Dan Le Batard crushing ESPN for Calipari appearances

crying-leb

Dan Le Batard is crushing his own network for putting John Calipari all over television today. Le Batard said it is a huge recruiting advantage for Cal, and ESPN should be ashamed of itself for allowing Cal to come on and “call kid’s moms,” referring to Michael Kidd-Gilchrist’s mother’s appearance on Mike & Mike.

Calipari is scheduled to be on Le Batard’s show, Highly Questionable, later today; but Le Ba Tard said he plans to cancel that appearance. He called it “amateur” of ESPN to allow Calipari the platform to promote Kentucky basketball.

Someone may be getting suspended.

Article written by Drew Franklin

30 Comments for Dan Le Batard crushing ESPN for Calipari appearances

1. ukjaybrat
    11:00 am June 23, 2016 Permalink

not really a fan of his show, but i typically like his stance on most things. this just seems weird. coaches do this all the time. They even have a term for it, it’;s called the “Car Wash.” Just not every coach has the swagger that Cal does.

2. CATilactica
    11:03 am June 23, 2016 Permalink

Le Batard Hates cal. so i’m not surprised.

3. Catlogic15
    11:04 am June 23, 2016 Permalink

So I guess he’s not ok with Coach K doing all those commercials? That a recruiting edge as well.

• Sentient Third Eye
      11:53 am June 23, 2016 Permalink

Excellent point.

• Kzt560
      1:55 pm June 23, 2016 Permalink

Was LeRetard so outraged when Kryhdrwhejfjski coaching the USA under 18 team, and getting Tyus Jones and Okafor?

4. loosey101
    11:05 am June 23, 2016 Permalink

He’s probably still salty about Lebron leaving the heat. Good for Cal, this guys show sucks, STUGOTZ sucks, his Dads awful voice overs suck, and he’s in a terrible time slot. I’d much rather listen to Rich Eisen then this chode.

• rabblerabblerabble
      11:58 am June 23, 2016 Permalink

than*

5. Who cares? He’s got a lot of ability as a host, but he’s also a race baiter with so much of what he does so I have no use for him.

6. Shagaris Sock Puppet
    11:08 am June 23, 2016 Permalink

Is this the same person who has his father on his own show?! Look, Coach K coaches the Olympics and has many many advantages to that. If a coach gets an opportunity to do these things, to me, he has deserved the lime light. Its the NBA draft day and the guy has more players in the draft than anyone, more players in the NBA, than any coach, and again its the NBA draft day! Why not have the guy on.

7. Bluebloodtoo
    11:10 am June 23, 2016 Permalink

Drama queen-Loves the drama. The guy’s show makes me realize what a radio show would be like if it was hosted by my 8 year old son. Potty humor, drama, making fun of people and things. There is certainly a market for those shows, but I’m not the target audience.

8. Han
    11:12 am June 23, 2016 Permalink

It is a little questionable to do it on NBA Draft day, but I’ll assume Dan got this upset every time ESPN had Coach K, Roy, Boeheim, Izzo or anyone else do the rounds. Oh, he didn’t? Shocking!

9. He also knows this is going to get him a lot of run on the net (especially Twitter & other social media) and other talk shows/networks, so as far as he’s concerned it’s a win-win.

10. RealCatsFan
    11:15 am June 23, 2016 Permalink

Is Le Batard how you say “the Bastard” in French?

11. rickwhitetx
    11:22 am June 23, 2016 Permalink

Maybe Dan won’t be on his own show today and Cal will sit in for him.

12. Mathlete
    11:23 am June 23, 2016 Permalink

Dan, take the afternoon off and call your proctologist for an emergency appointment. That stick needs to be removed, it looks painful.

13. onsides
    11:31 am June 23, 2016 Permalink

The difference between the amateurs Cal hypes up is that after 1 year of college, many are multi-millionaires.

14. deltasig41
    11:35 am June 23, 2016 Permalink

Come on, Drew…You’re sensationalizing what he said in a big way. Le Batard never once blamed Cal, or even criticized Cal…He blatantly said, “I don’t blame Calipari for doing it, I blame ESPN for giving him the opportunity.” He admitted that the only reason Calipari was allowed to come do this is because it is a ratings machine. His criticism was aimed almost solely at ESPN, because he said even if they allowed Coach K or other coaches to do this, he’d feel the same way. He’s always been against “amateurism” in sports, and was basically using this as an example to further criticize how college athletes are taken advantage of.

I didn’t take it as a knock on Cal, rather a knock on ESPN for using a college coach and college athletes to get ratings.

• Bluebloodtoo
      11:44 am June 23, 2016 Permalink

Ok, wait a minute. Isn’t Le Bastards show all about sensationalism? Doesn’t ESPN expect le Bastard to get ratings for his show? Maybe le bastard is actually just pissed that ESPN wouldn’t give those ratings to his show….? The truth here is that EVERYTHING on ESPN is designed to get ratings so their advertising spots are more valuable. That’s how they make money outside of the network contracts.

Are the UK guys in the draft being used or promoted by Cal’s appearance? The argument (as stated above) doesn’t seem to make sense to me.

• tvillian42
      11:47 am June 23, 2016 Permalink

“He called it “amateur” of ESPN to allow Calipari the platform to promote Kentucky basketball.” Did you read the post?

• Bluebloodtoo
      3:40 pm June 23, 2016 Permalink

Yes, but when comments are indented, it usually means they refer to the first non-indented comment above them. So if I’m talking about the post above, then the original article isn’t really the target of the comment.

15. runningunnin.454
    12:03 pm June 23, 2016 Permalink

The high question is, who set up Cal’s appearance on his show? Did ESPN or did he? Regardless, if Cal was asked to be there, it was set up, and he, in fact, cancels the appearance…..that would be the epitome of “amateurism”.

16. nybrasky
    12:26 pm June 23, 2016 Permalink

The truth is that in college basketball there is nothing that gains the attention in the off-season like UK or Cal. Duke could, but K isn’t the promoter the same way that Cal is. ESPN is dying a slow death and is desperate for any eyeballs or content it can get. So, they need Cal for a day when the only major sports news is the NBA Draft, and he’s going to take full advantage. Then they’ll have guys argue “hot takes” on both sides of things he says.

It’s a little surprising that Le Batard is actually calling out his network on this one. I somewhat applaud him for it, even if I disagree with his sentiment. He may face some repercussions from the bosses.

• Bluebloodtoo
      3:34 pm June 23, 2016 Permalink

ESPn is dying a slow death? That’s news to me. Not that it would be surprising that the on demand version of internet news would make a news outlet antiquated, but I didn’t know it was happening already. I certainly wouldn’t go to any other cable news station to get sports news, but then again I wouldn’t go to cable to get news anyway…. my smartphone is much quicker and takes me to exactly what I’m looking for instead of watching the ticker and tapping my fingers until the one thing I want shows up….

17. Blue Boy
    12:30 pm June 23, 2016 Permalink

Why get mad at Lebatard? He is only saying what UK fans have been saying about Coach K for years with all the exposure he and the Duke players have had on ESPN. Don’t be hypocritical when it’s UK getting the exposure. #EnjoyThe Ride

18. BigBlueToo
    1:11 pm June 23, 2016 Permalink

Dan, who?

19. meeksfor3
    1:26 pm June 23, 2016 Permalink

I can’t recall ever watching 1 minute of that show and don’t expect that to change in the future.

20. Kzt560