De’Aaron Fox invited UK fan to his in-home visit with Calipari

deaaronfox-visit

De’Aaron Fox is my new favorite basketball recruit and it’s not even close.

In case you missed it in the morning post, Fox hosted two special visitors in his home last night in Texas. The first was John Calipari, who made the long trip to Fox’s home to sell him on the idea of being the next great point guard at the University of Kentucky. UK assistant Kenny Payne tagged along because the staff is all-in on Fox as the top option at PG in the 2016 recruiting class.

The second special visitor was Seth Barnett, one of Fox’s friends and classmates at Cypress Lakes High School. Barnett is a lifelong Kentucky basketball fan and Fox invited him to be a part of the visit with John Calipari. How cool is that?!

I spoke to Barnett’s mother this morning and she told me they are originally from Salyersville, Kentucky and moved to the Houston area for her husband’s job, living only a few miles from the nation’s top high school point guard. They still have a home back in Magoffin County.

She assured me Seth will do his part in helping John Calipari out with the recruitment. If Fox ends up in Lexington next season, we may owe Seth a thank you card.

Here is UK’s new lead recruiter with his UK jacket, signed by Calipari and Payne last night:

12033472_10153674190546983_894790124_n12047663_10153674190556983_2074125445_n 12004700_10153672999756983_7399446384198347495_n

What an awesome gesture by Fox to invite his friend and diehard UK fan; and what an awesome night for Seth to meet the head coach of his beloved Wildcats.

Article written by Drew Franklin

48 Comments for De’Aaron Fox invited UK fan to his in-home visit with Calipari

1. Ukbradstith
    11:11 am September 22, 2015 Permalink

Wow. Just wow. Awesome story. We really want this kid now.

• WeareBBN
      6:15 pm September 22, 2015 Permalink

Just the perfect type of young man we want at UK, and we have been getting. Plus they have all been pretty good basketball players.

2. Joe Dennison
    11:13 am September 22, 2015 Permalink

I am so impressed with De’Aaron for this gesture. What a remarkable guy to do this and make Seth’s day, week, year, all time. Thanks De.

3. Martina Navratilova
    11:18 am September 22, 2015 Permalink

Regardless where this young man ends up playing basketball, I will pull for him and be a fan. What a class act for such a young person. Good luck young man

4. android guy
    11:20 am September 22, 2015 Permalink

This is the cool news story of the week for me!

5. inside info2
    11:25 am September 22, 2015 Permalink

Great story. I love when high character and high ability coexist. Hope he decides to come to Lexington, but he will be successful in whatever he chooses to do and wherever he chooses to go.

6. James
    11:28 am September 22, 2015 Permalink

Most of us don’t have that kind of awareness about other people’s interest and needs much less share a visit that is focused on acknowledging how we talented we are. Fox is a very special person.

7. Nick Cormwn
    11:31 am September 22, 2015 Permalink

What a great young man! Not trying to jinx it, but I’m sure he is coming to kentucky! My new favorite recruit/future player!

8. What Does De'Fox Say
    11:32 am September 22, 2015 Permalink

Wow, that is awesome. De’Aaron get’s it and understands the impact he can make both on and off the court. That is special. I hope he chooses UK, but if not he is clearly a class act who will be successful wherever he goes and I will root for him (just maybe not his team).

Keep the full court press on him, Seth!

9. Bluebros
    11:35 am September 22, 2015 Permalink

Texas representing UK!! Seth is holding it down for us Cat fans living in the Lone Star. Look at his outfit… True blue from head to toe! Love it

10. kentuckyloan
    11:37 am September 22, 2015 Permalink

That is cool

11. Laker Cat 18
    11:39 am September 22, 2015 Permalink

This looks like a Bobby Bones’ “Tell Me Something Good” story.

I’ll be shocked if Fox is not the next Cat to come aboard.

12. KevinM
    11:42 am September 22, 2015 Permalink

Looks like a fit for what Cal wants out of the gate.

Terrific story.

13. CATandMONKEY
    11:45 am September 22, 2015 Permalink

Just…awesome. We want Fox. Great story.

14. ToddO
    11:46 am September 22, 2015 Permalink

What a quality young man to think of his classmate. I already like the kid and couldn’t tell you a lick about his basketball stats.

