Derek Anderson apologizes to Dakari, John Calipari, and the Big Blue Nation

derek-nerlens1

Last week, Derek Anderson made waves with his interview on Drew Deener’s show in which he said some not so nice things about the state of Kentucky program, John Calipari, and Dakari Johnson. Anderson came on the show Thursday morning and tried to explain his comments and tell fans he didn’t realize he was on a Louisville radio show.

Over the weekend, Anderson wrote an open letter on Cameron Mills’ website in which he apologized to John Calipari, Dakari Johnson, and the Big Blue Nation:

An Open Letter To Coach Calipari, Dakari Johnson & Big Blue Nation

First let me apologize to Dakari Johnson if he felt offended by my example of what I meant for players to stay in school is more important than rushing to the NBA. I want the best for EVERY player and person on this earth so my intent was to hopefully bring the awareness of what could happen. I want to apologize to Coach Cal if I offended him as my comments where my opinion in which ALL UK fans and people have made in which they where not meant to be taken personal like some people chose to do.

I Love UK to the bone and have been there thru the bad and good times because we are a family. When Noel got hurt, I came! When Alex got hurt, I came! Coach ask me to speak to team, I came! I was speaking my opinion about why “I” thought we lost the last two seasons and it came out harsh in which I apologize for that.  But for people to attack my character is not something I take lightly as I am human and make mistakes. This message is to those that love UK like me, I was wrong and I’m moving on by supporting BBN as always. But if you have a problem with me, then don’t expect me to be kind to you in return. This is a sport and not a place to defame a man’s character in which I never once disrespected anyone’s character.

When coach yells at his players and tells them they played bad in front of BBN, I did the same and again, it wasn’t the right thing to do on my part. But NEVER will I allow others to attack me as a Man!

I am truly greatful for all the love and support from the University of Kentucky, BBN, and alumni.
I am True Blue always!!! #BBN4Life

Love,

DA

If you missed Derek’s appearance on our show, click here to listen to the podcast.

[CameronMillsRadio.com]

31 Comments for Derek Anderson apologizes to Dakari, John Calipari, and the Big Blue Nation

1. Kevin C
    11:51 am May 4, 2015 Permalink

As a former UK player and NBA player, I suppose Derek was within his rights to make the comments he made, and people were wrong to attack him. However, if he EVER attempts to criticize someone for poor English and/or grammar….he needs to be publicly ridiculed AND beat with a rubber hose.

• ZombieLibrarian
      2:24 pm May 4, 2015 Permalink

No kidding. That was painful to read, man. Is it too late for DA to get back in Wildcat lodge and start working with an English tutor? That looked like a middle school girl wrote it, and it had the same tone as something a middle school kid would write as well. I had less problems with what he said the first time than I do with his follow-up.

• ukjaybrat
      3:11 pm May 4, 2015 Permalink

definitely didn’t take 40 drafts to write that one… 😛

• UK1983
      4:06 pm May 4, 2015 Permalink

D.A. are appropriate initials.

2. stratblend
    12:03 pm May 4, 2015 Permalink

I don’t think many in the BBN appreciated the comments from one of our own… but to man up and apologize shows character.

3. UK1983
    12:03 pm May 4, 2015 Permalink

What?
    That is more confusing than his “explanation” on the radio show.

4. Reese Davis
    12:27 pm May 4, 2015 Permalink

This isn’t an apology, this is more like saying im sorry im right. And we lost in then final four and the national championship, not the freaking first round. We had two great years and all this guy can do is bitch.

• UKfaninLou
      12:37 pm May 4, 2015 Permalink

Agree, plus it reads like, “I do and do and do for you kids and this is the thanks I get!” Still tooting his own horn. It’s over, DA. You said what you said. Please stop explaining why you know you were right. Only makes it worse. Just let the whole thing die down.

5. Reed Rothchild
    12:35 pm May 4, 2015 Permalink

That is not an apology.

6. catdaddyd
    12:38 pm May 4, 2015 Permalink

I don’t think Derek needed to apologize for speaking his mind. This is one of those “if I offended ” you apologies to keep BBN off his back. So I guess he isn’t apologizing anyway.

7. J-Dub421
    12:38 pm May 4, 2015 Permalink

DA trashed Dakari and Coach Cal, and to a lesser extent the Harrisons, and it was pretty personal. This doesn’t seem like much of an apology. I thought DA came across as very arrogant and quite frankly ignorant in his interview with Matt.

8. david8577
    12:39 pm May 4, 2015 Permalink

“I want to apologize to Coach Cal if I offended him as my comments where my opinion in which ALL UK fans and people have made in which they where not meant to be taken personal like some people chose to do” C’mon man, second drafts are cool!

• theWilkman
      12:54 pm May 4, 2015 Permalink

With how much he thinks a college degree helps these players after basketball, it sure didn’t seem to help him much.

9. davidpat
    12:42 pm May 4, 2015 Permalink

Was Derek saying “I’m sorry, but …?” or “I’m a sorry butt?

Derek, it’s not that big of a deal. My Daddy always said, “If you see it in the grass, then just leave it alone, soon it will power up and blow away!”

BBN forever! Go Big Blue!!!

10. CatsfaninFL
    12:51 pm May 4, 2015 Permalink

An apology is 3 parts. 1) I screwed up. 2) I’m sorry 3) Please forgive me. No ifs, ands, or buts. Period.

