Coaches want to share a beer with Bob Huggins and bourbon with Calipari

norm-huggy

CBS’ Candid Coaches series rolls on this afternoon with a question I think all of us have asked ourselves at some point in our fandom: Who’s the coach you’d most like to have a beer with?

Of the over 100 coaches asked, 29% said West Virginia’s Bob Huggins, far and away the most popular answer. Huggy Bear was followed by Kansas’ Bill Self at 15% and Michigan State’s Tom Izzo at 10%. John Calipari was among the group of coaches who received at least three votes, along with Nebraska’s Tim Miles, Gonzaga’s Mark Few, and Notre Dame’s Mike Brey.

One coach said he chose Calipari because of all his stories, but he’d rather bond over bourbon.

“Not even close. No one would have more stories and more revealing stories than Calipari. Woodford Reserve, we would be in Kentucky, so we would HAVE to have bourbon.”

That’s fine and all, but this is my favorite response:

“Bob Huggins. Funny guy who reminds me of Norm from Cheers! Whatever the big fella wants to drink!”

Check out the rest of the responses at the link below:

[CBS Sports]

9 Comments for Coaches want to share a beer with Bob Huggins and bourbon with Calipari

1. Dee
    4:21 pm August 30, 2016 Permalink

Nice work on the Photoshop.

2. BiasedBigfoot
    4:47 pm August 30, 2016 Permalink

Buggy bear seems more likable now than he did 5 years ago.

3. sincitycat
    4:54 pm August 30, 2016 Permalink

One of the biggest thrills/honors of my life was having a glass of Maker’s with Mr. Wildcat at an SEC tournament. I even have a picture in my Wildcat room of that wonderful evening.

4. runningunnin.454
    5:33 pm August 30, 2016 Permalink

I’d have to pick Cal; Huggins would be ok, and Brey would be interesting; but, Self and Izzo would be crying in their beer all night.

5. jeremyt
    6:45 pm August 30, 2016 Permalink

I actually did have a beer with Higgie Bear 6/27/16 at the Delta sky club in Atlanta. He was an ass.

• Atlas
      1:27 pm August 31, 2016 Permalink

Jeremyt is correct. I’ve seen multiple flight crews refuse to fly West Virginia Charter flights because of him.

6. jeremyt
    6:49 pm August 30, 2016 Permalink

Huggie*

7. UK Big Board Update
    7:12 pm August 30, 2016 Permalink

I was coming back from a job in New Jersey, when we got a room at the Waterfront Hotel in WV. Huggins did his call-in show at Regatta, the hotel restaurant, and afterward I spoke with him about some teams playing on TV over a few beers at the bar. He was a very down to earth, level dude. Had nothing but good things to say about UK and Cal, of course. I’ve liked him ever since.

• runningunnin.454
      7:49 pm August 30, 2016 Permalink

I didn’t much like Huggins when he was at Cincy; but, he’s grown on me the last few years, especially considering his relationship with Cal. He’s a fierce competitor, of course, but he seems more jovial now.
      I looked at the article and noticed Frank Martin was on there; now that would be interesting….
      you wouldn’t get any beer because the bartender would be afraid to get near him…Charles Manson eyes.