Derek Willis won the postgame press conference

FullSizeRender 9

Derek Willis followed up a huge game at Auburn with another big performance tonight. Willis put up 12 points, 7 rebounds, 4 blocks, and 1 steal, making the most of his second start of the season. Derek attributed his consistency and confidence to his father and his girlfriend, telling reporters that his dad told him this week that the Auburn game was nice, but what he did after it would be what mattered.

“I just want to stay consistent. That’s the thing — my dad, I hate to bring him up in media, but honestly, he’s the one who’s been pushing me towards this thing, he and my girlfriend. He said the first game you had against Auburn was an amazing game, you played really well, but what’s going to keep you going is the next game and the next game. I’m just trying to play consistent and do what I can and hope for the best and try to win.”

Willis said physical practices this week were also a huge help.

“I think we all have been making really good progress. It all started in practice. Wed’ve been doing really had work, also Kenny Payne, a lot of conditioning, a lot of physicality. It’s been tough, but it’s paying off in the game and I think that’s why we were so well prepared for this one. We were the aggressor and it stayed like that the whole game.”

There was a hilarious moment when someone asked Derek how much emphasis Kentucky put on guarding the perimeter. (Kentucky held the normally hot-handed Razorbacks to 2-12 from the 3-point line.)

Honestly, the two kids, I want to say it was maybe 5 and 3 — the white kid — those two were the shooters,” Derek said to titters of laughter from the media room. “We always had someone switching out on him and always around him.”

Then Derek endeared himself to the entire Big Blue Nation a little bit more with this quote:

“I just want to make [my dad] happy, I want to make people in the state of Kentucky happy, all the fans. That’s what I play for, or else I wouldn’t play this game anymore, honestly.”

21 Comments for Derek Willis won the postgame press conference

1. bstains
    10:19 pm January 21, 2016 Permalink

I guess the arm sleeve Derek’s been wearing is to hide the tatoo hanging out of his jacket sleeve.

• thebigblue
      1:43 pm January 22, 2016 Permalink

You think he got that tattoo that big and in bold for it to be hidden? Derek got that tattoo to spread awareness for Alzheimer’s disease. So before posting ignorant comments about personal things that hold a lot of meaning, when you have no clue what you’re talking about, don’t. Also, you spelled tattoo wrong. You should be hiding behind a grammar book.

2. Willy
    10:29 pm January 21, 2016 Permalink

Great game & great attitude, keep up the good work & best of luck to you. Hope you have all the success in the world the rest of your career.

3. Long Dong Silver
    10:41 pm January 21, 2016 Permalink

Skinny and UKBBU need to apologize to Willis. You two jackass losers suck.

• UK Big Board Update
      10:53 pm January 21, 2016 Permalink

Living in your head – rent free!!! 😂😂

• Long Dong Silver
      10:55 pm January 21, 2016 Permalink

Lol. No. I just remember those whom say stupid things. Hence, I recall you. Idiot. Make another excuse.

• UK Big Board Update
      11:07 pm January 21, 2016 Permalink

I remember you trying to get everyone to believe you had a doctorate in psychology…… Talk about remembering stupid shit……. That was a good one.

• Long Dong Silver
      11:09 pm January 21, 2016 Permalink

I actually do. Child moleatwr.

• UK Big Board Update
      11:12 pm January 21, 2016 Permalink

Hahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaa!!!! No seriously.

• UK Big Board Update
      11:17 pm January 21, 2016 Permalink

Do you have Twitter or Facebook? We’re gonna need proof. Hahahahahaaaa!! 😂 I’m dying over here.

• Long Dong Silver
      11:20 pm January 21, 2016 Permalink

You are some kind of stupid. You have mother issues, and you are a child molester

• UK Big Board Update
      11:21 pm January 21, 2016 Permalink

Okay. You keep playing make believe and dodging the questions, and we’ll all just continue to laugh at you.

• Long Dong Silver
      11:30 pm January 21, 2016 Permalink

You’re the one we all laugh at. You’re a troll. We all see it. A coward.

4. UK Big Board Update
    10:56 pm January 21, 2016 Permalink

Great game from Skal, too!

• Long Dong Silver
      11:21 pm January 21, 2016 Permalink

We aren’t fooled by your negativity. Child molester.

• UK Big Board Update
      11:22 pm January 21, 2016 Permalink

You sound mad, “Doctor”. 😂😂

• Long Dong Silver
      11:31 pm January 21, 2016 Permalink

I’m very happy. We won and your agenda against Willis looks even more foolish.

• UK Big Board Update
      9:17 am January 22, 2016 Permalink

Oh. You were repeating yourself a bunch. It sounded like you were rage typing. Lol

5. Long Dong Silver
    11:31 pm January 21, 2016 Permalink

I wish you had the guts to fight.

• UK Big Board Update
      9:16 am January 22, 2016 Permalink

You’re the one that didn’t show up. 😉

6. Bluebros
    12:12 am January 22, 2016 Permalink

Thats what this team needs… Some Kentucky blood. Derek & Dom seem to be the extra special ingredient to make this team tick. No one on this team has a prettier stroke than Derek (thats what she said) and he has a stone cold face when he shoots. Love it! It does my heart good to see the Kentucky boys putting in work! Now lets get Dom healthy and see what these Kentucky boys can do! I don’t mind not winning # 9 this year but I’d rather see players represent with heart and passion.

BlueBros Mid-Season analysis

Ulis – Too Short – City of Dope! CHECK PLUS
    Murray – He gonna jack up a lot of shots but he makes up for it in the end. CHECK
    Briscoe- Solid D and he gets to the rim! Love this guy but DAMN those FT’s.. Check
    Poythress- Sigh… I want it for him so BAD!!
    Lee- I don’t know… I just don’t know. He might have more fouls than points this year
    Skal- I can’t hate on him. He’s gonna be alright. SHOOT THE 3!!
    Derek- He’s a disgruntled worker with all the talents for the NBA. Hope he keeps the spark
    Dom- How can you not love this kid. He will get a GREAT job after his basketball days are done
    Matthews- His time will come. Love what I’m seeing so far
    Mulder- Is that #11 on the team? I heard he was a great with the 3’s?!?