College basketball players will get second chance to enter NBA Draft

Mandatory Credit: Jeremy Brevard-USA TODAY Sports

Mandatory Credit: Jeremy Brevard-USA TODAY Sports

College players will reportedly get a second chance to test the NBA Draft waters.

When the NBA confirmed this morning that the draft was set for October 16, they also added a new early entry deadline for August 17 and a withdrawal date for Oct. 6.

With this news, players who previously elected not to enter the NBA Draft will now have until Aug. 17 to revisit those decisions and potentially enter in the coming months.

“The NBA’s early-entry deadline had been April 26, in anticipation of a June 25 draft, but according to the CBA, players have the ability to make themselves draft eligible by petioning the league in writing “at least sixty (60) days prior,”‘ ESPN’s report claims. “Pending approval from the National Basketball Players Association, that would shift the early-entry deadline to Aug. 17 given the draft has been postponed to Oct. 16.

With Kentucky specifically, this is significant news for Olivier Sarr and his quest for a waiver to play for UK in 2020-21.

Originally, Sarr’s waiver was based on Danny Manning’s firing at Wake Forest and the timing of the NBA’s previous early entry deadline. At the time, Manning – who talked Sarr into turning down the NBA and return for a senior campaign – was fired right before the previous deadline. His prior argument was that he did not have ample time to weigh his draft options.

Now, the timeline for Sarr’s draft decision would essentially reset, taking away a key argument in his waiver request.

Will the NCAA factor in Sarr’s previous argument and the timing of the original request? Or will Kentucky have to go back to the drawing board?

Either way, things just got a bit more interesting.

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

41 Comments for College basketball players will get second chance to enter NBA Draft

1. CJKAssassin123
    1:08 pm June 20, 2020 Permalink

I think Sarr is going to enter the draft. Instead of waiting for a waiver that he probably won’t get now. We’re screwed for this coming season.

• T-Town Cat
      1:19 pm June 20, 2020 Permalink

I think you’re right. The NBA Draft was probably always Sarr’s first choice until Manning talked him out of it.

2:35 pm June 20, 2020 Permalink

It was, in fact he has been very vocal about that. As it was the very center focus of his argument for a wavier. Now he has no argument. Plus he has said that if he gets denied a waiver that he would go play overseas, because the NBA draft was not an option at his disposal,as of today it is.

2. CJKAssassin123
    1:10 pm June 20, 2020 Permalink

Here is something else to consider will Brooks decide to change his mind about returning to UK and enter the draft?

3. IrishCat
    1:11 pm June 20, 2020 Permalink

Good grief. The NCAA should absolutely render a decision before mid August, but we all know how that can go..

1:19 pm June 20, 2020 Permalink

There season may also not even happen due to the recent surge in Coronavirus cases. So the NCAA and NBA would rather let any eligible college player to enter the draft than for players to stuck doing nothing at an University wasting University money on in the form of a scholarship.

4. CJKAssassin123
    1:13 pm June 20, 2020 Permalink

It looks like Lance Ware and Isaiah Wilson will end up being the starting 4 and 5 this year. Even with Boston this UK team without Brooks potentially is barely a tournament team and would likely end up in the NIT.

• Bluehender
      1:17 pm June 20, 2020 Permalink

Calm down a little CJK. You’re putting the cart ahead of the horses. Don’t give up on them in June…

1:26 pm June 20, 2020 Permalink

We first I’m not little I’m 26 thank you very much, second I’m not giving up on them I’m just laying down the facts of what will likely happen if Brooks and Sarr leave. I don’t have time for faith,I believe a go based on what I can see, what I can feel, and what I can touch. I’m a precisionist, I see things as they are and not what we want them to be or what we hope for them to be. However I appreciate your opinion on the subject.

• claiborne_field
      1:36 pm June 20, 2020 Permalink

He was saying calm down ‘a little’ not calm down ‘little CJK.’ It’s all good.

• CrystalBall
      1:29 pm June 20, 2020 Permalink

Isaiah Jackson.

• Bluehender
      1:35 pm June 20, 2020 Permalink

Of course I have no idea what you look like. If you look a little closer I said calm down a little. Not calm down little CJK. I’m glad you appreciate my opinion and that’s all it is. However when you say you see things as they are, that’s really not correct because no one knows what they are right now. It’s all still up in the air. A precisionist, huh? I’ve not heard anything about Brooks leaving. And Sarr can’t leave until he gets here. Maybe take time for some faith. It wouldn’t hurt you..

1:51 pm June 20, 2020 Permalink

He wouldn’t have to go to UK ,if chooses to go into the draft. He’s still at Wake Forest. In fact he hasn’t even filled out the transfer papers yet. He was waiting to officially transfer until he heard if he got the waiver or not. So technically speaking he still a member of Wake Forest. so if he decides to go into the draft that’s it. There would be no point to transfer. He will just finish his Degree at Wake Forest online. You are right about one thing, I don’t know what will happen but I have a strong feeling of how I think this going to end up playing out. I’m not usually wrong about these things, however I will admit that I am wrong from time to time and when I end up being proven wrong I always own up to it. I apologise for sounding like a douchebag. I mis-read what you posted about me being little, I was wrong and you were just trying to help, I’m sorry.

• _lilman_
      2:12 pm June 20, 2020 Permalink

This is the exact reason most Kentucky fans get labeled as loons. One article comes out about the draft deadline and it’s automatically a doomsday event. Everyone calm down and let it play out, Cal knows what he is doing

2:30 pm June 20, 2020 Permalink

To be honest when it comes to Center position ,”Cal knowing what he’s doing”, hasn’t been as reassuring as it has been in years past. So please forgive my skepticaism!

