Dan Shaughnessy doing Dan Shaughnessy things again

I’m not sure there is anyone on the planet who dislikes John Calipari more than the Boston Globe’s Dan Shaughnessy. The curly-haired one has penned many a anti-Calipari pieces for his newspaper over the years, calling him everything from a “snake oil salesman” to a “glorified AAU bag man” and analogizing him to Bill Cosby.

Earlier this year, in a piece saying UMass is pathetic for retiring Calipari’s jersey, Shaughnessy admitted his disdain for Cal dates back 20 years, when Cal refused to allow the Globe in his home on Selection Sunday. The Globe’s beat reporter, Joe Burris, had written a negative report on the Minutemen’s academic standing, and Cal decided he did not want Burris around. Shaughnessy still holds that grudge, two decades later.

Today, two days before UMass retires Cal’s jersey, Shaughnessy is back to his old ways, writing “UMass should vacate decision to honor John Calipari.”

In it, he calls Cal “college basketball’s all-time bag man”:

What an embarrassment for our state university. You’d think our UMass officials would have as much good sense as the president of the University of Memphis, who canceled a Cal celebration after initially thinking it would be a good idea to honor college basketball’s all-time bag man.

If you would like to read Shaughnessy’s entire piece, I’ll advise you to find something better to do with your time. He wants your clicks, and he does not deserve them.

But if you must read his work, here’s his Calipari story from March and the one today.

Article written by Drew Franklin

28 Comments for Dan Shaughnessy doing Dan Shaughnessy things again

1. Lahinch02
    10:59 am December 14, 2015 Permalink

I thought that was a photo Harpo Marx …

2. chimichanga
    11:00 am December 14, 2015 Permalink

This dong doesn’t deserve the attention.

3. Biglaw Dawgin'
    11:02 am December 14, 2015 Permalink

I had to click on the link based on Drew’s linking to it then telling us not to click it. Bravo sir.

• J-Dub421
      11:20 am December 14, 2015 Permalink

I wasn’t going to give that idiot clicks, but you made me curious. That was pretty funny! Well done Drew!

4. Sentient Third Eye
    11:06 am December 14, 2015 Permalink

If you don’t think we should click, why give us a link?

5. nybrasky
    11:07 am December 14, 2015 Permalink

Guys like Shaughnessy, Lupica, etc are not even relevant any more. Who cares what these washed up, and passed up, hacks say about anything? They have a small Baby Boomer following. Without saying stupid stuff, none of the rest of us would even hear their names. They clamor for yesteryear, but need to just go quietly into the sunset.

6. J-Dub421
    11:22 am December 14, 2015 Permalink

Calipari is the only reason UMass was ever relevant to college basketball at any point. They were irrelevant and unknown before Cal, and they fell back into irrelevancy after Cal.

• catdaddyd
      12:22 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

Didn’t Dr J play there?

7. Blueheart
    11:39 am December 14, 2015 Permalink

I wish I could work a job where I could call anyone any name I wanted and have no accountability whatsoever regardless of whether my “reporting” is actually reporting or 100% opinion. I bet that’s a pretty stress-free line of work.

8. scwhite9
    11:39 am December 14, 2015 Permalink

Ironically, I know lots of folks from Memphis who thought it was classless of the University of Memphis to act this way. I live in Tennessee and have for the past 45 years and can tell you that no one in the middle of the state even knew Memphis had a basketball team until Coach Cal got here.

This guy isn’t worthy of our attention.

• catdaddyd
      12:31 pm December 16, 2015 Permalink

They had Keith Lee, a big time college ball player, and went to the Final Four in 1985. They have the best history of all the Tennessee schools that play basketball. I believe they made a final four in the 70’s as well. Not sure in your 45 years you know many sports fans.

9. david8577
    11:54 am December 14, 2015 Permalink

I would pay good money to see a 240 fps slow motion video of him getting punched.

10. Mc12
    11:56 am December 14, 2015 Permalink

This guy is proof that GOD has a since of humor. I’d be willing to bet (but not willing to find out) that Shaughnessy has straight pubic hair.

11. Mc12
    11:57 am December 14, 2015 Permalink

*sense

12. jman3715
    12:15 pm December 14, 2015 Permalink

Someone at Seasons Trading is very confused about their website statistics right now.

13. SarcastiCAT
    12:46 pm December 14, 2015 Permalink

This guy looks like a 58 year old version of Chunk from the Goonies…

14. UKinIN
    12:56 pm December 14, 2015 Permalink

Nice hair. I guess now we know what Troll Babies grow up to be.

15. FBI Informant
    2:18 pm December 14, 2015 Permalink

What did he say that was incorrect? Looks like his opinion is backed up by the facts surrounding Cal’s tenure at UMass. Like it or not, before he got to UK, Cal ran two completely rogue programs in UMass & Memphis. The amount of crime, NCAA issues, legal problems, drug problems, domestic abuse problems, etc, far outweighed the norm, and outshined the winning. Just bc it doesn’t appear that he runs the same type of program at UK, shouldn’t dismiss the pathetic programs that proceeded. Even our own Matt Jones called him out before the title game at Memphis, and he was completely justified in doing so.

• UK Big Board Update
      4:40 pm December 14, 2015 Permalink

So basically, UMass and Memphis were like Louisville is, only in football too?

• theSkinny81
      4:47 pm December 14, 2015 Permalink

FBI Informant December 8, 2015 at 1:32 pm | Permalink
      Like It (0)
      You know what’s fun? When we post negative things about UL, knowing that UK has had their fair share of employees with run ins with the law, and UL fans are going to easily point all of them out with a 3sec Google search. It may be wise to not expose our own glass house.

FBI Informant December 8, 2015 at 2:15 pm | Permalink
      Like It (0)
      Really?
      I, for one, would never wish ill will on a University and the ridiculous amount of good that both schools do for their communities, just bc I don’t root for their sports teams. You all need to reset your priorities in life.

FBI Informant December 8, 2015 at 2:43 pm | Permalink
      Like It (0)
      Uk is my alma-mater.
      But I live in Louisville. Unfortunately my alma-mater has a sports fanbase where the vast majority never went to college and therefore cannot conseptualize the difference between sports and real-life.

• theSkinny81
      4:49 pm December 14, 2015 Permalink

Quite nice things to say about your beloved alma mater, Mr. Informant. 😉

16. Megan
    3:10 pm December 14, 2015 Permalink

After one of Shaughnessy’s smear pieces on Cal, I wrote to Bob Ryan to ask what was going on with his buddy. He kinda laughed it off and said it wasn’t anything to we should pay much attention to.

17. Shawn Kemp
    3:49 pm December 14, 2015 Permalink

Once a guy with bubble bath hair always a guy with bubble bath hair…

Twitter: @dallonadams