Derek Willis gets it done on both ends

Screen Shot 2015-12-12 at 3.49.54 PM

After an ugly shooting performance in the first half, the Cats are getting their act together in the second behind Isaiah Briscoe and Derek Willis. Willis just had the Whitaker Bank Shot of the Year with this three and took care of business on the other end with a big block:

Looks like that shaved head is working for him.

10 Comments for Derek Willis gets it done on both ends

1. Long Dong Silver
    5:32 pm December 12, 2015 Permalink

For the life of me, why doesn’t Willis play more? Seriously.

• tippytoe
      5:41 pm December 12, 2015 Permalink

Remember when we kept asking Cal to play jorts?

• A_Blue_Wildcat
      5:48 pm December 12, 2015 Permalink

He doesn’t rebound or play defense. Today he played well, but in most of the games so far this year he has constantly been getting beat on defense and has gotten pushed around on the boards. If he can improve on those two areas then yes he should be playing more, but until then I think he’s getting the right amount of minutes.

• EdC
      6:05 pm December 12, 2015 Permalink

I would sure rather have him in the game during a tight situation than Skal.

• Long Dong Silver
      6:05 pm December 12, 2015 Permalink

I disagree. He rebounds and plays as good a defense as Skal. And Skal starts.

• A_Blue_Wildcat
      6:12 pm December 12, 2015 Permalink

Skal is 6’11 and has an over 7′ wing span. Skal is playing terrible right now, but his length and size alone gives you more than what Willis can give right now defensively and rebounding wise.

• EdC
      6:19 pm December 12, 2015 Permalink

Really? Because the numbers tell an entirely different story. In just one more minute than Skal Willis had 7 more points, 3 more rebounds, 4 fewer fouls and the same number of blocks. Additionally Willis obviously fought far harder.

• EdC
      6:29 pm December 12, 2015 Permalink

Remember how Cal supposedly looks at adjusted production, i.e. how one produces for the amount of time played?

On the season Willis is beating Skal on the majority of published stats. He has more rebounds per minute. More assists per minute, fewer turnovers per minute, more steals per minute fewer fouls per minute. Skal does win blocks per minute and barely more in points per minute which, of course he would because he is featured in the offense and gets more offensive touches per minute than Willis. Even at that he is just .06 more points per minute.

I hope Skal fares well but he shouldn’t be a one and done and the team this year shouldn’t suffer while he is learning to get tougher and beefing up.

• Long Dong Silver
      6:33 pm December 12, 2015 Permalink

Blue wildcat, you’re just wrong on this one. The knock on Willis USED to be defense and rebounding. That’s just not the case, now.

2. 2thepoint
    5:38 pm December 12, 2015 Permalink

Agree 100%. I thought Willis changed the game. He occupies a defender all the time, hustles, and rebounds. After the UCLA game, which I thought did wonders for his psyche, I thought he would be penciled in as a starter or at least get in early especially on games like tonight when the starters couldn’t buy an outside shot.