In a best of seven series, De’Aaron Fox thinks an NBA team comprised of Kentucky Wildcats could beat the NBA Champion Golden State Warriors. Fox was asked the question in an interview with our friend Aaron Torres, who, coincidentally, will host KSR in just a few weeks when Matt goes out of town. Torres interviewed Fox this week for an in-depth interview for Fox Sports that will come out next week, but he couldn’t help but share this tidbit with the Big Blue Nation a few days in advance. Who would Fox include on the Kentucky team to beat the Warriors?

“I’m going to have John [Wall] at the point guard, Devin [Booker] at the two. At the three, I’d say Michael Kidd-Gilchrist just to guard KD [Kevin Durant]. But now you’ve got Boogie [Cousins], AD [Anthony Davis] and Karl [Anthony Towns] for two spots. I’m going to bring Karl off the bench just because he’s the youngest. That’s my only reason, because he’s the youngest. But that’s my starting five.”

Including MKG to guard Durant? Man, we knew Fox was smart, but that’s brilliant. To see the rest of Fox’s All-Kentucky team, head on over to Fox Sports. And then weigh in on whether or not you think he’s right in the comments.

[Fox Sports]

22 Comments for De’Aaron Fox thinks an All-Kentucky NBA team could beat the Golden State Warriors

1. blackmilk23
    10:18 am June 16, 2017 Permalink

The problem with this theory is that there is no way Devin Booker can effectively guard anyone on their wing.

• bhb71
      11:27 am June 16, 2017 Permalink

Booker could guard Klay Thompson, he wouldn’t be that tough to guard

2. tlwood43
    10:26 am June 16, 2017 Permalink

If it’s truly an all UK team, can we get Pat Riley to coach it? Cal can be GM.

3. BBNDan7
    10:28 am June 16, 2017 Permalink

As much as I love his confidence with that…MKG still can’t guard KD, that’s not enough offensive firepower to keep up with the warriors, and Devin can’t guard like anyone. Best of 7 series that starting 5 vs GS I’d take the warriors in 5

• Sentient Third Eye
      10:43 am June 16, 2017 Permalink

So you’re saying the UK team would tie the Cavs as the second-best team in the league?

• ukcamel
      12:32 pm June 16, 2017 Permalink

The UK starting 5 would at least keep it close. You are talking about 3 all-stars in Wall, Cousins and Davis, and the Warriors biggest weakness is against big, talented front courts (remember Memphis?). Even if the starting 5 didn’t win it for UK, the difference in the bench is astronomical. Being able to bring in Towns, Bledsoe, and Randle (assuming Kanter doesn’t count here, even though Cal says he does) in, not to mention having the end of your bench be Noel and Knight and Lyles or Jones. This is not even considering whether Fox or Monk could contribute as rookies.

• BBNDan7
      1:01 pm June 16, 2017 Permalink

Camel- you have to factor a salary cap in there somehow. That’s too much money. Fox says starting 5+1 so that starting 5 and towns against warriors 5+1, I’d take the warriors still

• ukcamel
      2:08 pm June 16, 2017 Permalink

That’s fair, and like I said, the starting five vs. starting five would be close. I can’t dismiss the possibility that either would win. You would be talking about five great players including three all-stars on the Kentucky side and four great players including KD, who is maybe the best or second-best player in the NBA, on the Warriors side. (Also the gap between Towns and the Warriors sixth guy is huge – Andre Iguadala I guess.)

Also you have to account for the team having a year or two to practice and play together an gel. Obviously if you just threw them out there right now to play the Warriors would smoke them.

4. Wilfred Smith
    10:55 am June 16, 2017 Permalink

The bench. Bring in Towns, Fox, Monk, Nerlens, Bledsoe, Knight, Patterson.

I’m 100% big blue homer and I’ll take the shot with that squad.

• BigBlueMeade
      10:57 am June 16, 2017 Permalink

Exactly. You wouldn’t necessarily beat their starting 5, but you don’t have to. An all UK team would DESTROY their bench players all the way to the last man in the game for the UK team.

5. BigBlueMeade
    10:58 am June 16, 2017 Permalink

But do you bring in Liggins to guard Steph on certain possessions?

• the ghost of Bill Hicks
      1:05 pm June 16, 2017 Permalink

hell yes you do!

• 4everblue
      1:36 pm June 16, 2017 Permalink

Without a doubt you do!

6. Earned Not Given
    11:07 am June 16, 2017 Permalink

He’s not wrong.

7. UK Fan In Nashville
    11:10 am June 16, 2017 Permalink

I think AD would guard KD. Have three forwards with KAT, Boogie, and AD. And go John Wall and Devin Booker at the guards. Karl and AD can both shoot the three and run the floor really well for big men. Monk and Fox would be the sixth and seventh men. Murray would also be in the mix for playing time.

8. Bluebloodtoo
    11:12 am June 16, 2017 Permalink

No offense to Fox, but I’m putting MKG on Steph and AD is guarding KD. Boogie is guarding Draymond Green because you know that’s going to be interesting until one of them fouls out.

9. Jazz1124
    12:20 pm June 16, 2017 Permalink

I don’t understand why people wouldn’t think an all UK team would beat the warriors? Their whole roster vs our roster would be severely outmatched in UKs favor. That team would for sure win in 5 or 6 and maybe sweep them. That’s gotta be a joke.

10. BBNDan7
    1:00 pm June 16, 2017 Permalink

Sentinel- no? That’s not what that means at all. I don’t think they would beat the Cavs in a series either.

11. BBNDan7
    1:03 pm June 16, 2017 Permalink

Y’all realize that you have to factor in a salary cap right? You can’t just pick any U.K. Player and the current warriors and say that’s fair. I know it’s hypothetical but still. Otherwise you’d have to let the warriors add players to their bench as well

12. D0nc0smic
    1:52 pm June 16, 2017 Permalink

This is a no brained, the only real question is could they beat the all non Kentucky NBA team.

13. Al B. Frank
    3:13 pm June 16, 2017 Permalink

I love the fact that Fox knows his UK history and those great players that came before him that are currently in the NBA.

As for the salary cap issue, I don’t believe he was asked about that. I believe the question was whether or not an all UK NBA team could beat the NBA champs.

The person quipping that you would have to just let the Warriors add players to their bench does not understand the question. It’s all-UK vs. current champs, as is. It’s simple.