De’Aaron Fox’s status is “day-to-day”

de-aaron-fox-12

It’s the question on everyone’s mind: what’s the latest on De’Aaron Fox’s ankle? Hopefully we’ll get a bigger update from John Calipari in his press conference this afternoon, but for now, a UK spokesman says Fox is listed as “day-to-day” after turning his ankle in the first half of the South Carolina game. On Saturday, Calipari suggested the injury wasn’t too serious.

“I think it might’ve been a stinger, I don’t know. But something hit his ankle,” Cal said after the game. “He is in a boot but they said there is no swelling, so I don’t know.”

If the injury’s not that bad, I still say sit Fox for the Tennessee game to make sure he’s ready to roll for Kansas. Let Dominique Hawkins run the point and hope Isaiah Briscoe doesn’t turn in another clunker.

12 Comments for De’Aaron Fox’s status is “day-to-day”

1. RC
    11:06 am January 23, 2017 Permalink

Aren’t we all?

But while we’re talking about Fox, let me ask- what’s the deal with Briscoe the past few games? He’s not playing well and it’s hurting us. Almost seems like he’s playing too selfishly, trying to make things more difficult to showcase his skills.

Briscoe is a very good college player, but he’s not a future NBA player. He can’t shoot and doesn’t sky. Earth-bound point guards who can’t shoot don’t make NBA rosters. I believe he’s trying too hard to prove otherwise.

• arebeebee
      11:51 am January 23, 2017 Permalink

He can’t shoot? He’s shooting 50% and 36% behind the arc. The dude can score at will when he drives. Yes, he’s selfish at times, but this isn’t last year. The kid is a way better shooter now.

• RC
      1:32 pm January 23, 2017 Permalink

Briscoe plays below the rim. That’s OK in college but not in The Association. And if you think he’s shooting it well enough from range to play in the NBA then you simply don’t watch the NBA.

Past 2 games: 4-16 FG, 0-4 3-PT, 7 assts, 9 turnovers.
      Past 4 games: 18-40 FG, 2-7 3-PT, 17 assts, 14 turnovers
      All SEC games: 33-74 FG, 6-12 3-PT, 36 assts, 18 turnovers

There’s a trend emerging past 2-4 games and it’s not good. Briscoe played great at Vandy but declining since. Saturday vs. Kansas will be a big test, obviously. We need him.

• ukisgr8
      3:34 pm January 23, 2017 Permalink

The last game he prepped and practiced to be a wing guy and had to step in a point over a long period of time. That’s tough so that hurt him. The game before was just an off night. If the trend continue to 5 or 6 games. I’d be more worried

• Catsby80
      4:01 pm January 23, 2017 Permalink

RC… People go through slumps. Judge him based on his performance when we get to the NCAA tournament. Playing against the best usually brings out the best in others.

2. kfwa
    11:33 am January 23, 2017 Permalink

I thought just the opposite – with Fox out I was wondering why Briscoe didn’t play like he did when Fox got into foul trouble

Briscoe can pretty much score at will driving the basket and instead it seemed he deferred to Dominique in the last game.

Based on his ability to score, it almost seems to me he is underutilized , but then again, I guess we don’t need it if Monk and Fox are making things happen.

3. UK Big Board Update
    11:45 am January 23, 2017 Permalink

He’s fine.

4. az1006
    12:44 pm January 23, 2017 Permalink

Briscoe has had two uncharacteristically bad games…It happens. It happens to the best to ever play, and it will almost certainly happen to kids at the college level. Keep in mind…He’s still just a sophomore.

His trouble the other night were the turnovers, plain and simple. He rarely turns it over, and he had 7 of them. ONly attempted 2 shots the entire game. Look for him to get back on track and have a big game Tuesday.

AS for Fox…Sure seemed ok after the injury. Think he’ll be fine.

5. FLCatFan4Ever
    12:51 pm January 23, 2017 Permalink

Before suggesting sit Fox for the TN game so he can be ready for Kansas, you might want to think back to Knoxville last year. It is an SEC game, and TN will likely play out of their minds. I would love to win both. But, the TN game will be tough. I was there in 2012, when Anthony, MKG, and friends barely got out alive.

• ukisgr8
      3:37 pm January 23, 2017 Permalink

I agree, if Fox can go, he needs to go and play through it unless it’s a high ankle sprain which it doesn’t sound like because they wouldn’t be saying day to day. Put some tall boys on and go. Now I might play Hawkins a little more than usual but we can’t go long periods with Briscoe playing the point

6. jaws2
    2:14 pm January 23, 2017 Permalink

We’re playing at TN, it’s an SEC away game. We’ll be playing against 8 as usual, and they’ll play out of their minds, as usual. Expect it, it’s business as usual.

7. AGSlater
    3:58 pm January 23, 2017 Permalink

If Briscoe cant get to the rim and is letting people beat him off the dribble he ia not an effective player. His shooting just isnt good enough. Imagine his ability to get to the basket and Monks shooting game. Would b a hell of a player