Dakich: Reid Travis could be why Kentucky wins title

When Dan Dakich isn’t trolling fans, he occasionally drops a good basketball take, which is why I tuned in to his latest “Courtside” podcast with Seth Greenberg. The two — who will be covering Kentucky’s Bahamas trip for ESPN, brace yourselves — discussed Kentucky’s roster, specifically Reid Travis, and Dakich said not only was Travis the biggest pickup of the college basketball offseason, he could be the reason Kentucky brings home number nine in April.

“I think Reid Travis fits in perfectly playing from the top of the key down, strong, rebounding, experience,” Dakich said. “I thought it was the best pickup anyone had in the offseason and it’s the kind of pickup, when you look in March or April and say, ‘Man, Cal and Kentucky are in the Final Four,’ ‘Cal and Kentucky are in the Championship game,’ ‘Cal and Kentucky won a national championship,’ one of the reasons, if not the reason, is going to be the pickup of Reid Travis. I think it’s that big, Seth. I do.”

Dakich added that had Wenyen Gabriel (or whomever he kept referring to as “Wayans”) stayed and Kentucky still got Travis, he couldn’t see Kentucky losing more than three games. That’s a bold hypothetical, but clearly, Dakich is all in on the Travis train.

“I don’t know if he’s a great player; he’s certainly a great college player. He averaged 20 [points], to do what he did — to me, here’s the deal with Cal, and I believe this. I look at this roster and I see basically one guy that’s a sophomore — well, I guess three guys, Nick Richards? Okay. PJ Washington and Quade Green. John has said Quade Green is playing great this summer, but man, all of a sudden, when you do this with Kentucky, it takes them to the next level. When you have a little bit of experience, I’m thinking Darius Miller back in the day, it ups the level of that crew.”

“I like where Kentucky’s headed, man, I do. And Reid Travis turns it up big. Big.”

To hear Dakich and Greenberg’s comments, listen below starting at the 27-minute mark.

[mobile_ad]

13 Comments for Dakich: Reid Travis could be why Kentucky wins title

1. runningunnin.454
    1:13 pm June 29, 2018 Permalink

OMG, I agree with Dakich…shoot me.

• Ridge Runner
      2:28 pm June 29, 2018 Permalink

I’m with ya runnin

• J-Dub421
      2:55 pm June 29, 2018 Permalink

Even a blind pig finds a truffle once in a while.

• 4everUKblue
      3:43 pm June 29, 2018 Permalink

In the words of Sidney Deane “The sun even shines on a dog’s ass some days, hell you can put a cat in the oven and that don’t make it al biscuit.”

• J. Did
      4:37 pm June 29, 2018 Permalink

I was thinking the same; Damn Dick-itch complimenting KENTUCKY? There must be an ulterior motive. And that is to put undue pressure on KENTUCKY. Otherwise, I don’t get it. Indiana fans despise KENTUCKY. I don’t trust the guy.

2. KYFAN4LYFE
    1:37 pm June 29, 2018 Permalink

The day I start caring what Jan Jockitch has to say about UK basketball…is the day I stop caring about UK basketball.

3. Wade
    1:56 pm June 29, 2018 Permalink

He ain’t lyin!

4. michaelb
    1:59 pm June 29, 2018 Permalink

Like him or not … everybody has the same testimony & that means there must be really some speciality in this group. It’s good news, all of us die hards live for this type season. Don’t wanna see that late season misstep though. That being said I hope we lose a Bahamas game and that’s it . I wanna see 40-0 during season.

5. bosch8184
    2:06 pm June 29, 2018 Permalink

Of course, wouldn’t have needed Reid if the mistake of chasing off Humphries wasn’t made.

• BigBlueMeade
      2:19 pm June 29, 2018 Permalink

lolol you really believe that Humphries was ran off? The guy is playing pro ball in his home country, and is doing very well for himself. And your comment seems to sound like you wish we had Humphries instead of Travis who is probably an All-America player. Good grief man.

• ClutchCargo
      2:52 pm June 29, 2018 Permalink

Hats off to bosch for continuing to raise the bar for terrible takes.

6. lobrock1
    6:14 pm June 29, 2018 Permalink

I live in Palo Alto and am a lifelong UK fan. I’ve been watching games in Maples for a decade. Reid Travis is a beast inside. He’s been the Cardinal’s best player for the last two seasons. Relentless on the boards and a motor reminiscent of MKG. Not the best hops or wingspan but more than makes up for it at the college level w his work ethic and motor. He’s what this team needs. People don’t realize the academic standards Stanford kids are required to meet. Every student on the men’s hoops team completed AP calculus in high school. It’s incredibly hard to recruit to Stanford for this reason. So to lose Travis this late in the game really hurts Haase and Stanford’s Team. But as a lifelong UK fan if Reid Travis was going to any team, I’m more than hoping it’s to the Cats. Great character and HUGE get for Cal and the cats.

7. Cincy Cayt
    7:01 pm June 30, 2018 Permalink

It could be Hagans, Johnson, PJ, etc. too. Heck maybe they’ll all contribute?!?!!