Dakari among the best NBA prospects, according to study

FiveThirtyEight.com is one of my favorite websites on this here internet and today it went up a couple more spots in the Drew Franklin Website Power Rankings.

Why, you ask?

Because the site, known for its in-depth statistical analysis, projected the top 50 players in this year’s NBA draft class and five of the top ten are Wildcats, with all seven UK entrants in the top 25.

The most surprising: Dakari Johnson at No. 6.

That’s right… SIXTH.

dakari-fivethirtyeight

FiveThirtyEight used several factors to determine NBA potential — all of this is wayyyyy over my head — to project each prospect’s plus/minus for their second through fifth years in the NBA. In Dakari’s case, the study determined he has a very slim chance of becoming a star (2.1%) but also a slim chance he will be a bust (19.4). There is a 36.8% chance he is a starter in the league, the eighth highest percentage among all prospects.

Check out the projections for the other Wildcats and the top 50 draft entrants in the link below.

[Projecting The Top 50 Players In The 2015 NBA Draft Class]

Article written by Drew Franklin

8 Comments for Dakari among the best NBA prospects, according to study

1. Apocalypse
    3:44 pm June 19, 2015 Permalink

Has anyone ever seen a 7 footer get his shot blocked more than Dakari? Love the kids hustle and his desire to change his body like he did, but please, hit the squat rack, HARD. You have zero vertical and no explosion off the floor even when your 2 feet from the basket.

• bbn#1
      4:40 pm June 19, 2015 Permalink

boogie didnt get blocked quite as much but boogie cant jump either nor kevin love and they both average double doubles so not jumping is working fine for them

2. Mathlete
    4:14 pm June 19, 2015 Permalink

Their analysis reflects what I saw in the rare occasions where I watched Puke play… He may be the most hyped player on the team, but Okafor was the second best player on the squad behind Winslow. Every game I saw, Okafor disappeared and Winslow took over and led the team.

3. Nazr Mohammad
    4:38 pm June 19, 2015 Permalink

Dakari, barring injury, will have a very long and prosperous NBA career. Get some!

4. MikeUKFan
    6:52 pm June 19, 2015 Permalink

No way he is number 6. I’m not sure he is #36. No Moves, No shot, can’t jump, and no quickness. I like the kid. But if my GM drafts him I fire GM. Dude was the 1 player that frustrated me to where I almost broke my TV this year

• Brian
      8:39 pm June 19, 2015 Permalink

Oh really? LOL. You’d fire the GM? Jesus Christ we have some stupid fans.

• MikeUKFan
      9:39 pm June 19, 2015 Permalink

Brian…. Bite me you prick. I am far from stupid…… You are the type of fan that needs to wear UL or IU merchandise. Like most prick fan bases

• Brian
      10:02 pm June 19, 2015 Permalink

Hey, you made the stupid ass comment, not me. Now be held accountable for it.

I’ll trust NBA scouts and GMs over some dipshit know-it-all on the internet.