Devin Askew shoulders the blame for loss to Alabama

There is plenty of blame to go around for last night’s loss. From start to finish, Kentucky played horribly, allowing Alabama to score at will and doing little to close the gap. Even though he was the Cats’ only form of offense at times, Devin Askew stepped up and took responsibility for the loss, Kentucky’s seventh of the season.

“I wouldn’t say that,” the freshman point guard said when asked if Kentucky was full of itself after the win over Florida. “I take a lot of this game on me. I put the game on me. I didn’t show up to play today to the best of my ability. I let my team down and I put this one on me. We just gotta come to play including myself. My mind set wasn’t that. It just didn’t click for us today and that’s on me. That’s on me.”

Askew finished second on the team in scoring with 12 points off 4-9 from the floor, 3-3 from the free throw line. He and Davion Mintz combined for only three assists to four turnovers, a telling sign of Kentucky’s woes. Nothing was working on offense. During his postgame remarks, John Calipari lamented that his guards didn’t feed Olivier Sarr in the post enough, and when they did attempt threes, just couldn’t connect.

“We had a chance to go inside and post the ball and play, now put that game to where it was nine or 10. We couldn’t deliver the ball. When we did, we scored in there, did some good stuff. Again, we had a lot of one-for-fours, one-for-fives. Dontaie (Allen) was two-for-five. Four-for-18 from the three means, yeah, maybe you’re not a 3-point shooting team, but that’s ok.”

A win over Alabama would have given Kentucky its second Quad 1 win of the season — big for the resume — and continued the momentum from the past few weeks. Instead, the Cats got embarrassed. Despite all the struggles, Askew still believes this team can turn it around.

“We’re gonna get back into the gym and keep working to get better,” he vowed. “This is not where our story ends. We have a long journey, and this is still part of the beginning so we’re gonna keep moving and keep moving forward after this one.”

14 Comments for Devin Askew shoulders the blame for loss to Alabama

1. bigblue98
    10:38 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

This loss isn’t on one player. It’s on the head coach. When you are getting thumped entire second half that’s the inability and unwillingness of a coach to change. Getting beat by that margin at home is embarrassing when you’re supposed to be the gold standard.

• 2andToodleLoo
      1:29 pm January 13, 2021 Permalink

Cal:” Four-for-18 from the three means, yeah, maybe you’re not a 3-point shooting team, but that’s ok.” NO it’s freaking not. This is why you lost to Bama by 20. They have a free flowing offense and hammer the three with 2 of their best scorers /players out. Embarrassing!!! Quit shooting BS and own it.

2. Trinity45
    10:40 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

Kid has class but one player is not responsible for a loss this bad, the only one who should shoulder the blame is the coach.

3. gasman01
    10:43 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

Good kid. He’s just a step slow. Allan is our best shooter but he has a hard time getting open.

4. blueNtheFace
    11:09 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

Kentucky=just not very good this season. All you can say, sadly

5. Wade
    11:31 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

He should just shoulder the blame for his performance not the others they were terrible. We are lacking in every area. But he’s trying to be the leader and a captain being a pg and I respect that. Like to see what type of fight Cam’Ron fletcher has in a game like that being down. No one could stop anybody from Bama. Sure Bens passing didn’t help.

6. Racerr11
    11:53 am January 13, 2021 Permalink

Effort and focus was a big part of this game period. Obviously alot of distractions and the biggest one was kneeling and I’m sure some from Ben. I thought Askew played hard so not his fault. Bottom line it’s the coaches job to keep them focused and he did nothing but distract them. Cal coach the team and stay out of politics .

• Kentucky Gentleman
      12:16 pm January 13, 2021 Permalink

Did the team kneel before the Alabama game? Or was that before the Florida game when UK won by 20?

• DoubleB65
      2:02 pm January 13, 2021 Permalink

The program has been dealing with the blowback from the kneel since right after the Florida game. I see no way it was not a distraction. Players even commented on it before the game.
      Of course it was a distraction.

7. Stop Hammer Time
    1:03 pm January 13, 2021 Permalink

Cal only took Askew because Chris Mack was about to land him. Mack visited him twice and the kid announced he was cutting off the recruiting process and would decide soon. Then Cal calls his dad and magically the kid committed to us shortly after. UofL ended up with a great PG. so I guess Mack should thank Cal.

8. dcforuk
    1:53 pm January 13, 2021 Permalink

Offense matters and had issues. Defensively, we gave up many open looks. Some of that is (1) Alabama’s personnel, system and that it was their night and some is (2) not great defense. Not sure the percentage breakdown of each of those two factors?

9. just a guy
    3:50 pm January 13, 2021 Permalink

Askew had a -22 +\-….negative twenty-two.

Boston had -24!!!

I get he’s not only player to have bad game, but when your PG and starting “shooting” guard play that bad, there’s no way ever ever a team can win

10. RexRox
    4:27 pm January 13, 2021 Permalink

This is our point guard for the next 2-3 years. Has a great attitude and always works hard but needs to improve his handle and his ability to stay in front of the quicker guards. Should not take the blame for this loss but his defense IS a problem.

11. Tom Bombadil
    5:54 pm January 13, 2021 Permalink

All I know was taking a knee was definitely a distraction. Just as Calipari said he wants to take away the distraction from kneeling down and start the focus on playing basketball…(they didn’t get the memo) He said they knelt down to help bring people together!!! Hahahahaaahaaaaa! Boy that sure is some spin! in this day and age what’s up is down and what’s down is up! Nuts!! In reality it was a complete alienation of millions of people. Matter fact I’ve been thinking they’ve been kneeling down on learning how to pass -dribble -and shoot all year long! Come on Cats let’s focus at least how to truly unify people… Or how about learning how to shoot the basketball? 101