Dan Dakich to call tomorrow night’s game

Tom Leach and Mike Pratt can expect a lot more listeners during tomorrow night’s radio broadcast of Kentucky versus LSU. Thousands of televisions across the bluegrass will be muted for the game as Dan Dakich is scheduled to handle the color commentary for ESPN. There may be no bigger UK hater than Dakich, who is almost universally despised as a commentator for the Worldwide Leader. I plan to listen to him just to hear how many names he messes up and how many times he says he would rather have Aaron Craft over Andrew Harrison.

Article written by Drew Franklin

49 Comments for Dan Dakich to call tomorrow night’s game

1. Kevin C.
    12:23 pm January 27, 2014 Permalink

As much as I despise Jan Jockitch, I’d much rather listen to him than Booby Knight.

• PhilUK18
      12:41 pm January 27, 2014 Permalink

Bob Knight is so senile now that I just find him hilarious. One of my favorite commentator blunders was a couple seasons ago when he was calling a game and called a reach in foul a “reach around” haha

• 94Feet
      6:04 pm January 27, 2014 Permalink

Cannot understand Why ? ESPN stoops so low to outright embarrass themselves having Dan and Bobby Knight call games.

2. Brandon
    12:26 pm January 27, 2014 Permalink

worst news ever. i need to get that radio synced with the game stat.

3. D-Rock
    12:31 pm January 27, 2014 Permalink

Kinda surprised Dan would dirty himself by watching anything but his precious Big 10 basketball. ESPN just sucks anymore.

4. Do whut?
    12:33 pm January 27, 2014 Permalink

Setting aside any bias Dakich has against Kentucky he is entirely unlistenable. Just terrible. Add the UK hate into the equation and listening to him is laughable at best.

5. 2mites
    12:35 pm January 27, 2014 Permalink

ESPN is no friend of UK and never will be. Every commentator they have focus on the other team and their players much more than UK’s. This is no surprise at all as they know UK fans are gonna watch no matter what. Fair and balanced is not the ESPN way.

• AJH
      3:08 pm January 27, 2014 Permalink

Not true at all. Stop whining. Jay Bilas always has great things to say about UK. Dicky V does too.

6. Hooter
    12:36 pm January 27, 2014 Permalink

I’d rather tie bricks to my pecker with a 10 foot rope and drop them out of the second story window. Than listen to him.

• Jughead
      12:42 pm January 27, 2014 Permalink

One period too many. Try again.

7. Dandy Don
    12:36 pm January 27, 2014 Permalink

Dan Dakich is un-biased and a sharp dresser.

8. Dan Dakich
    12:43 pm January 27, 2014 Permalink

I am Dan Dakich, and I approve this message.

9. Jordan
    12:45 pm January 27, 2014 Permalink

He’s not only biased towards IU, it’s the whole state of Indiana. Him and Paul Biancardi were jawing back and forth commentating a game with Trey Lyles’ Arsenal Tech, Biancardi sarcastically said Tech can just hold the ball and win because there’s no shot clock. Dakich responds “It takes skill to do it, it takes coaching to do it”. Now someone plz correct me if I’m wrong but I immediately wrote to him on twitter “it takes skill and coaching to hold the basketball?” I kinda see skill, but not really coaching. He’s just an idiot and I would like to listen to the radio if it wasn’t ahead of the TV

10. Opposite day
    12:46 pm January 27, 2014 Permalink

ESPN is easily the best network ever, their color commentary is amazing and almost universally right down the middle. The only thing I can think of that’s more fair and balanced in their coverage is Fox News!

I’m so happy UK games are constantly on The Worldwide Leader, and even more excited about ESPN’s involvement with the SEC network. It’s almost worth spending the money for an upgraded cable package just for this one channel. I would never ever find a pirated channel through frontrowsports.com or justin.tv to stream UK games online just to avoid giving them money.

• Time Warner Cable
      12:49 pm January 27, 2014 Permalink

And don’t forget, with your upgrade to get the SEC Network you also get: Lifetime 8, Al Jazeera, The Trainspotting Channel (dedicated of course to watching trains in the English countryside), and the French Movies About One Legged Mutes Channel. All for the low price of $100 extra per month. Enjoy!

• Pierre
      12:56 pm January 27, 2014 Permalink

French Movies about One Legged Mutes Channel. Hilarious!!!

• Opposite day
      1:57 pm January 27, 2014 Permalink

“French movies about one legged mutes” is my favorite Netflix category! How awesome is it that there’s a whole TV channel devoted to that? I really hope they do a low-definition black and white marathon at least once a week, preferably with at least two stories about male cheerleaders overcoming their disabilities to compete in cycling. I’d skip the Superbowl to watch that!

11. Blake
    12:57 pm January 27, 2014 Permalink

Anybody know the name of the app that sync’s the radio broadcast with cable tv?

• Softwaresolutions
      1:06 pm January 27, 2014 Permalink

Nope. You can buy a radio on Amazon for $59.99. Don’t want that. Does anyone know of any iHeart/internet radio addons that do the same? Would really like to listen to Tom and watch the game at the same time without lugging a radio around.

