Dakari Johnson worked out with Nazr Mohammed today

Got some good work in today with @nazrmohammed #BBN

A photo posted by Dakari Johnson (@dakarijohnson) on

Nazr Mohammed will go down as one of my favorite Wildcats ever; in fact, growing up, he was my favorite Wildcat. I’ll never forget meeting Nazr at Kentucky Korner as a middle schooler and shyly asking him to sign his Sports Illustrated cover and THE NAZ poster, which both hung on my wall until they were so faded you could barely see his signature. I still have his autographed basketball in my office.

Nazr just wrapped up a 17-year NBA career, which seems crazy when you remember what a project he was when he got to Kentucky. Rick Pitino made him run after the team bus to lose weight, for goodness’ sake. Since announcing his retirement a few weeks back, Nazr has been making the rounds at his old stomping grounds, coming to Lexington to host a free autograph signing, and most recently, stopping in Oklahoma City, where he played from 2011-2012.

While in Oklahoma City, Nazr helped another former Wildcat: Dakari Johnson, who posted a picture of the two on Instagram earlier this afternoon. Dakari will play in the D-League this season, and could learn a lot from Nazr, who made an entire career off being a backup big guy and locker room leader. Now, he has the chance to be the perfect mentor.

14 Comments for Dakari Johnson worked out with Nazr Mohammed today

1. J-Dub421
    2:01 pm October 27, 2015 Permalink

Nazr would be a great mentor for Dakari and someone he could model his game after.

2. ukjaybrat
    2:05 pm October 27, 2015 Permalink

La Familia all day

3. UKBlue1!
    2:19 pm October 27, 2015 Permalink

Dakari got bad advice. He should still be at UK. He could have developed more this year and worked his way into a late 1st round pick.

• Megan
      3:19 pm October 27, 2015 Permalink

You haven’t the faintest idea what factors Dakari considered or how he valued them. You also have no idea what assurances OKC made to him to keep his rights for another year. But ignorance hasn’t stopped you from being opinionated. What makes you think he isn’t going to develop this year across the street with the Blue? The Thunder have a player development system that many teams are unable to afford. You don’t know what you’re talking about. You only think you do.

• UKBlue1!
      4:19 pm October 27, 2015 Permalink

What inside info do you have? Dakari’s body is still developing. At times you can watch him get pushed and shoved around. NBA is a man’s game. I wish him well but anyone could plainly see he was not ready.

• J-Dub421
      5:28 pm October 27, 2015 Permalink

Staying another year would not improve his draft stock. The NBA values youth, and Dakari isn’t going to make himself any more athletic.

4. JWHenderson
    3:05 pm October 27, 2015 Permalink

Dakari’s hand looks like Chubb’s wooden hand from the movie Happy Gilmore! Made me lol. I hope to see Dakari have much success in the NBA. I think he’s got the perfect mentor in this picture!

• PyroTony
      3:46 pm October 27, 2015 Permalink

Great observation! Missed it when I first looked at the picture. Now I can’t stop looking at it or laughing 😂

5. Bobbert Murica
    3:23 pm October 27, 2015 Permalink

Nazr “Mohammed.” He ain’t no Murican. Why not Nazr Jesus?

6. inside info2
    3:27 pm October 27, 2015 Permalink

Nazr was so much fun to watch at UK. Glad to see he stopped to help out another Cat.

7. Jim.
    4:43 pm October 27, 2015 Permalink

Looks like he is showing nazr the L.

• ukjaybrat
      5:15 pm October 27, 2015 Permalink

Typical Louisville fan. We all see great ball players, you just see Ls, Crown Royal, and hookers. Will you please go back to card chronicle and stop adding your unwanted ignorant insight to this blog?

• J-Dub421
      5:38 pm October 27, 2015 Permalink

We had more players on the All-Star team than you had in the NBA last season. Now run along back to the card chronicle.

8. postfeeder
    5:58 pm October 27, 2015 Permalink

Has Nazr ever been the “y” ? Get him in for the Louisville game!