Devin Askew hints at more to come in Kentucky’s 2020 recruiting class

(Instagram: @babydev)

(Instagram: @babydev)

Kentucky already maintains the No. 1 recruiting class in the 2020 team rankings, and they’re not finished yet.

2020 five-star guards Terrence Clarke, BJ Boston, Devin Askew, five-star forward Isaiah Jackson, and four-star forwards Lance Ware and Cam’Ron Fletcher make up Kentucky’s consensus top-ranked recruiting class, but John Calipari and his coaching staff are still on the prowl for a few more key pieces in the frontcourt.

Askew, a 6-foot-4 point guard out of Santa Ana, CA, participated in the Tarkanian Classic with his Mater Dei High School squad last week from Dec. 17-21, where he led his team to the event semifinals and topped the 14-point mark in three of his team’s four games.

After his team’s 72-39 opening victory over Putnam City West (OK) on Wednesday afternoon, KSR caught up with Askew about his 9-point, 7-rebound, 7-assist near triple-double, what he brings to the table as a player, how excited he is about getting to Lexington, and who he hopes to bring with him.

“We came out slow, individually I came out slow, but toward the end we picked it up,” Askew said of Mater Dei’s blowout victory to open the event. “We’re all sick right now, we’ve all got [something], but we picked it up toward the end and we all fought. It was cool, slow game though.”

On any given day, illness or not, the Kentucky signee pointed out two attributes he brings to the table that he feels separates his game from the rest of the nation.

“Energy,” he said. “Energy and winning.”

Those attributes are exactly what he hopes to bring to the table in Lexington next season, adding that he’s planning on doing whatever is asked of him by Calipari and the UK coaching staff to win games. At the end of the day, he knows their guidance will lead to success on the floor, which will ultimately lead to him being selected in the NBA Draft.

“I’m hoping to bring whatever Coach Cal asks me to bring,” Askew told KSR. “Whatever that is, I’m bringing it. … [Calipari’s] pitch was to come in and be a leader, be a point guard that leads a team. Kentucky was a place that I knew would help me get to a place where I want to be in the future, [the NBA].”

In terms of who he’s set to play with in Lexington, Askew feels Kentucky’s top-ranked recruiting class will “make his job easier” as the program’s lead guard during the 2020-21 season.

“Those are my guys, shoot. I’m excited about being a true point guard to them,” the five-star prospect told KSR. “Having them around me makes my job easier, way easier. Having BJ [Boston], [Terrence] Clarke, Lance [Ware], Cam [Fletcher], and Isaiah Jackson? Shoot. It makes my job real easy.”

While Kentucky holds a firm lead in the 2020 team recruiting rankings, Askew hinted that they weren’t done yet.

Who he was recruiting to join him in Lexington, though, isn’t for the public to know quite yet.

“Shoot… I’d rather not talk about it unless Coach Cal [talks about it],” Askew said with a laugh. “I don’t want to give any names out or anything. I’d rather not answer.”

One player he has been outspoken about playing with in Lexington? 2020 four-star center Cliff Omoruyi, who Askew says is a player he is doing “whatever [he] can do to get him [to Kentucky].”

“Cliff is my guy, yeah, that’s my guy,” Askew told KSR. “First time we ever played together and I met Cliff was at the Elite 100 Sophomore Camp in St. Louis. We were on a team together, and I loved playing with him. He’s a big that makes the game easier for you, he’s big. Shoot, whatever I can do to get him [to Kentucky], man, let’s do it.”

On Omoruyi’s end of things, the four-star center has said in the past that Askew is a player he would also love playing with at the next level.

What does it mean for Askew to have high-level prospects wanting to play alongside him in college?

“It means a lot, honestly, that they trust me in leading the team that they’re on,” he said. “They come to me to be the leader, so it means a lot.”

Regardless of who else joins Kentucky’s elite recruiting class for 2020, the five-star guard hopes fans are ready to see a show on a nightly basis in Lexington next season.

“Bring it, everyone bring it,” he said. “Bring the fans, everyone show up [at Rupp Arena when I get there]. We’re gonna have a good time, it’s gonna be a good show.”

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

20 Comments for Devin Askew hints at more to come in Kentucky’s 2020 recruiting class

1. DelrayCat
    7:21 pm December 23, 2019 Permalink

Know any 7-footers Devin?

