Dangit, Pat Forde wrote something nice about Kentucky today

You’re looking at Margaret Swindler, a Kentucky basketball fan that’s the subject of an article today by Pat Forde. Yes, the same Pat Forde who hates John Calipari. Yes, coincidentally, the same Pat Forde that three years ago today, wrote an article telling Calipari to lie in the bed he made after Kentucky’s loss at South Carolina. I actually had an entire post dedicated to the three-year anniversary of said article ready for today, but then Forde had to go and write a great article like this one. Prick.

Anyways, odds are you know someone like Margaret Swindler. Before passing away in 2010 at the age of 88, Swindler had a habit of keeping score during every UK basketball game in a notebook, watching faithfully in front of the TV in a scene that sounds very familiar to many of us:

Here was the ritual: she sat on the floor facing the television and/or radio with her notebook in front of her — and often with notebooks from previous years spread around, for research and comparison purposes. There was always popcorn in a white porcelain bowl. (Scooter, the family dog, loved popcorn — but he learned not to stick his face in the bowl during a Kentucky game. Scooter stayed under the kitchen table when the Cats were playing.)

When the games were televised, Margaret performed the time-honored Kentucky tradition: turn down the volume on the TV and turn up the radio to listen to legendary announcer Cawood Ledford’s call.

Here’s a page one of those notebooks:

Forde couldn’t help but get in one dig at Cal, sneaking in a line about how Margaret’s family knew she wouldn’t have liked the one-and-done system because she got so personally invested in the players. Still, a nice portrait of a fan that makes the Big Blue Nation so unique.

Go check out the rest of Pat’s piece, which I will actually link this time instead of linking a video of baby goats like I usually do with his stuff.

[Passion, pride and Kentucky basketball: The superfan who kept handwritten box scores for 50 years]

19 Comments for Dangit, Pat Forde wrote something nice about Kentucky today

1. TBW3011
    3:54 pm March 2, 2017 Permalink

No thanks. Forde can write an article about me and I’m not clicking on it.

• UKBlue1982
      3:58 pm March 2, 2017 Permalink

Same here. Trolling for clicks. Must have been told to generate some traffic for Yahoo’s dead corpse and he knows very well that Kentucky fans are a prime target.

• Big DAWG Loggin
      4:44 pm March 2, 2017 Permalink

Tyler, please post your article, No mercy.

• BigBlueSkyDog
      7:26 pm March 2, 2017 Permalink

Ditto. Pat Forde doesn’t exist on any of my electronic devices.

2. EconProf97
    4:05 pm March 2, 2017 Permalink

I didn’t click on it either but my grandmother did this as well. She still listened to Cawood and kept score on her yellow pad of paper. When I lived out of state and before the internet (later 80s, early 90s), she would call me at the half and at the end of every game with an update. She sent every article from the paper to me every couple days so I could read everything. She died 12 years ago at 93 but kept score up to the end. She loved every player and loved her Cats. I miss those calls now.

• I have an uncle that kept all the stats in spiral notebooks for YEARS, probably from the 50’s or early 60’s up until when he died several years back.

You have an awesome story! I subscribed to The Cats’ Pause from the mid-eighties (that’s when I found out about it) and up to the early 2000’s, and I live in Bama so I could at least hear some night games on the radio when they weren’t televised. 840 and 1530 come in pretty well at times, and also 700 when they carried the games for a while in the 80’s.

3. jonthes
    4:10 pm March 2, 2017 Permalink

It’s a trap!

4. suppie
    4:15 pm March 2, 2017 Permalink

I want to go as far to say that this does not deserve promotion, but it feels unfair to put this woman’s story in limbo because of the absolute vitriol that I feel for Forde.

I didn’t want to click it, but I did. And I did it to take the credit from Forde.

Read the full story here in plain text (and minus the infinite number of ads on Yahoo): http://pastebin.com/U5u8kAET

5. RealCatsFan
    4:34 pm March 2, 2017 Permalink

Folks like this are a treasure. I am fortunate enough to still have both of my parents still with us in their late 80’s, and I constantly remind myself that every day with them here on earth is a gift. I am going to pick up the phone and give them a call as soon as I finish typing this. 🙂

Margaret sounds like she was one of the true “basketball Bennies” that Cal likes to talk about!

6. ClutchCargo
    4:35 pm March 2, 2017 Permalink

Mrs. TT, I’ll just have to take your word for it, because there’s no way I’m clicking that link.

7. As I stated above, I had an uncle that kept all the stats in spiral notebooks for YEARS, probably from the 50’s or early 60’s up until when he died several years back. This brings back memories of him! So cool.

8. pMikey
    4:43 pm March 2, 2017 Permalink

Drat, she wrote in cursive. I’ll never be able to crack the code .

9. RealCatsFan
    4:49 pm March 2, 2017 Permalink

That team that she wrote about in the picture with Fitch, Daniels, Bogans, Estill, and others was one of my favorite teams. It’s a shame that Bogans sprained his ankle against Wisconsin because otherwise I think that team was destined to win it all – in spite of Dwayne Wade. One of the best interior passing teams I ever saw.

10. runningunnin.454
    6:23 pm March 2, 2017 Permalink

We have three Scottish terriers; they go hide during UK games, too.
    I guess I coach and officiate somewhat loudly.

11. Catcasey1
    6:29 pm March 2, 2017 Permalink

I would not give forde time of day

12. CvilleWildcat
    8:20 am March 3, 2017 Permalink

@MrsTylerThompson….but your goat links are the best!