Dakari’s cryptic tweet

Getty Images

Getty Images

Getty Images

Minutes before Dakari Johnson’s statement went public, he tweeted this to his followers:

Screen Shot 2014-04-23 at 3.13.42 PM

What does it mean? Willie Cauley-Stein, Marcus Lee, Alex Poythress, AND Dakari Johnson coming back?? It means watch the eff out, college basketball.

UK’s front seven next season: 7’0″, 7’0″, 7’0″, 6’10”, 6’9″, 6’9″, 6’8″

Screen Shot 2014-04-23 at 3.10.16 PM

29 Comments for Dakari’s cryptic tweet

1. DB11
    4:18 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

Losing the championship may have been one of the greatest things to happen to this program.

We’re looking to be stacked for years..

*knocks on wood*

• Dude, NEVER say that! Look, I know we will have a great team next year, especially if the twins return, but you NEVER look at a loss in the championship game as a good thing. Heck, even if we had won some of these guys might have still come back, and then we’d be going for #10!

2. Talmage
    4:19 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

I count six faces. Add the twins to the mix. Although, in reality it probably means nothing.

3. hell cat
    4:22 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

It means Poy better develop some 3 skills. There’s not enough room in the paint for all those bangers.

• caliparty
      4:22 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

beat me to it..

4. caliparty
    4:22 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

Poythress better learn how to play small forward and become a better ball handler.

• cristoforoUK
      4:29 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

Poythress better learn to play the 3 not only for next year, but for his NBA future.

5. HackRichards
    4:22 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

Amen

6. Cayts
    4:25 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

I think Cal needs to play our roster like an NBA roster. Essentially have a first team and a second team. Have the second team come in and play for 5-7 minutes a half. If the twins come back we will have 9 McDonalds All Americans plus Willie Cauley Stein. WOW!!!

• Haha
      4:48 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

It is extremely hard to do that with a lot less minutes (NBA has 20% more minutes). Also hard to do with young players who are inconsistent and need to be on the court for long periods in order to get in a groove.

• RealCatsFan
      4:59 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

I think the fact that most of these guys have at least a full season playing together will make it easier for Cal to sub freely, versus keeping a tight rotation to help them gel.

7. Bubba Earl
    4:26 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

Watch out basketball world, there will be much more activity now that we have the guys coming back. Whomever was on the bubble of deciding should do it immediately, albeit forwards and centers, for next year we could have the top 8 of 10 spots in the NBA. Trezl are you watching?

• tltaworl
      4:28 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

That is not too far fetched.
      Lottery (if they have good years)
      Andrew
      Aaron
      Willie
      Dakari
      Towns

1st Round
      Poy
      Lyles
      Lee

8. tltaworl
    4:26 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

I remember watching the ’96 team practice when I was a summer camper. They were going at each other like it was the final four in summer pick up games. Towns & Lyles better bring it because minutes are earned. I have a feeling 2015 will be one of those teams that we look back and compare to the best…if the twins return.

I know players don’t (at least they say they don’t) look at who else is coming. But how many assist can you get if you throw the ball up there next year. I mean Willie, Poy, Lee as high flyers, Lyles, Towns, Dakari as bruisers. Good Lord when is Big Blue Madness?

9. jeffrey
    4:33 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

You’re forgetting another seven footer in Towns.

10. UK Freshmen
    4:36 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

Is there a place for me somewhere? Perhaps as a motivational speaker for the team?

11. Louisville1Cal6
    4:40 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

Mrs.Thompson, is Karl-Anthony Towns Jr. 6’11” or 7’0″? I’ve seen one or the other used to describe him many times from many different sports based sites, so which is it? Pretty sure he tweeted a pic of him measuring in at 7’0″ a few months ago…

• Mrs. Tyler Thompson
      4:44 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

You’re correct. I’ve also seen Trey Lyles listed as 6’10”, so I updated that too. Just scary.

• RealCatsFan
      5:01 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

I have also seen it written that doctors have told Karl that he is not finished growing yet and could still gain a few more inches in height.

• Louisville1Cal6
      5:45 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

I was just curious, either way I suppose it doesn’t really matter. We have an NBA front court is the bottom line ha

12. Jim Carey
    4:53 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

Sooo.. What you’re saying is there’s a chance we may be good next year!?

13. RealCatsFan
    5:10 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

Dakari has the most infectious smile since MKG. So happy that he is back next year!

14. VeryBigBlue
    5:14 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

“Small forward” will be a misnomer for UK next year!!!

15. GoCats
    5:19 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

That means watch the F%$# out if you are opposing front 3…We will be bigger than 90% of NBA teams

• hell cat
      5:56 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

Not just big, but WCS and Lee are pretty mobile for guys their size. I see lots of perimeter shots getting swatted next year.

16. It is going to be sick, absolutely sick, the number of big bodies we’ll be able to run at people!

17. David
    6:04 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

so I guess Myles Turner isn’t coming to UK then??..guffaw…wow…great news…i have a feeling the twins come back to improve their standing for next year’s draft…and with that front line they will have assists and open shots galore…my oh my…I’m giddy…come on twins…come on back and cement your place in UK history

• Tampa Satchel
      6:17 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

It would take a very confident young man to add himself to this mix. Methinks very few kids these days have that in them. Too many birds chirping in their ear that they have to be the man.

18. Peas and Carrots