De’Aaron Fox: “I hope no Kentucky fan would tell Malik [Monk] to stop shooting”

monk

Malik Monk did not have a great night to say the least, going 5-14 from the floor (0-3 from three) for 14 points, 3 rebounds, 4 assists and 5 turnovers. It was a frustrating night for the freshman phenom, who tried to do too much on a night when his shots just weren’t falling. Afterwards, De’Aaron Fox said that even though it wasn’t Malik’s night, you can’t tell him to stop shooting, because more often than not, they’ll go in.

“I tell him keep shooting,” Fox said of Monk. “I hope no Kentucky fan would tell Malik to stop shooting. I definitely won’t. He’s a scorer and the shots will start falling.”

Fox took over the game at the end, finishing with a team-high 21 points. As he said, tonight, he was the one with the hot hand in the second half.

“Whoever has the hot hand is the one who does it. Malik has done it. Isaiah has done it. Tonight was my night.”

Keep shooting, Malik.

24 Comments for De’Aaron Fox: “I hope no Kentucky fan would tell Malik [Monk] to stop shooting”

1. henderblue
    9:48 pm January 17, 2017 Permalink

Absolutely please keep shooting Malik. Maybe make a pass or two first so as to get your feet set and your shoulders square…now go ahead and as far as I’m concerned, take 20 shots a game.

2. Rixter
    9:48 pm January 17, 2017 Permalink

If he’s not hitting shots, hell yeah, I’d tell him to stop shooting. I’ve yet to see a game where he started off cold, then got it going late. if he starts off cold, he’s going to be cold the entire game.
    But, like Cal tells him.. DRIVE THE BALL. He has the ability to get to the rim as well as anyone

3. TeddyD
    9:48 pm January 17, 2017 Permalink

De’Aaron is a leader, this is exactly what needed to be said. Keep feeding the beast!

• Rixter
      9:50 pm January 17, 2017 Permalink

Yep, keep clanking shots with 30 seconds on the clock

4. Hot Stuff Eddie Gilbert
    9:50 pm January 17, 2017 Permalink

He is taking awful shots. How about taking a decent shot once in awhile.

• THE William Hill
      11:18 pm January 17, 2017 Permalink

When was the last time you scored 47 in a Division I NCAA game, troll?

• AGSlater
      12:27 am January 18, 2017 Permalink

Every even semi-negative post is a “troll” post. Im sure you still think Humphries is solid and Briscoe is a great jump shooter

5. catsarerunnin
    9:51 pm January 17, 2017 Permalink

Take it to the rim if the 3 ain’t fallin.

6. Rixter
    9:59 pm January 17, 2017 Permalink

Off the topic, somebody explain how De’Aaron Fox hit his first 21 free throws this year and has shot around 50% since?

• RexRox
      10:06 pm January 17, 2017 Permalink

Wondered about this myself … He’s actually hit 53 of 85 since then, for 62%. Big advantage if your point guard hits at least 80% from the line.

• EdC
      7:48 am January 18, 2017 Permalink

No shot routine. Same for way too many of our guys under Cal. They just pop up there and shoot it without thinking. I get that is what you have to do with a jump shot but Macy’s shot routine at the line didn’t hurt his jump shot. There’s a reason pro golfers ALL have a routine on putts. It hones focus.

7. TeddyD
    10:05 pm January 17, 2017 Permalink

The point I was trying to make was that De’Aaron is a leader, not that Monk is taking good shots. And to explain De’Aaron’s free throw misses is that he is getting tired and wearing down at this point. This will build strength in him and he will not miss come the end of the year.

8. scwhite9
    10:08 pm January 17, 2017 Permalink

Shooters gonna shoot. Good advice, De’Aaron.

9. Catlogic15
    10:18 pm January 17, 2017 Permalink

Fast forward eight weeks….Malik has bad shooting night, Cats get in foul trouble…Cats go home. You can see it coming.

• catsarerunnin
      8:23 am January 18, 2017 Permalink

Clairvoyant? Got ESPn?

• catdaddyd
      12:49 pm January 19, 2017 Permalink

I predicted last year’s lost to IU. Both guards clunking shots and we went home early. Same scenario could happen if he doesn’t pass to a wide open player ahead of him. On three occasions he had someone open and took a bad shot.

10. kentuckybackupplayer
    10:23 pm January 17, 2017 Permalink

Monk was not as open on a lot of his shots tonight. fading back, sideways, etc. he will be fine just needs to keep working on getting more open for better shots.

11. T-wah
    12:10 am January 18, 2017 Permalink

One thing that concerns me is the growing attitude and mouthiness that we’re starting to see out of Monk and Briscoe toward Cal during games. Granted, he is yelling like a lunatic lately; but I’m starting to sense some chemistry issues.

• UK Big Board Update
      12:15 am January 18, 2017 Permalink

Solid first post….

• Blue Jesus
      12:18 am January 18, 2017 Permalink

If you’re referring to the exchange after the technical on Monk’s dunk, I think Briscoe at least was yelling at the official or a player or something, didn’t look like he was facing directly at Cal–I replayed that to check for the same thing (if you’re referring to something else, so be it). But yeah, Monk looked a little out of order in that exchange, though I’ll chalk it up to emotions in the moment.

• EdC
      7:50 am January 18, 2017 Permalink

I think he or she is referring to a trend that I too have noticed over the last few games. Probably a result of Cal’s crackdown on accountability and discipline that started a few weeks ago.

12. kjd
    7:40 am January 18, 2017 Permalink

What I would tell Malik Monk: Get back on defense as fast as you do with the ball on a fast break. You can be a better defender.

13. EdC
    7:52 am January 18, 2017 Permalink

I remember Brandon Knight shooting us out of the NCAA tournament with the keep shooting mentality when about 1/2 the team was hitting a far higher percentage than he was. A shooter has to shoot out of it but when you are trying to win a game there is a time to be a team player and stop trying to be Carmello Anthony.

In general, yea, keep shooting BUT take better shots. Drive LIKE CAL HAS BEEN PREACHING instead of off balance 3s. Get a few more assists.

14. BBNBRIAN
    8:29 am January 18, 2017 Permalink

Look at Monk’s best games. He performs in the spotlight, not in dumps like Starkville. I have all the confidence in the world in Monk come tournament time.