DeMarcus Cousins says he had thoughts about attending an HBCU

Photo via UK Athletics

Photo via UK Athletics

DeMarcus Cousins’ career at Kentucky panned out well for him, but what if he had attended an HBCU?

In a recent interview with Bleacher Report’s Taylor Rooks, Cousins explains how he might have done things differently back when he was a senior in high school if he were given the opportunity.

After the announcement that five-star center Makur Maker made his decision to attend Howard University, the former Wildcat spoke with another five-star recruit, Mikey Williams, who is also considering making the jump to an HBCU. Cousins then confessed that he wishes he could have gone the route of an HBCU.

“I basically sent him a message saying, ‘You got a chance to change sports as a whole. Start a trend that should’ve already happened,’” Cousins said. “Looking back on it now, I wish I’d had that opportunity to do it the right way, in my opinion. The attention and the energy that a kid like Mikey could take to any HBCU, like I said, could change the face of college sports.”

Cousins took a visit to Howard before landing with Kentucky back in 2009 and was struck by the differences from what he grew up accustom to seeing.

“I was in awe of how many Blacks,” Cousins said about his visit to Howard. “I’ve never seen it in my life and I was just in awe. With that being said, even in that moment, I was like ‘Damn, I should have came to Howard.’ or whatever the case may be.”

The difference in Cousins’ words now compared to his decision over a decade ago is that he says he understands that basketball–even at the college level–is a business.

“The business,” Cousins said. “It’s sad to say, but even college is a business. Obviously, the athletes don’t benefit from it, but everything around it is a business. There’s a reason they want those kids at the school. That could easily be an HBCU with that type of attention and that type of income, and it’s well-deserved.”

Cousins played one season at Kentucky before being drafted No. 5 overall in the 2010 NBA Draft.

Article written by Zack Geoghegan

Recruiting reporter for KSR. Follow me on Twitter: @ZGeogheganKSR

12 Comments for DeMarcus Cousins says he had thoughts about attending an HBCU

1. BoogieDMC
    11:19 pm July 14, 2020 Permalink

Wait, what?! I thought it was the best yea f his life at UK.

2. Han
    11:21 pm July 14, 2020 Permalink

FYI, USF forward Prince Oduro was just granted immediate eligibility. I don’t see anything about him having moved closer to home. Just didn’t get much production last year at his previous school (which was already his 2nd).

Another waiver granted.

3. rebound35
    4:44 am July 15, 2020 Permalink

Whichever way the wind blows

4. wild horses
    9:12 am July 15, 2020 Permalink

Why does it seem that everything an us vs them? I don’t want it to be this way. I don’t know many people that do want it this way and I’m from small town white America. I hope love wins in the end. Regardless, Cousins was one of my favorite players ever to wear the blue and white. Grateful he chose to play here.

• Alex90
      12:54 pm July 15, 2020 Permalink

I love Cousins but if he went to one of those schools he would have never made it to the NBA. UK had the resources and talent around him to manage his immaturity but it did show at times. He would most likely had several on or off court issues being in a place like that where everyone would just let him by with it but I know Cal and Kenny Payne kept him in check.

• MississippiBlue
      1:06 pm July 15, 2020 Permalink

He would’ve most likely had several on or off the court issues at a place like that? I imagine you’re not familiar with the quality of student that goes to Howard?

• Alex90
      10:55 am July 17, 2020 Permalink

Lol I’m familiar with Cousins and I’m familiar with teenagers. Take that quality bs out of here it doesn’t matter where you go

5. chris43
    9:21 am July 15, 2020 Permalink

Hmmm why should African Americans start choosing a HBCU? Aren’t all universities American? Aren’t we all Americans? Isn’t this kinda “selective segregation”….AKA I’m black and therefore I need to attend an all black college NOT one that necessarily fits my skills or God forbid has a mixture of all sorts of people.

6. big cat
    10:02 am July 15, 2020 Permalink

……AND your point is? Who cares really! This is NOT news. Are you folks at KSR THAT bored that you must report this kind of story.

Oh, BTW, I crapped a big terd last night, and it spelled KSR. Report that….LOL.

7. WatchutalkinboutWillis
    10:15 am July 15, 2020 Permalink

The athletes don’t benefit from the business? At all??? Is he not in the pros drafted because of his skill and here he played? This narrative is out of control. Athletes do benefit from the business of college basketball, disproportionately yes, but there is still benefit. And what college you pick matters. I don’t understand picking a black college for basketball. Or anything honestly. If Tyler Herro came to U.K. And said he picked us because we were a historically white school…how would that have gone over? It is a ridiculous reason. But each person is free to make that decision themselves. Isn’t America great?

• chris43
      10:57 am July 15, 2020 Permalink

Bingo! If a white player said it they’d be considered racist! In fact are there any universities that are all WHITE? I highly doubt it!

• MississippiBlue
      12:34 pm July 15, 2020 Permalink

You do understand that UK, and a majority of the power 5 institutions are the white equivalent to HBCU. Again, the name is Historically Black College or University and not All-Black college. There’s no rules or admissions policies that bar non black students from enrolling, which is some non black students chose to attend them as well. It’s an opportunity for them to chose an institution that fits their academic, professional and social interest. What’s wrong with that?