rude to UK to not let us know what he’s doing.

• 4everblue
      6:15 pm May 24, 2017 Permalink

Chief nailed it again!

• gobble gobble
      6:48 pm May 24, 2017 Permalink

Dave, stfu! It sounds like you feel as though you’re dating Diallo. He doesn’t owe you or and other Cats fan anything. It’s HIS life and HIS future.

• Dave from Owsley County
      10:08 pm May 24, 2017 Permalink

Gobble gobble – you stfu ya weirdo…what are you talking about

• RealCatsFan
      7:20 pm May 24, 2017 Permalink

Dave, are we talking about Madonna during her “material girl” days, or when she got really weird and paraded around in that cone-bra thingy? What was actually pre-Madonna – Linda Rondstat? Cindy Lauper? 🙂

• RealCatsFan
      7:23 pm May 24, 2017 Permalink

Cheif, good analysis, but took me almost as long to read it as it is taking Hami to make his decision! 🙂

17. Destroyou
    5:42 pm May 24, 2017 Permalink

No player is a UK player unless they give their best during whatever time they have at UK for the team. We are ecstatic as a fan base when it benefits both parties. I have always been behind straight out of high school/one and done… If you have qualifications, go do your best in your profession.

He can do whatever is best for his family, but none and done is stealing from UK… Just go play overseas if you need money. If he comes back, GREAT! But at the moment, he isn’t a UK player in my and most of BBN’s eyes. We get sick of people trying to force it down our throats that we aren’t fans if we don’t support him.

Guess what, why even have games by that logic? We are a players first program, and the players could get hurt in games! #NoneAndDoneLogic

• Cmart0907
      5:46 pm May 24, 2017 Permalink

Jesus Christ. The kid is a teenager. The hardest decision of his life. Acting like an “Madonna”. KSR please help these people.

• Destroyou
      5:52 pm May 24, 2017 Permalink

Ignoring the fact that teenagers have fought and died for this country at his age…

He could’ve made that decision w/o involving UK.

Other teens accept academic scholarships and are required to perform academically or lose them, unlike the opportunity he was granted.

• timbo
      5:53 pm May 24, 2017 Permalink

So “he’s not a player”, yet he is “stealing from U.K.” Please tell the rest of us logical folks what it is he has “stolen” and how you reconcile those two contrasting statements…

• Destroyou
      6:06 pm May 24, 2017 Permalink

To be a “player” you must “play”

He stole…
      -Coach’s Time
      -Gym resources
      -Athletic scholarship (Including stipend, education, room and board which also includes meals in wildcat lodge) at the expense of taxpayers/other UK students who could be just as poor as his family.
      .. If he never plays.

Don’t believe you understand “contrasting.”

• BBNDan7
      6:52 pm May 24, 2017 Permalink

Cal was still going to go to practice, the gym was still going to be used, who else would’ve gotten his scholarship? (Scholarships are based by team not the whole school)

• donjohnson
      6:17 pm May 24, 2017 Permalink

I don’t know how you can compare the military to a basketball player most people who join the military at 18 need guidance or a way to achieve something because school, scholarship or millions are not on the table. Just the throw out of figure I would say if I knew 100 people in the military and in my circle of friends and people I’ve met in my life eighty to ninety percent of them didn’t have any other real good options. Little bit different scenario here

• 4everblue
      6:17 pm May 24, 2017 Permalink

Not sure how you figure he is stealing from anyone timbo. Put yourself in his shoes and tell me you wouldn’t take your time to make the best decision.

• Destroyou
      6:32 pm May 24, 2017 Permalink

Do you not see that the “best decision” process goes like this?

Need Money?
      -Go Overseas
      Want exposure?
      -Stay here and play

Also, the point of that military statement was to highlight that the players are men and their decisions aren’t so earth-shaking comparatively

• unbridled
      7:51 pm May 24, 2017 Permalink

Destroyou, your logic is completely flawed. The entire premise is ridiculous. He has permission from the university and collegiate basketball to do exactly what he is doing. To say “he stole from UK is beyond stupid. He attended practices and fulfilled his obligations to last years temm. Not up for debate.

18. lexslamman
    5:43 pm May 24, 2017 Permalink

He’s a teenager, folks. Calm down.

19. Randall lee
    5:45 pm May 24, 2017 Permalink

He owes UK nothing,expect. Room,board,schooling,coaching,job training.

• 4everblue
      6:18 pm May 24, 2017 Permalink

can always count on Randal lee to make a stupid ass statement.

• jim tom
      6:21 pm May 24, 2017 Permalink

Why don’t you say that to his face brave man?

• BBNDan7
      6:35 pm May 24, 2017 Permalink

By that comment everyone who has ever played for Kentucky or received a scholarship in any way but didn’t finish at UK owes them money. I’m assuming you wouldn’t know how any of that works, seeing as high school diplomas don’t teach you about college

• 4everblue
      6:33 am May 25, 2017 Permalink

And just when you think RLee has made the dumbest statement up pops his BFF Billy Ray Jim Bob. You two make a cute couple…couple of what is the question.

20. bluemark
    5:45 pm May 24, 2017 Permalink

Definitely the Patrick Patterson and Jai Lucas recruitments are the standard for ridiculousness, and I don’t think anyone doubted PPat’s commitment to Kentucky. This kid has a huge decision to make, and he doesn’t owe any of us, or UK, anything. He just needs to do what is best for him, and I haven’t seen anything from him that sounds disrespectful, arrogant or negative toward UK.

BTW, it’s “prima donna”, which is an Italian term referring to the top female singer in an opera company. In other words, a diva. 😉

21. blueblue
    5:50 pm May 24, 2017 Permalink

According to a story I read on 247Sports’ Facebook page, the deadline was 5pm today. So where’s the scoop? Or is that incorrect information?

22. DocRut
    5:51 pm May 24, 2017 Permalink

Simply YES

23. sincitycat
    5:52 pm May 24, 2017 Permalink

Time for another beer.

24. jim tom
    5:56 pm May 24, 2017 Permalink

Surprised ?

25. BBNDan7
    6:34 pm May 24, 2017 Permalink

So what happens if he says nothing? Does he stay in the draft automatically?

26. bennyd113
    6:37 pm May 24, 2017 Permalink

I hope he pens a letter to BBN saying he’s staying and makes all you haters and naysayers look like dickbags

27. Randall lee
    6:40 pm May 24, 2017 Permalink

He’s just following his dream of being a mime.

28. Randall lee
    6:44 pm May 24, 2017 Permalink

The only dickbag is bouncing off 4everblues chin.

29. sincitycat
    7:17 pm May 24, 2017 Permalink

Roll another one…

30. jim tom
    7:39 pm May 24, 2017 Permalink

Hope i live another 500 years to see his decision

31. 3dcatfan
    7:48 pm May 24, 2017 Permalink

It means he’s not interested in being the 44th pick!