Defendants in College Hoops Trial found guilty of fraud

After three days of deliberation, the jury in the college hoops trial finally reached a verdict.

The jury found Adidas executive Jim Gatto, former Adidas consultant Merl Code and would-be agent Christian Dawkins guilty on all seven counts of wire fraud and conspiracy to commit wire fraud. This means the jury bought the prosecution’s argument that the schools were the victims because Gatto, Code, and Dawkins paid recruits in a way that would make them ineligible by NCAA rules, therefore defrauding the schools of the scholarships. If that sentence seems ridiculous, it’s because it is.

What does this mean for the programs named during the trial like Kansas, Louisville, and NC State? The NCAA can use the testimony and evidence from the trial to investigate those programs, or not. It’s up to them. As for Gatto, Code, and Dawkins, sentencing is scheduled for March 5 at 10 a.m. They’re expected to appeal the decision.

I think I speak for us all when I say, now what?

UPDATE: Mike Rutherford of SBNation has an excellent breakdown of the winners and losers in the trial which I suggest you check out to make sense of it all.

[mobile_ad]

23 Comments for Defendants in College Hoops Trial found guilty of fraud

1. runningunnin.454
    3:50 pm October 24, 2018 Permalink

And the NCAA will return innocent verdicts for Kansas and Arizona; victims my a$$.

2. ukblue22
    3:55 pm October 24, 2018 Permalink

Can I suggest that whoever runs this page makes the links to other sites open in another tab or window so people don’t have to click back to this site?

• jaws2
      4:16 pm October 24, 2018 Permalink

That’s WAAAAAAY over KSR’s head!

• ukblue22
      5:38 pm October 24, 2018 Permalink

Directing traffic away from your site just doesn’t strike me as the best business decision.

• ukjaybrat
      5:42 pm October 24, 2018 Permalink

If you’re using a mouse, click the middle link with the scroll button. In most browsers, that will open a new tab. If you’re on mobile, I don’t know what to tell you. Long press and open in new tab works on Android. Dunno about apple.

• J-Dub421
      5:50 pm October 24, 2018 Permalink

You can also right click and open the article in a new window or tab.

• CATandMONKEY
      9:44 am October 25, 2018 Permalink

If you simply hold down the link (on Android) it will give an option to open link in a new window.

3. Realme
    4:15 pm October 24, 2018 Permalink

The NCAA still won’t start investigating, because the trials of assistant coaches involved haven’t begun yet.

4. BBNJeffrey
    4:16 pm October 24, 2018 Permalink

Why do I smell something rotten about this? The NCAA has a history of picking and choosing sides. Runningunnin I agree with you 100% .

5. Bluebloodtoo
    4:41 pm October 24, 2018 Permalink

This all seems too vanilla. Why did the judge keep other information out of the trial? Seems shady.

6. kbo24
    4:41 pm October 24, 2018 Permalink

I could be wrong (it’s happened before), but I believe that in order for the schools to be the victims here that they would have to have no knowledge of what was happening. Based on the testimony, I don’t know how you could come to that conclusion. Reps of the schools are wire tapped talking to BAGMEN…about things bagmen carry. These people’s jobs were to be bagmen. How does a school associate themselves with people of this nature and not know what they do? Plausible deniability may be a thing, but to me, it’s not plausible at all to believe the schools (and coachings staffs) didn’t know what was going on…

• timbo
      5:25 pm October 24, 2018 Permalink

You’re conflating things. A “school” is not represented by any one person or persons, especially someone(s) within the athletic department. Not only that, but the “victims” of the wire fraud (at least as I would more likely see it) can be the schools that DIDNT get a player because someone committed wire fraud by paying said player (and thus defrauding those other schools of something of value potentially).

7. UKfanman01
    6:08 pm October 24, 2018 Permalink

Zion was named. Which would implicate Duke. Nothing will happen, plain and simple

8. ukcats1776.90
    6:58 pm October 24, 2018 Permalink

I agree that it’s not the schools fault. Adidas (and in the near future, nike) organized and facilitated the NCAA violations. the schools here (and UK in the near future) are only guilty of not doing more to step in front of a speeding train conducted by these greedy sports’ brands. these schools had a duty to give their schools good teams, not police private companies…..this is the argument coach cal and UK will need to make when the FBI investigation of nike ties UK up in this.

9. ukcats1776.90
    7:01 pm October 24, 2018 Permalink

mrs. tyler Thompson is a stupid woman so she doesnt understand the situation.

• 4everUKblue
      7:26 pm October 24, 2018 Permalink

Good thing you’re a genius…

• antiquefurnitureandmidgets
      7:29 pm October 24, 2018 Permalink

You strike me as someone who doesn’t get a lot of dates.

• ukcats1776.90
      8:11 pm October 24, 2018 Permalink

women are stupid. which is why it’s easy to get dates

• cats646
      10:41 pm October 24, 2018 Permalink

Ha wtf is happening here?!

• Kat4Life
      11:00 pm October 24, 2018 Permalink

Even a moron can access the internet

• J-Dub421
      11:33 pm October 24, 2018 Permalink

Bill Self is on recordings/texts arranging for Adidas to pay players to get them to go to Kansas. You are the stupid one who doesn’t understand the situation.

10. Nickerbocker05
    7:08 pm October 24, 2018 Permalink

If the NCAA was consistent in holding the same standards for ALL SCHOOLS, Kansa and Zion would be in trouble but since they are UK’s top competition they won’t do a DAMN THING to them! Mark my words.

• 4everUKblue
      7:27 pm October 24, 2018 Permalink

If it involved Cal or anything UK, they wouldn’t even have to think about it.