DeMarcus Cousins: Calipari can “walk into the sunset” at Kentucky

One day, John Calipari will leave Kentucky, but count DeMarcus Cousins among those who believe it will be for retirement, not the NBA.

“I don’t think so,” Cousins told Jeff Goodman when asked if he thinks Cal will go to the NBA again. “He’s in a position to walk into the sunset. He’s in the perfect place.”

Cousins added that if Calipari did want to go back to the NBA, he’d be better prepared than the first time around due to his experience coaching one-and-dones.

“He was young. You live and learn. He’s dealt with all types of personnel, future pros, and that’s prepared himself to deal with pros.”

After last night’s loss, it sounds like some of you would prefer Cal to just go to the pros, but if history has taught us anything, nobody is better at getting young talent to come together in March than him.

[mobile_ad]

18 Comments for DeMarcus Cousins: Calipari can “walk into the sunset” at Kentucky

1. KYcats11
    10:33 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

It’s crazy to even think of someone wanting Cal gone.

2. BBNDan7
    10:58 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

Anybody who wants cal gone is a moron

3. oleblue
    11:12 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

No real UK fan would want Coach Cal gone. I hope some of this year’s team comes back next year though!

4. Bluebloodtoo
    11:30 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

No idea if calipari could find passion in corporate sports management, but I bet he’d be a really good SEC commissioner.

5. Duff86
    11:35 am January 17, 2018 Permalink

No one with a sane mind wants Coach Cal gone. Last night was a tough loss but this team will be fine by March. How many times have we seen this before? I sense 2010-2011 all over again. Brandon Knight is not walking though that door but Jarred Vanderbilt just did. We’ll be fine.

6. AdamN
    12:09 pm January 17, 2018 Permalink

Anybody else nervous that Cal might retire after winning his next championship? And truly “walk into the sunset”.

7. mikeintn
    12:18 pm January 17, 2018 Permalink

Only time I want Cal gone if he truly wants to retire, wait a minute, I still don’t want him gone!

8. I could be wrong, but I’m not confident Cal could make it in the NBA. In the 30 for 30 they talked about how his screaming didn’t go over well, and I don’t think he can change now. Who knows? I just hope he retires at UK and can maybe be a mentor to a new coach the way Joe B has with him (at least in the beginning it seems). Of course it had been a long time since Joe was the coach. The next coach might think of it as Cal looking over his shoulder and interfering.

• To explain, I remember reading that Coach Hall was at practice early on with Cal (before Wall & company had gotten there). He put his hand on Cal’s shoulder and told him he’d be fine when Cal couldn’t believe how bad the team looked and had his face in his hands. I know Cal has also talked about Joe B telling him that no one can last more than 10 years in that job. I thought “Don’t tell him that Coach!” 🙂

• J-Dub421
      1:16 pm January 17, 2018 Permalink

Cal still talks to Joe B all the time.

• Yeah, I remember the other article recently that talked about how much Coach Hall was revived by Cal’s friendship and having him involved with the program. Very heartwarming.

• Luether
      3:42 pm January 17, 2018 Permalink

“Heartwarming” doesn’t win C’ships…

9. Bluebloodtoo
    4:54 pm January 17, 2018 Permalink

Well, Cal started dropping hints early this season. He said something like… I’m going to retire, probably sooner rather than later.
    What worries me a little bit is how New Orleans is collecting UK players.

10. AFR0_SAMURAii
    7:08 pm January 17, 2018 Permalink

I personally can’t wait for him to retire, so he gets recruits.. none elite as of lately.. but watching randoms year after year and just to lose in the tournament gets old, id rather have 5 seniors who i got to know on the floor instead of 5 over hyped under iQ’d kids run the show.. plus everyone knows cal cant coach in the final 5 minutes or teach kids to properly shoot free throws… imagine how many more titles we’d have if he did/could… i’ll wait

• natertatter
      9:54 pm January 19, 2018 Permalink

you are not a true fan…..cal is perfect for uk….root for loserville ….moron……