Detroit News: Charles Matthews is Michigan’s unsung hero

(Photo: Ronald Martinez, Getty Images)

Moritz Wagner was the star for the Michigan Wolverines on Saturday, but Charles Matthews has been the unsung hero all tournament.

The sophomore and former Kentucky Wildcat is averaging 16.6 points during the NCAA Tournament.

Matthews finished with 17 points and five rebounds. His one assist came during Michigan’s 12-0 run, hitting Wagner for a 3-pointer.

“He was great,” senior Duncan Robinson said of Matthews. “We are at our best when he is really aggressive; tonight was no different. He as a big reason why we came out with a win.”

Matthews sealed Michigan’s trip to the championship on Monday with a dunk with 1:34 remaining, putting Michigan up 10 points.

“I was just trying to help my team win, do whatever I can to help the team win,”  Matthews said. “I’m trying to get Coach B a national title, that’s my goal. That’s why I want to win.”

I will be rooting for Matthews and Michigan on Monday, and I hope all of Big Blue Nation will be too.

[‘He was great’: Charles Matthews is Michigan’s unsung hero]

Article written by Kindsey Bernhard

Lover of dogs, sports and beer. @kindseybernhard

15 Comments for Detroit News: Charles Matthews is Michigan’s unsung hero

1. JTHinton
    4:20 pm April 1, 2018 Permalink

Did he transfer for more PT or for family reasons? I’ve heard both this past week… also happy Easter to all!

2. Azulgrande75
    4:38 pm April 1, 2018 Permalink

I’ll be rooting for Villanova! Michigan is a member of the Big Ten and I despise the Big 10. They all talk alot of smack and don’t have the hardware to back it up. Most of the media always bias in their favor also. Villanova actually recruits athletes who can shoot the ball! What a novel idea.

3. N-UR-i
    4:43 pm April 1, 2018 Permalink

But I heard so many say he wasn’t any good and we didnt lise anything from him leaving?

4. Mc12
    4:57 pm April 1, 2018 Permalink

Not a good fit as a SG but a good fit as a SF. He can guard multiple positions and although he’s not great at anything offensively, as a SF he doesn’t necessarily have to be if the 2 can shoot.

5. CombatMedic_98
    6:35 pm April 1, 2018 Permalink

Cal is dreading losing him…I know I am!

6. Smyrna_Cat
    6:50 pm April 1, 2018 Permalink

Best case – all come back. Worse case – all leave. Very short blurb.

7. Rick_S
    9:53 pm April 1, 2018 Permalink

Go Nova!!!!!!! I won’t root for a quitter

• Flake
      1:05 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

Then don’t root for Kyle Macy, Travis Ford, Mark Pope, Derek Anderson, or Heshimu Evans, all of whom transferred to UK, all of whom were major contributors to at least one final four team, and other than Ford, all of whom one a national title. Mathews wasn’t a good fit in 2015-2016 because of the makeup of that team, but probably could have helped the 2016-2017 team, and just think if he had been on this year’s team, likely he would have played in Dialo’s spot. As hard as Dialo played, Mathews is clearly the superior player at this stage in their careers. With all that being said, I hope he has a good game, but I will pull for Nova, Like Azulgrande75, I don’t like the Big 10.

• Flake
      1:06 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

Won not one, sorry

8. Flake
    1:06 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

Won not one

9. drbigblue
    11:36 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

It obviously wasn’t a good fit for him at KY. That happens in life. I wish his good fit had been a good one at KY. He was a good kid, and we sure as heck could have used him the last couple of years. Especially his experience. Don’t like Big 10 schools or Villanova, but I’ll have to go with Nova, liking them the least.