15. Katmancsm
    12:02 pm September 22, 2015 Permalink

Great gesture by a young man who gets it. Too many his age think It’s all about me. I hope he chooses to be a Cat. If not, I wish him the best.

16. J-Dub421
    12:06 pm September 22, 2015 Permalink

What a lovely gesture. Great story, thanks for posting it Drew.

17. Chris A. Stone
    12:25 pm September 22, 2015 Permalink

Just the type of student-athlete we have come to expect at KY. Our guys have done so much over the years for their communities. It shows their selflessness, exactly what Cal wants from his players on, and off, the court! The type of player we (BBN) want. I agree with a lot of you. Fox will probably be very successful wherever he decides to go. But, I have a feeling he’s going to end up at KY! Just a hunch…

• BtownUKFan
      12:44 pm September 22, 2015 Permalink

Exactly. That’s the kind of kid we want playing at Kentucky. He has already experienced some of the fervor of the BBN. GO CATS !!

18. Nancy Doyle
    12:27 pm September 22, 2015 Permalink

What an awesome young man. Wherever he goes, he will be ‘the man”.

19. Doug Pelfrey's Facemask
    12:48 pm September 22, 2015 Permalink

Impressive young man. Hope he becomes a Cat!

Also, I like that it looks like Cal is now signing autographs with “HOF ’15”.

20. Rich
    12:51 pm September 22, 2015 Permalink

Great story! Much admiration for De’Aaron Fox, hope he picks the Cats!

21. BAdams
    1:24 pm September 22, 2015 Permalink

Absolutely want this kid now. He already follows the selflessness so many of our guys have possessed.

22. BlueRedneck
    1:30 pm September 22, 2015 Permalink

De’Aaron is just the kind of player that we need at UK. He will be a perfect fit for the program, to go along with the many other high character recruits that Cal has brought on board. Come on down, Mr. Fox!

23. Chandra
    1:45 pm September 22, 2015 Permalink

AWESOME! This is an amazing young man! Hope he chooses UK. We would be blessed to have him. Thanks for posting this story.

24. WildcatJudi
    1:49 pm September 22, 2015 Permalink

Interesting that this UK fan has eyes for our recruit!! He can’t take his eyes off of him!! Obviously he is a FOX fan too. Love this!

25. Hartline
    2:44 pm September 22, 2015 Permalink

Never wanted a recruit more than this guy now. Go Cats.

26. sckysportsink
    2:53 pm September 22, 2015 Permalink

Wow! I didn’t expect to tear-up reading KSR today (family related). What an awesome gesture. Best of luck to De’Aaron wherever he goes.

27. JandPsDad
    3:34 pm September 22, 2015 Permalink

Saw this on Twitter – read the whole story – been smiling ever since…
    #WeAreUK

28. Don Miller
    5:43 pm September 22, 2015 Permalink

After reading this if Fox comes to KY that would be great but I’ll still be a huge fan if he doesn’t. I hope along with his good sense of who he is and where he comes from that he wears the Blue next year.

29. New De'Aaron Fox Fan
    6:35 pm September 22, 2015 Permalink

Regardless of where this kid goes, he’s my new favorite recruit. Possibly ever. Such a sweet thing to do.

30. dgtuk
    6:59 pm September 22, 2015 Permalink

Great story…wonder how long until Jerry Tipton calls the NCAA to see if somehow this is a recruiting violation 🙂 !

31. Michele
    7:22 pm September 22, 2015 Permalink

Maybe I’m just a Bias UK fan but in all my time following this team and College hoops in General has their ever been a gesture so selfless at this stage. I mean what is he 18? And to not make the Visit all about Him he goes out of his way to do this. Unbelievable he Could go to Louisville and I’d be rooting for his Success. Just not on game night when they play UK!!

32. Mike
    8:38 pm September 22, 2015 Permalink

First class move by Da’Aaron. This is the type of selfless behavior that the University of Kentucky embodies. He would fit right in with a long list of greats under Cal, not only on the court but also in the community. I’ll be rooting for his success wherever he plays.

33. Wand
    9:48 pm September 22, 2015 Permalink

Hope we spot Seth at Rupp watching his friend play next year. Two fine young men.

