College basketball going international with 3-point line

College basketball will scoot its shooters back almost a foot and a half for that extra point. Beginning this upcoming season, the college 3-point line will match that of international basketball, moving from 20 feet, nine inches, to 22 feet, 1¾ inches.

Yesterday, Coach Cal had this to say about the potential change: “The 3-point line going back, well, it’ll open up the lane maybe. I mean, I don’t know. The idea may be that they want everybody on the same plane from FIBA to whatever. That may be the reason. Either way it doesn’t matter to me, but there are other things that I think would be important.”

The NCAA also approved a change to the shot clock on Wednesday. It will now reset to 20 seconds after an offensive rebound, in hopes of speeding up pace of play.

For more on the changes, check out the NCAA’s release here.

Article written by Drew Franklin

21 Comments for College basketball going international with 3-point line

1. StuckinLville
    3:12 pm June 5, 2019 Permalink

It also means Ashton Hagans will never hit a three again lol his toe was always on the line

• runningunnin.454
      4:01 pm June 5, 2019 Permalink

Moving the three line back will solve that; lol, his toe won’t be on the line anymore, ha ha.

2. secrick
    3:12 pm June 5, 2019 Permalink

I don’t get this pace of play thing. Why in the hell is everyone wanting the games to end quicker. Same with golf, if you don’t want to watch the games don’t and if you don’t want to play golf don’t.

• StillBP
      3:20 pm June 5, 2019 Permalink

They don’t want people to stop watching the games. Less viewers, less money.

• KatsKlaws
      3:26 pm June 5, 2019 Permalink

I don’t think that’s what they mean by pace of play in this instance….

• macattack
      3:42 pm June 5, 2019 Permalink

I think when they say pace of play they mean creating a game that moves quicker. More up and down. More like the international and NBA games. Watching two teams pack it in and heave up bricks all night is boring basketball.

• nocode96
      6:32 pm June 5, 2019 Permalink

They need to tell their refs to let the guys play basketball. Really tired of a hand gently placed on someone’s back being a foul now. Pace of play would be great if it weren’t for the refs.

• tbarron1223
      4:24 am June 6, 2019 Permalink

@nocode. Don’t blame the refs. The refs call what the NCAA mandates.

3. bosch8184
    3:26 pm June 5, 2019 Permalink

“Coaches will be excited to know they can call live-ball timeouts in the final two minutes of games too.”

Well, all of them except Cal anyway.

4. Biggie
    3:26 pm June 5, 2019 Permalink

This article failed to mention them adding review of goaltending in the last two minutes of each half. Go figure, would have been nice to have last year (looking at you LSU!)

• njcat54
      3:34 pm June 5, 2019 Permalink

Right? Especially since it is essentially the ‘Cal’ rule. He said it right after we got screwed.

• grammarpoliceUK
      4:38 pm June 5, 2019 Permalink

The new rule though will be used on called basket interference, so it wouldn’t have been available for us.

5. KentuckyVSEveryone
    4:30 pm June 5, 2019 Permalink

How many rule changes have came into effect the very next year after we have gotten screwed by a call, or should I say blown call by the officials. Reviewing to see if the ball hit the rim on a potential shot clock violation (Wisconsin ‘15 Final Four), now the goaltending call. I am forgetting another one, but it always seems that we are the team that ends up getting royally SCREWED enough for the NCAA to realize something needs to change. Interesting to think about what might have been had those rules already been in effect instead of always being the team that gets the short end of the stick in such a fashion that it initiates a rule change

• mashburnfan1
      5:05 pm June 5, 2019 Permalink

So you think the calls against us were the only ones made like that all year and the only reason the NCAA initiated a change. What a true idiot you are. There are many calls just like that all year long in many games, not to mention the same missed calls in prior years. But we will go with your “they only changed it because it happened in those games vs us”. Maybe they changed the timeout rule to encourage Cal to call a time out with his always young teams. Maybe they are changing the one and done rule because they see Cal can’t get those top 5 draft picks to come to UK anymore, this way they force them to the NBA. Did not know the NCAA thought so much of Cal and UK as all on here say they hate us.

• StuckinLville
      12:18 am June 6, 2019 Permalink

Mashburn, just shut up. Whole point is something as obvious as shot clock violation should not be missed in a final four. These refs are supposed to be the best. But after watching game 3 of the finals tonight, it’s clear refs suck in general. But again, just shut up. I don’t even get how u call urself UK fan.

• KentuckyVSEveryone
      1:35 am June 6, 2019 Permalink

So I am the idiot huh…well why don’t you do some research before you just start acting like you know everything. The NCAA Rules Committee flat out sighted the Wisconsin/UK game as a reason for the rule change after the 2015 season. I’m not saying that UK is the only school that is happens to that year, I was just pointing out that it happens to us EVERY SINGLE YEAR! You truly are a pathetic, sad sad soul putting words in people’s mouths just so that you can call them an idiot. But if makes you feel like a big man then by all means continue…all you’re doing is entertaining me by looking like a jacka$$

6. TOMCATS1990
    7:06 pm June 5, 2019 Permalink

Well we haven’t been great lately from the other line so maybe moving it back will solve both of UKs issues. Better % from 3 and open up the lane for better penetration aka Dribble Drive

7. michaelb
    3:23 am June 6, 2019 Permalink

It’s dumb for them to tinker with pace ( 20 sec reset ) and move the three back also . It’s almost hypocritical. It’s already tough enough to hit a 3 . They want more possessions for bigger scores but lessening the number of 3s made ? I’m with coach on this one . Why bother ?

8. BBNBRIAN
    8:25 am June 6, 2019 Permalink

“(Shotclock is) reset to 20 seconds after an offensive rebound…”

I understand wanting to speed up the game, but this rule change irritates me! I get it, they don’t have to dribble the full length of the court, but the additional time is often used to reset/call a play. To me it feels like you’re putting the offensive team at a disadvantage because they did something good…

• michaelb
      7:37 pm June 6, 2019 Permalink

Yea it favors the team that is down 2 points late in the game . I hope they rescind this

9. Big Sexy
    10:59 pm June 6, 2019 Permalink

“The panel approved a proposal where players will be assessed a technical foul should they use derogatory language about an opponent’s gender, gender expression, gender identify.”

So if player A turns to the ref and says, “HE(player B) fouled me” could player B say, “I identify as a she and that was offensive”. Then player A gets a technical. 🙂 It’s the crazy world we live in.