Devin Booker’s dad says they will discuss the NBA over the next few days

Earlier today, John Calipari said Devin Booker and Dakari Johnson are two players he believes are most on the fence about staying or going to the NBA. Devin’s father Melvin Booker did an interview with the Sun Herald in which he says he and Devin’s mom haven’t spoken with their son about his decision yet, but plan to in the coming days:

“We actually haven’t talked about it yet because of having to deal with the situation of losing because it was a tough loss,” his dad, Melvin Booker, said. “It wasn’t just tough for him. It was tough for me. I felt like I played.

“In the next few days, Devin and I and his mom will sit down and talk.”

Booker is currently just outside the lottery in most of the major mock drafts after a shooting slump, so you could argue that he has a lot to gain from another year of development, especially on defense. Remember that Booker is super close with Tyler Ulis, so let’s hope Ulis is “going after his guys” to rebuild for next season. After all…

[Sun Herald]

6 Comments for Devin Booker’s dad says they will discuss the NBA over the next few days

1. UKfaninLou
    8:09 pm April 6, 2015 Permalink

One. More. Year.
    I don’t know this family’s financial situation but, man, I’d like to watch this guy develop another year.
    Opportunity to be the best guard team in the nation and be a lottery pick for sure.
    Go Cats 2016

2. Rixter
    8:45 pm April 6, 2015 Permalink

I don’t think Devin or Trey have a serious financial need, the good business decision for each is to come back, as each has serious parts of his game to work on, and could parlay that into a Top 5 selection next year.
    Me? I need to work on my run-on sentences.

• BigBlueSean
      9:19 pm April 6, 2015 Permalink

Completely false. If both are top 20 picks, which almost all sites have them at (some have Lyles at top 10) they need to leave. There is no factual basis that if they come back their stock will improve. They may become better players, but it doesn’t always translate to moving up draft boards. Just look at Terrence Jones, Doron Lamb and the Harrisons. Both improved as players but didn’t do jack in improving their draft position. you can develop your game just as much if not more by going pro When bball is your job. Let’s say you complete your 1st yr of college and 2 ppl approach you….one offers you an internship you don’t get paid for, another a 3 year contract making 7 figures a year. Which one you taking? Everyone would take the money. Quit being selfish…IMO if you are a 1st round lock, you gotta go. Coming back to school more often than not hurts your draft status instead of helping it. See Marcus Smart, Marcus Paige, James Michael McAdoo, RHJ, Wayne Selden, Jared Sullenger, Troy Williams, Terrence Jones, Doron Lamb, Harrison’s and the list goes on and on and on

3. AndTheDevil
    9:09 pm April 6, 2015 Permalink

Did Booker shoot well for any extended period of time this year? That’s more than a slump. This year “shooting well” didn’t seem to be the norm.

4. Willy
    10:44 pm April 6, 2015 Permalink

Seriously, just saw a report that Pitino has resigned to take the head job at DePaul & head the athletic dept. Guess when Cal signed his ext., he decided to get out of Ky.,wonder how Jurich feels now that he was lied to also!!!!

• J-Dub421
      12:53 pm April 7, 2015 Permalink

Not sure where you heard this, but it’s wrong.