DA has lots of ‘ifs’ in there. Stop it. You screwed up. We all screw up. It happens. Just man up and apologize for what you said without tagging on that ridiculously too common ‘if I offended you’. That places the blame back on the people you offended in the first place.

11. theWilkman
    12:52 pm May 4, 2015 Permalink

“I’m sorry, BUT…” does not count as an apology. Can’t wait for him to try out a coaching career so he can be exposed, although it could be possible he doesn’t have one yet because he’s those that make hiring decisions already know.

• theWilkman
      12:58 pm May 4, 2015 Permalink

I should have read my comment before posting, forgot to take “he’s” out while rewording my last sentence. Now it reads like DA’s post.

12. Laker Cat 18
    12:54 pm May 4, 2015 Permalink

He should come back to UK to finish his degree in English if he hasn’t already. That was difficult to read. This whole thing has publicity stunt written all over it. Whether it be for a film, a pitch for a coaching gig, or whatever.

• Laker Cat 18
      12:57 pm May 4, 2015 Permalink

*Additional degree.

13. sammydog
    1:11 pm May 4, 2015 Permalink

DA and a few other players from different eras have responded to Cal’s invitation to remain an active part of the program. Some have done it for the right reasons and others have seen it as an opportunity to call attention to and perhaps enrich themselves. Nothing wrong with using being a Wildcat to leverage your career. Many have and continue to do so. Good for them. They bleed blue and always have. Others have jumped on the train without really bleeding blue with Cal at the helm. It may be difficult for a certain former coaches’ players to buy in wholeheartedly to the current UK program. I think DA said what was in his head and his heart. No need to apologize and look like a two faced opportunist. Own it if you believe it. We know where you stand.

• Realme
      1:38 pm May 4, 2015 Permalink

Totally agree with you. Couldn’t have said it any better.

14. rdhack
    1:13 pm May 4, 2015 Permalink

That apology seems kind of prickish to me.

• 25OR624
      5:22 pm May 4, 2015 Permalink

Agreed. Apparently, it is mighty difficult to properly aplogize when one’s EGO won’t step aside.

15. Bluebloodtoo
    1:29 pm May 4, 2015 Permalink

I’ll give him character points for owning his mistake. In my opinion, his opinions and comments were not the issue. The issue was trying to play both sides of the coin by backing out of them and claim ignorance. I’m good with DA after this.

16. crystal_blue_persuasion
    2:49 pm May 4, 2015 Permalink

DA had no reason to apologize in the first place, he was stating his opinion like ever poster on here and other Kentucky message boards does every day. Any fans that attacked him for that are not true fans and make us all look stupid.

17. ukjaybrat
    3:32 pm May 4, 2015 Permalink

1st – to those that didn’t think DA owned an apology at all, it wasn’t his opinions that merited an apology ( I don’t think anyone should apologize for stating an opinion either). it was the manner he expressed them. Going on a Louisville radio show was cutthroat. i refuse to believe that he “didn’t know” but whatever. not knowing is not an excuse, and (iirc) he never really apologized for going on the louisville radio show. just excused it saying he didn’t know. excuses are not apologies.

2nd – I am sure the “but” part in the “i am sorry, but” was directed more at the “fans” that lashed out at him on twitter and facebook. so i didn’t take much offense to his two faced apology.

3rd – I’m over it. DA is still a wildcat in my book. but he really needs to lay off the coach cal bashing. 4 final fours in 5 years. his way of coaching is apparently working. taking offense to anything cal does is ridiculous. I know UK fans expect championships and perfection, but let’s be honest, 1 championship in 6 years is better than what 346 other schools have done in the last 6 years…. and 4 final fours is better than 348 other schools (except 2 champs from duke and uconn). criticizing cal is just stupid. could it have been a better ride? well yeah, duh!… but it was still a damn good ride.

18. UKALLDAY1
    4:47 pm May 4, 2015 Permalink

Why is he apologizing, why is everyone so up tight about the situation? He gave some valid points, I mean the only beef I have is how he threw Dakari under the bus, but his critique was spot on. Why not have these kids stay a couple years UNTIL THEY ARE READY. There are some legit one and dones, the guys that are ready after one year. I think at Kentucky more than any other school it is looked at as a failure if you come back or if you stay a whole term. To be honest there were only 2 (Maybe 3 players) that were ready from last years team. Towns, Booker and Lyles. Everyone else should have considered coming back. Even WCS. He has NO offensive game to speak of. He has about 2 post moves and his awareness on offense is pretty bad. Right now on offense he is a NON-FACTOR.

19. mcp157
    8:08 pm May 4, 2015 Permalink

Derek who? Loose lips sink ships.

• wildkatsssss
      9:51 pm May 4, 2015 Permalink

Yep….and you don’t talk about the la familia like that. To say he didn’t know that he was on a UL talk show doesn’t mean sh&t. Poor derek needs to hear more about poor derek to feel better….

20. satcheluk
    8:39 am May 5, 2015 Permalink

He needs a PR rep. “I’m sorry, but…” is not an apology and fails to do whathe was trying to achieve. Poor thing.

21. Scout23
    9:25 am May 5, 2015 Permalink

It goes back to Pitino. He never embraced the program–he thought he WAS the program. He never welcomed former players. He thought UK basketball began and ended with HIS players and most of them feel more loyalty to Pitino than UK.