Curmudgeonly UK fan complains Calipari promotes UK Basketball TOO much

Yesterday, an item in Jerry Tipton’s weekly basketball notebook caught our eye. Tipton shared an email from a reader, Jack Taylor, who complained that John Calipari promotes the UK basketball program TOO much and asks if UK’s coach can just “SHUT UP for one day.” Wait, what?

Taylor’s email suggested the unthinkable: there’s a limit on UK fans’ thirst for Kentucky basketball. In so many words, the retiree from central Kentucky said there should be an off-switch in the, ahem, offseason.

Taylor suggested that Calipari is “self-absorbed.” But maybe he’s merely a marketer with an excellent product with which to flex marketing muscles.

Tipton pairs Taylor’s views with quotes from William Sutton, a professor of sports marketing at South Florida that used to work at UMass while Calipari was coach. For the most part, Sutton is spot on when he breaks down Cal’s marketing prowess; however, this being a Tipton article, there’s still a certain amount of derision throughout, including digs at Cal for mentioning how many players he’s sent to the NBA, and his “Vision of the Program” series being a “manifesto” (although I went through and couldn’t find that word in any of the three parts). You know, Tipton doing Tipton.

Honestly, the more I read it, the more I’m convinced “Jack Taylor” may be Jerry Tipton in disguise.

“This isn’t my father’s Kentucky,” Taylor said. “It’s just a new ballgame. … I think the millennials, this is their Kentucky. But it’s not mine.”

Check out the post yourself to see if you agree.

[Kentucky.com]

14 Comments for Curmudgeonly UK fan complains Calipari promotes UK Basketball TOO much

1. PatGLex
    5:37 pm May 23, 2016 Permalink

I quit reading Jerry Tipton’s “notebook” column after the last Calipari bashing. I kind of skim through the subheads to see if there is anything interesting, but mostly I notice items slanting on overtly critical, rather than interesting side facts about the program. [Thank goodness Tipton isn’t covering women’s bb.] I did notice he had another of those “cranky fan” commentaries, so I stopped and went on to the Preakness article.

2. davidpat
    5:41 pm May 23, 2016 Permalink

What a load of crap!

I’m 69 and I love UK basketball, I can’t get enough! Give it to me 24/7/365
    and as always…. “Go Big Blue!!!” and KSR is great!

3. knowitall
    5:47 pm May 23, 2016 Permalink

Is anyone making these old people pay attention to basketball after the season against their will?

• leon singleton
      6:01 pm May 23, 2016 Permalink

I’m 78 year old and live on KSR.

4. Broski
    5:51 pm May 23, 2016 Permalink

I like how “Millenial” is now a put down for old people who don’t like technology.

5. rickwhitetx
    5:59 pm May 23, 2016 Permalink

I’m 60 and there is no such thing as too much Kentucky … anything!!

6. Reese Davis
    6:13 pm May 23, 2016 Permalink

Would you rather have a different coach? FYI we have one of the greatest coaches in the modern game and instead of enjoying how good we are every year all you can do is bitch about how “this isn’t your Kentucky.” God forbid he promotes his own damn program which we pay him millions and millions to do. Calapari knows how to get it done this day in age, and it’s go get the best players off the EYBL and adidas circuit and get them to come play for us. Jack Taylor, if it was possible to kick someone from a fan base I would gladly due so

7. bosshogg24
    6:16 pm May 23, 2016 Permalink

Don’t lump all old people into the same category, I am 74 been following UK Basketball game by game for 58 years since Rupp and the Fiddling 5 won the 58 Championship. I also follow recruiting like an assistant coach, know players down to the 8th grade! Mr. Taylor is not a real fan! Some of these 18 and 20 year old’s haven’t lived long enough to know anything!

8. Well, I think it’s pretty safe to say that Tipton thinks that if he’s not always critical then he isn’t doing his job and that he would just be a homer/cheerleader, so if everyone will just realize that, then no need to get upset. Just don’t read.

Granted, some who blog for this site are homers, but it never purports to be anything but a Cat.

Back when I subscribed to TCP, I believed that Oscar Combs was balanced, which I liked, even though he is obviously a UK fan. Dave Baker was definitely a homer who seemed to defend Bill Curry to the end (I still liked Dave’s columns and like his TV and radio stuff). Not so with Oscar. He was critical when it became obvious the program was going nowhere under Curry.

9. Neal Orac
    7:31 pm May 23, 2016 Permalink

“WAAAAAAH”

10. yarg
    8:49 pm May 23, 2016 Permalink

If that fan ever gets access to this site he is sure going to be pissed.

11. yarg
    8:51 pm May 23, 2016 Permalink

Alternative comment: Jerry Tipton probably wrote the “email” himself to stir up controversy.

12. GroundControlToNumber9
    10:51 pm May 23, 2016 Permalink

Linking Tipturds… a KSR pasttime since Matt bought the leather Duke belt to celebrate his love of awkward men.