Kentucky started its first practice of the season. Kentucky can now have two hours of team skill instruction a week and the first practice was yesterday before the game.
What stood out to me the most is what Metz Camfield had to say about Alex Poythress on the court:
“It was really nice to see Alex Poythress out on the court. Even if he wasn’t going full speed sprinting up and down the floor — he was doing what I’d call a slow run — just to see him on the court, taking jump shots and talking with the guys was great. Poythress’ injury was a major blow to the Wildcats last year. They were able to continue with their winning ways thanks to unprecedented depth, but they sure could have used him. Having Poythress healthy and ready to go this season will be crucial for this team, which has to replace seven players now in the NBA. As Coach Cal has said many times before, Poythress does things that no other player on Kentucky’s roster can do, nor many other players around the country. He did not participate in the five-on-five drills or the scrimmage.
First thing Coach Cal said when he walked out on the floor was, “Man, it’s good to see Alex out here!”
Other points of interest:
- Cal is stressing to only use four dribbles to get down the length of the court.
- There was rust and the team didn’t seem as in sync as past teams.
- Cal doesn’t want any showoffs. A player dropped a pass because he was trying to catch the ball with one hand and Cal was not happy.
- Tyler Ulis is the early team leader. Ulis was giving instructions to players throughout practice and really has stepped up to the leadership role.
- Defenses better watch out for Ulis, Briscoe and Murray on the floor at the same time. Be afraid. be very afraid.
- Be ready for some Labissiere dunks.
- Be ready for Hawkins to throw up some goggles.
- As I have thought since he led a UK Athletics Periscope at the New Commonwealth, it looks like Lee has some series confidence going on this season. We should expect to see him on the court more (hopefully with more dunks).
- There was nothing in the post about Derek Willis. Take that how you will.
Get more of a breakdown and information on each individual player at CoachCal.com