Seven Fans reported to the FBI in John Higgins case

Just when you thought this story had officially died, the prosecutor for the city of Omaha has brought it back to life. Today, he decided that the city of Omaha will not press charges against fans that are accused of threatening referee John Higgins. Higgins was the subject of massive scrutiny following the Kentucky-North Carolina game. There is no need for me to go into more specifics on what happened, because all of us secretly want to forget that day.

Those accused are not completely out of the water yet though. The prosecutor has contacted law enforcement officials about seven individuals and has notified the Federal Communications Commission of two media outlets that ran montages that displayed Higgins’ contact information. The prosecutor said that, “any criminal charges would be best served by deferring to authorities in the appropriate jurisdictions.” The names of both the media outlets and the seven individuals have yet to be released. When the Associated Press reached Higgins, he said that he has no comment and appreciates the work that law enforcement did on the case.

For more from the prosecutor on case, check out the entire article from the Courier-Journal by clicking here.

Article written by Sam Gormley

Follow me on Twitter @GormleyKSR; "The Whitest Man in the World"-JRock

20 Comments for Seven Fans reported to the FBI in John Higgins case

1. fandeuk
    8:08 pm May 26, 2017 Permalink

You know KSR originally loaded a montage with his contact information in it, right? I know you all didn’t make the vid, but you had it in a post that contained a handful of “bad calls” videos. To the staff’s credit, the video was gone a few hours later from the KSR post. Weird to have this article unless you know KSR is out of the water already.

2. KYcats11
    8:27 pm May 26, 2017 Permalink

Higgins stinks. I hope to never see his face on the court with kentucky again.

3. JTHinton
    8:36 pm May 26, 2017 Permalink

^^^

4. runningunnin.454
    8:39 pm May 26, 2017 Permalink

Is his “contact information” unpublished? If not, then it is public domain.
    Unless the media outlets incited threats/violence, it wouldn’t take F.Lee Bailey to defend.

5. KyCats8x
    8:56 pm May 26, 2017 Permalink

I got an idea….how bout an ad free version of the app so I can read all these stories without game of war and dragons 🤔

• runningunnin.454
      9:17 pm May 26, 2017 Permalink

Not to mention the stuff that I may like…..but I don’t like.

• Kevin C
      10:41 pm May 26, 2017 Permalink

PC + Firefox + AdBlockPlus = problem solved.

• cattycat
      8:22 am May 27, 2017 Permalink

Also, I tell my bosses they don’t need to pay me for the work I do for them. So it’s all a wash.

6. notFromhere
    10:21 pm May 26, 2017 Permalink

People have threatened and incited others to kill the president in the last 6 months, too. Didn’t get near the press attention or investigation that this is getting. What a joke

• Kevin C
      12:24 am May 27, 2017 Permalink

That’s because there’s far more “support” for such an act, from the media that reports on these things. BBN does not have global, or even national support, outside of it’s own existence.

• Eazy
      11:14 am May 27, 2017 Permalink

Same thing when Obama was in office. Nice try, hypocrite.

7. LD82
    10:27 pm May 26, 2017 Permalink

ESPN has this story running online too. Haters coming out in droves in the comments section.

• Eazy
      11:15 am May 27, 2017 Permalink

They always do. Just jealousy.

8. TonyMontana
    10:30 pm May 26, 2017 Permalink

Anybody that would call a referee at his house or place of business and make death threats deserves to be charged.

• bhb71
      11:01 pm May 26, 2017 Permalink

Exactly. It’s a game, people. If you threaten someone’s life and try to damage that person’s means of putting food on the table for his/her family over a game of shooty hoops, you’re emotionally unstable and should be treated as such. If you get that crazy over a basketball game, I can only imagine what you would do in analogous situations in the real world.

9. DH1967
    11:11 am May 27, 2017 Permalink

I agree a referee should never receive death threats. It is a game. I hope his bad calls are reviewed and he is never allowed to referee a game that would impact Kentucky! It was a poor job performance and should be handle as such. He also has a history of this against Kentucky, so it’s not a coincidence or just one time thing! Anyone can make a mistake but his track record against Kentucky is ridiculous!!!!

• CstlCAT22
      10:14 pm May 27, 2017 Permalink

Unfortunately that will never happen referees are never held accountable for these things. I am embarrassed as a Kentucky fan but on the other hand I hope the point is made. Truthfully, probably just makes it worse with other referees.

10. Howdy Doody
    2:01 pm May 27, 2017 Permalink

I hope each and every one of them are indicted and prosecuted. No wonder the other 49 states call us toothless, shoeless inbreds. This is a disgrace to all the decent UK fans and Alums. I will not be associated with white trailer trash sporting a wife beater t-shirt and making death threats to a NCAA Referee. The ref did not cause UK to lose, the players and Cal did that ALL on their own.

I am embarrassed and we deserve every thing we get from other fans and the media. This is a shameful act of desperation by a few red necks with the IQ of their shoe size. The FCC is investigating this action too. May the chips fall where they may.

11. Doctor21
    4:41 pm May 27, 2017 Permalink

Threats have no place in college sports and neither does this guy.