• david
      1:14 pm January 27, 2014 Permalink

Just found one on google play store. Most of the reviews are good. Easy Radio Delayer I’m going to give it a try.

12. wendy
    1:05 pm January 27, 2014 Permalink

Every
    Sports
    Person’s
    Nightmare

• Jordan
      1:10 pm January 27, 2014 Permalink

I see what you did there

13. JOHN HORTON
    1:11 pm January 27, 2014 Permalink

Sport Sync Radio with Audio Delay and you can listen to Tom Leach/Mike Pratt.
    Only way to listen to UK games.

• WestWorld
      1:15 pm January 27, 2014 Permalink

Sport Sync is available at Tom Leach’s website.

Or if you don’t live within range of radio station – go to UK Athletics.com (Fan Zone) listen on line with a laptop or ipad, pause the TV and sync the 2 up.

14. The Hoff
    1:11 pm January 27, 2014 Permalink

If you have a DVR, just use it to sync to the radio broadcast.

15. Hooter
    1:11 pm January 27, 2014 Permalink

Jughead, you got me on that one bud. I was so excited to post it and impress you that I got carried away with my periods. Maybe you will find my comment more amusing when your period is over.

• Jughead
      1:54 pm January 27, 2014 Permalink

Well, at least your priorities are in order—impressing me should be your number one priority. I will let you know when that happens.

Love puddles.

16. jr
    1:13 pm January 27, 2014 Permalink

OMG, the last time I listened to him, he made the Goobers sound like world beaters. Mich. State just beat them but it was all bout the Goobers. Every play goobers this and that, you would have thought they were winning the game and they were ranked no 3. He’s horrible…..

17. bort
    1:26 pm January 27, 2014 Permalink

I have to disagree. I think Dakich is a good commentator. Very knowledgeable, gives good insights, etc. :His voice isn’t the greatest to listen to, but he is spot-on in his analysis most of the time. Claims of his “bias” are overstated. Sorry to be the contrarian.

• We Hang Banners
      1:33 pm January 27, 2014 Permalink

X’s and O’s maybe. Everything else, no freaking way.

• $1.75 Tacos?
      8:24 pm January 27, 2014 Permalink

Dakich’s voice is hard to listen to for a whole game(does he smoke 3 packs of cigarettes a day?). Dakich talks like he just enjoys hearing his own voice, no matter what he is saying. Even Mike Tirico, who seems easy going, does not like working with him. He acts like he is bitter that no college wants him as a coach anymore, and wants to act smarter than the coaches in the game.

18. Brian
    1:27 pm January 27, 2014 Permalink

I refuse to believe he can be any worse than Jimmy Dykes.

19. WoodyCat
    1:29 pm January 27, 2014 Permalink

jr (farmerdude) go back to your sorry Loserville site. Your excessive use of goober gives you away, you goober

20. HicksPickSix
    1:41 pm January 27, 2014 Permalink

Dakich is the Corey Nichols of ESPN.

21. Danzigman
    1:42 pm January 27, 2014 Permalink

Surely, he can’t be any worse the the sec network call for Saturdays game. They missed half the plays in the first half talking about the previous Georgia games this season.

22. ColonelCatFan
    1:49 pm January 27, 2014 Permalink

23. UKBlue
    1:53 pm January 27, 2014 Permalink

If you have a radio & want to delay the signal, Google Dana Systems & download the program it’s free.

24. UKBlue
    1:57 pm January 27, 2014 Permalink

Sorry Daan Systems

25. bluegrassstu
    2:05 pm January 27, 2014 Permalink

I can not stand Dakich nor Dykes.

26. Dakich Blows
    2:07 pm January 27, 2014 Permalink

I hate how he tries to coach the younger generation throughout the game. He will take a play and say “Kids. Did you see that. He dribbled with his head up and drove the lane full speed. Get out in your driveway and practice this.”

Well no shit Dumb ass. Think he is going to dribble head down and go slow. He is awful! Glad I’m not the only one to notice.

27. bung
    2:12 pm January 27, 2014 Permalink

28. bung
    2:14 pm January 27, 2014 Permalink

Leach and Pratt and Matt are the best every game…

29. prpcat
    3:02 pm January 27, 2014 Permalink

I would rather listen to nothing……..

30. Even With Dakich
    3:14 pm January 27, 2014 Permalink

Even with Dumb Dan Dakich gracing the TV air waves, the audience will be good. The POTUS is giving his little talk and if he is on the same time as the UK game, a lot of people who never watch basketball will tune in to keep from watching O. UK may actually add fans to our growing fan base tomorrow. Thank you, POTUS.

31. rnewton22
    3:24 pm January 27, 2014 Permalink

Picture of Dan looks like 1000 Big Macs and 50 pounds ago. Indiana fans need to stop calling him double D and start with triple D.

32. Dustin Rumbaugh
    3:52 pm January 27, 2014 Permalink

Does Dan Dakich even basketball, bro? He deserves to talk about basketball as much as Miley Cyrus deserves to talk about the art of keeping your ankles together.

33. Catgrad7072