• Bluehender
      1:57 pm June 20, 2020 Permalink

Apology accepted CJK. You’re opinions are most always good. Have a great day and Go Cats!!

2:37 pm June 20, 2020 Permalink

**Isaiah Jackson**

• 4everUKBlue
      2:40 pm June 20, 2020 Permalink

CJK must have a direct line to Cal.

3:13 pm June 20, 2020 Permalink

I don’t. In fact I have never met Cal in person,or have actually spoken to Coach Cal before. I was being hypothetical. If Brooks did decide to enter the draft, the logical best options for UK at the 4 and 5 would be Ware at the four and Jackson at the 5 as of right now, that can change. If Brooks stays at UK then I think Brooks starts at the 4 with Jackson at the 5, it will be the smallest team UK has ever had under Cal and a team that would have to rely a lot on 3 point and perimeter shooting as well as ball handling.

• ClutchCargo
      4:05 pm June 20, 2020 Permalink

CJK, please stop making stuff up and passing it off as facts. A school can’t apply for a waiver for a player who is on another school’s team. How does that get past your so-called common sense test?

4:14 pm June 20, 2020 Permalink

UK didn’t file the waiver Sarr did that himself UK only received confirmation that a waiver was filled.

5. dan1965
    1:20 pm June 20, 2020 Permalink

Yeah the NCAA will definitely use this against UK and Sarr I believe ! Anyway the NCAA can screw Kentucky, but let Ole Roy and K walk is all good to them !

• Ez21
      5:05 pm June 20, 2020 Permalink

I’m not trying to point you out specifically however, it’s just the most recent occurrence I’ve seen. I wish people would stop saying well the NCAA won’t punish Duke or UNC. Whether it’s true, it makes us seem jealous and makes it seem as if we are always worried about them. I see it everyday on here so it’s not just you like I said but when it’s repeated every single day then it reads as if we are jealous for some reason.

6. Wild Turkey 101
    1:26 pm June 20, 2020 Permalink

Makur Maker next man up!

• IrishCat
      1:28 pm June 20, 2020 Permalink

The timeline definitely seems favorable to that possibility.

1:29 pm June 20, 2020 Permalink

Will probably either play overseas now or elect to go to the G-league and then they draft. From there.

• 4everUKBlue
      2:41 pm June 20, 2020 Permalink

Where are you getting all this inside info CJK?

3:07 pm June 20, 2020 Permalink

It’s not inside info. It a mix between gut feeling and common sense.

• RAGE
      3:57 pm June 20, 2020 Permalink

I fear your gut may be right CJK… Honestly when I saw the headline my first thought wasn’t about Sarr entering the draft.. But that the NCAA will use it against Sarr case of getting waiver to play this season… But I think you are dead on CJK.. I think Sarr will go to the NBA or at least try now this has came about… However I think Keion stays and starts at the 4 next year… Even though am I wrong Keion is just 6’ 6 which really is undersized to play the 4.. But I may be wrong he may be taller than that… I am just saying that really he is another wing

4:17 pm June 20, 2020 Permalink

He can play the 4 he did it a bunch this past season and he actually thrived in that spot.

7. BBN4LIFE03
    1:31 pm June 20, 2020 Permalink

NCAA read Sarr’s argument and said lets make this arguement invalid and screw Kentucky over again!

1:37 pm June 20, 2020 Permalink

It was the NBA’s doing not the NCAA. However they will definitely use it too their advantage in screwing over UK again. It will also serve as thier excuse for justifying thier reasoning for denying Sarr’s wavier request. I bit my last dollar that Sarr enters the draft way before a ruling is ever made. In fact I don’t think it’s even going to get ruled on because there won’t be any reason too.

• Park
      1:38 pm June 20, 2020 Permalink

NCAA has nothing to do with the NBA’s deadline for the draft.

8. BigBluSoTru
    4:26 pm June 20, 2020 Permalink

If the NBA agrees with it and i really don’t see why they wouldn’t to be honest. However it does basically from a statement standpoint from Sarr stating his NBA chances were hurt. This would give the NCAA noting but grounds to deny his waiver. And nothing our fanbase could complain about. He would be given a chance to do as he stated he was wanting to do all along.

9. UKCatAttack
    4:59 pm June 20, 2020 Permalink

CJK relax! Why don’t you freak out once he announces he’s going pro?

10. dcforuk
    5:04 pm June 20, 2020 Permalink

Daggum it!

11. UKBigBlueForever
    5:27 pm June 20, 2020 Permalink

Do you guys remember that Juzang got a waiver for no reason at all right???? Why would they reject Sarrs waiver? Geezus, I’d hate to be in an airplane with you all if a little turbulence happened. You’d be trying to find your skydiving gear and jump out the emergency exit

• dcforuk
      7:19 pm June 20, 2020 Permalink

Healthy Emotional avoidance is unhealthy!

• mashburnfan1
      9:56 pm June 20, 2020 Permalink

May not need to worry about it. Biggest concern should be Sarr now just going to the draft. His entire argument was he dud not have the opportunity to enter draft after Manning left, well now he dies have that opportunity. Not even a one and done, we had a half and done and now we may have a none and done.

12. UKBigBlueForever
    12:30 pm June 21, 2020 Permalink

Right, I agree with mashburn for once.. I’m going to remember this for the rest of my life. The NCAA will grant his waiver but Sarr may elect to go the pro route now so it may be a moot point

13. Johnson.reports
    1:56 pm June 21, 2020 Permalink

If he’s allowed to play by NCAA rules I think he will stay at Uk if not he will enter the draft and not get drafted! Richards will be a better pro and he’s projected a 2nd rounder ! I wouldn’t freek out! IMO