Dan Dakich: “I would not have Coach Pitino as my coach”

Dan Dakich and Mike Tirico called last night’s Louisville/Michigan State game, and this morning, Louisville fans are all upset over some comments Dakich made regarding Rick Pitino and whether or not he should be held responsible for the sex scandal embroiling the program. Dakich said that, regardless of whether or not Rick knew what was going on, if he was the Louisville athletic director, he wouldn’t keep Rick on as head coach.

Eric Crawford transcribed Dakich’s comments in his column today:

“There’s so many layers to it. There’s the NCAA part of it. There’s a criminal investigation. To me, it doesn’t matter whether Coach Pitino knew or didn’t know. It shouldn’t happen under anybody’s watch. I’d be a bad athletic director, I know. I’d be a bad president. I would be. But I would not have Coach Pitino as my coach. When these things come out, you just can’t tolerate that as an institution. This isn’t the only thing that, over the last five years, has come out with Louisville.

And as a president or athletic director I’d get tired of these things. I have too much respect for higher education and the people who pay to have their kids go to Louisville to allow that. But he is, and good for him. I mean, hey, his athletic director has stood by him. The president initially didn’t but then he ended up showing support. He’s got full support. And if Rick Pitino didn’t have the Louisville job, he’d have another job in two minutes. That’s how good he is. But you can’t have these things continue, no matter how successful your basketball program is, they cloud your university. ”

With no end to the scandal in sight, Louisville fans need to get used to hearing it discussed on national TV. Like when they play UK in 23 days.

10 Comments for Dan Dakich: “I would not have Coach Pitino as my coach”

1. secrick
    3:15 pm December 3, 2015 Permalink

I agree with him, the cards would do anything to win in all sports. They might have beat us in football last week but i wouldn’t trade Stoops for the slime ball Pitrino. Now i might have taken Mark Riecht.

2. J-Dub421
    3:26 pm December 3, 2015 Permalink

Dakich is right. I can’t believe I just said that. Please excuse me while I go wash my mouth out with soap.

3. ClutchCargo
    3:30 pm December 3, 2015 Permalink

It’s not as though his lord and savior, Bob Knight, is exactly a saint himself. But hey, I’ll take all the Pitino and U of L bashing I can get, no matter where it comes from. It pains me to kind of agree with Jock Itch, though

• 25OR624
      4:32 pm December 3, 2015 Permalink

I agree in re Bob Knight. What is Dakich’s view on IU having perrenially retained a crazed and seemingly raging and aging Knight? In sports, from a coaching perspective, Woody Hayes crossed the line, literally, and was quickly terminated as it was evident his useful coaching life had ended. Similarly, a younger, yet no-less crazy man Bob Knight, on multiple occasions committed atrocious and arguably unacceptable acts and yet was retained – until the final straw. Because it is uavel, they and their fandom likely don’t feel the pain and embarrassment of Pitino’s actions or inactions; their low IQ and hunger to beat big bro and be #1 in the ACC permit them to easily ignore and forgive (as IU did Knight). These incidents would surely not be tolerated at KENTUCKY. I submit: Uavel should change their mascot from the Cards to the Iron Camels (since no straw, no matter how truly destructive, and no amount of laughter at them seems capable of breaking their back).

4. david8577
    3:31 pm December 3, 2015 Permalink

The oddest part about it is that UL could get a coach just as good as Pitino to come there. However, they insist on keeping up this mantra of, sleaziest athletic program of all time, and wearing it proudly. I honestly don’t understand how anyone could root for them at this point. It’s just seriously nasty, and I’m not trying to blow anything out of proportion here.

5. W.C.
    4:51 pm December 3, 2015 Permalink

If there are Card fans who truly believe that Rick should in no way be held responsible for what went on in the players dorm for four years, then do they now think Cal was punished rather harshly because one of his players at U-Mass reached an agreement with an agent before the season was over?

6. jonthes
    5:08 pm December 3, 2015 Permalink

He also said repeatedly that Pitino is the best coach in the country for developing players’ skills. Lullville’s two ‘stars’ are fifth year transfers.

7. ukjaybrat
    7:12 pm December 3, 2015 Permalink

To be fair, who else are they going to get? Stick with P is their best decision right now. He’ll step down after the season and be remembered for having a winning season that could have been morenif they didn’t have to forgo the off season (if that happens)

8. Rsn2GoBlu
    7:48 am December 4, 2015 Permalink

I UL fires Pitino, he has his choice of jobs in 5 seconds. Don’t think for a second that Barnhart wouldn’t call Pitino if Cal were to leave and Pitino was available.

• UK Big Board Update
      2:29 pm December 4, 2015 Permalink

You are out of your damn mind…..