34. Boogie DMC
    11:39 pm September 22, 2015 Permalink

Cal has to love that Fox is on the same page with him this early in the game. Hope the kid joins the Big Blue Nation. Closest thing to John Wall since John Wall.

• UKALLDAY
      5:03 am September 23, 2015 Permalink

Co-sign, he reminds me of a left handed John Wall. In everyday including their demeanor on and off the court.

• UKALLDAY
      5:04 am September 23, 2015 Permalink

In every way***

35. David
    11:54 pm September 22, 2015 Permalink

what impresses me most though is in both pictures where Cal is posing with Seth and De’Aaron, Seth is looking up at his friend and not at coach–that’s love and appreciation–as if to say thank you for making this possible for me–a picture is worth more than words

36. R. Pimentel Friend
    11:58 pm September 22, 2015 Permalink

When I look at the positive role models in the pictures above, it just makes me want to work harder in providing support for all people born with unique challenges. I dislike the word disability. I prefer the word “unique challenge”. They just need opportunity.

37. Tex Cat
    12:25 am September 23, 2015 Permalink

I am a UK alum that just happens to live in Katy Tx. Coach Cal and Coach Payne were probably just a few miles away from where I reside. I agree with the above comments saying that wherever he ends up, we will always respect him. I hope he chooses UK. Btw, the Harrison twins went to high school about 10-15 minutes away from his high school…. so Cal knows the area. Go Big Blue!!!

38. Ptperry
    8:00 am September 23, 2015 Permalink

I agree he is now my favorite recruit of all time. What a great young man. I will cheer for him wherever he goes.

39. jdarren1963
    8:16 am September 23, 2015 Permalink

I don’t care if Fox is the worst basketball player ever, I want him on the team. If he decides to not come to Kentucky, I will still root for him and wish him the very best.

40. John Longard
    8:20 am September 23, 2015 Permalink

On a day when it could have been all about me, this young man demonstrates servant leadership. Cal won’t have to teach him this. #he’sgotit

41. nschulte13
    8:56 am September 23, 2015 Permalink

Now that is a Cal kind of recruit. This kind of stuff needs to be talked about more. I know these kids already get a ton of attention and do not do these kinds of gestures because they want even more, but because they are just good kids. But there is still a lot of negative imagery around Cal, the type of program Cal runs, and the One and Done kids. I think a little more news about how much good work for special needs kids and the community in general that these teenagers do would help change that. I don’t think Noel’s relationship with that kid (see even a daily reader of KSR can’t remember his name and man do I feel like shit because of it) or WCS, I know there was a little attention payed to the wrist band in the sock and his new tattoo, but the stories all seem like side notes.

And I don’t care what the Louisville or Duke or Indiana haters think, but I think it would do a lot to change the casual fans image of UK, Cal, and these kids. You have no idea how many fans of other teams, not rivals, just fans of the local teams, that I see that say they hate Cal because they think he is a scum bag, and other crap like that because they never see stories like this, or hear Cal go on about how much he values the fact that he has improved the lives of so many of these kids and their families. They just see that stats of how many kids go to the NBA and chalk it up to Cal not caring about them, just wanting to funnel them through to make room for his next batch.

42. Jenny Spann
    10:38 am September 23, 2015 Permalink

This makes me so proud to be a part of BIG BLUE NATION! It has always been those kinds of kids that make us Kentucky Proud! LOVE my Wildcats!!!

43. Down 2 Earth
    1:23 pm September 23, 2015 Permalink

The “HOF ’15” sig. seems a bit pretentious, but he may or may not do
    it for the rest of the season, and he may never do it again… which would
    make it pretty special to have something he signed that way. Also, I can’t
    say that if I was inducted into the Naismith HOF I wouldn’t sign a thing
    or two that way as well. It just feels a bit, ew. If Pitino did it my panties
    would be ALL in a wad. But hey, it’s our Cal so I’ll just laugh, shrug,
    and say GO BIG BLUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great story! Thank you!!!

44. Xavier
    3:17 pm September 23, 2015 Permalink

Very thoughtful gesture. Not many high school kids would be that kind. It would be nice for him to come to Kentucky. Always good to have players with high character.