2. UKLugo
    7:27 pm December 23, 2019 Permalink

Shoot. Iike this kid.

3. Blueballz
    8:53 pm December 23, 2019 Permalink

OMG YES!!! More 5 star players!

-we are young
    -we are college basketball
    -KY isn’t for everyone
    -players first
    -I can’t hide you
    -tweak
    -and wait for it….I like my team

Can’t wait to lose in the Elite 8 again with a thousand pros to a team with maybe one

• KYjellyRoll
      10:21 pm December 23, 2019 Permalink

Let’s go after 3 stars and less! Compete every 5-6 years? Have a season above .500 2x a decade? Ok

• CrystalBall
      10:43 pm December 23, 2019 Permalink

Good one, KYjellyRoll.

• 4everUKBlue
      2:28 pm December 24, 2019 Permalink

Dude, you should just go back to UofLittleBro and root for them.

• Tom Bombadil
      2:58 pm December 24, 2019 Permalink

No wonder you got blueballz…esp when u ride on the same ol crap train….hahahaha!
      Ill take my chances with the coach of the decade to create something special!!!
      GO CATS!!!

4. Duuuuuude
    10:26 pm December 23, 2019 Permalink

We will likely be returning a lot of players. I wonder how that is going to play out.

5. Hot Stuff Eddie Gilbert
    11:04 pm December 23, 2019 Permalink

I guess that means 6 or 7 jokers on this current squad are going to try to go pro. Funny. That is the system. Guys that aren’t ready for the NBA are forced out because the next great 5 star is coming in to take their place.

• 4everUKBlue
      3:55 pm December 24, 2019 Permalink

The last Cat to be forced out was Cousins and he needed to be. What is wrong with you people?

6. sp
    8:12 am December 24, 2019 Permalink

Lots of transfers out coming after this season.

7. dave1964
    9:22 am December 24, 2019 Permalink

Richards and EJ are two that will transfer because they will not get drafted.

8. ghost of whackamo
    10:39 am December 24, 2019 Permalink

So next year’s class is shaping up to be awesome, but who is going to leave? Sestina and 3 unused scholarships (which drives me crazy but that is another post) who leaves? That is only 4 scholarships and there are already more than 4 commits in the class.

• Tom Bombadil
      4:26 pm December 24, 2019 Permalink

3 unused…plus sestina a senior, and Hagans and Maxey will go for sure. So thats 6 right there. Its even right now. Six are incoming.
      GO CATS! Fellas Bring #9 or #10 Home!

9. JASUN74
    1:54 pm December 24, 2019 Permalink

Hey everybody, How about we sit back and watch this season play out before you dub this the worst team in the world. My god. You wait!!! I can’t believe what I’m hearing right now!! Do we not go through this every year?? Yes we do!!

This group will get it together and make a run. Mark it down. We may lose Saturday to Louisville, we may beat them by 25 points! Who knows ! . We got some damn good players on this team and they’ve all only been together a couple months so far, let’s let them have a chance to gel and learn how to play with each other.

Every year we hear this! We suck and Cal has lost it!! Then all of a sudden BOOM! They take off and look awesome. It’s going to happen so just give them a little time. You can’t win the championship this weekend so relax!!! Lmao. I love that we all care soo much but come on now.

• 4everUKBlue
      2:31 pm December 24, 2019 Permalink

I’m with you Jasun, but unfortunately Cal’s success has spoiled the whiners, because before Cal after the 98′ banner, UKBB was very boring to say the least, it only got exciting again when Cal came. We have some of the most entitled fans in college basketball.

• Tom Bombadil
      3:01 pm December 24, 2019 Permalink

Well said! Cheers!
      GO CATS!!!

10. grammarpoliceUK
    2:43 pm December 24, 2019 Permalink

Entitled may not be the word 4ever. Ignorant may be a better choice!

11. Tom Bombadil
    5:01 pm December 24, 2019 Permalink

Also before Cal came…it was 98 since the last Final Four. So 2011..a 13 yr drought.Tubbys last 11years Zero Final Fours. And i love Tubby! But all those teams had Juniors and seniors a plenty!! and no Final Fours. So pick your poison…lol.
    GO CATS!!